The saddest guitar solo ever?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

David Mason

The saddest guitar solo ever?

Post by David Mason »

This is an adjunctive mutation of the "Like playing the blues??" thread: what is the saddest solo you've ever heard? Any instrument... I've been listening to "Layla and other assorted love songs" and Duane Allman's two solos on "Little Wing" have been frying my noodle. His non-slide playing is much underestimated in my opinion, he had a way with inside bends that's still unmatched and a huge range of expression. Those two solos are really, really sad....
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum10/HTML/200544.html
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

All the songs I play are REALLY sad! Image
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

How about George Harrison "Something" or Jeff Beck "Cause We Ended As Lovers"

ooooooh Paul Desmond w/ Jim Hall "Concierto de Aranjuez"<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Charles French on 10 September 2005 at 07:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (or it may be 'Sleeps').
Derek and the Dominos sure has the goods, tho.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

"Stella Blue", live at the Greek, 89 Image

Brad

Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

A lot has to do with one's mindset at the time. Let's face it, if the Flintstones theme is playing while you're watching your favorite old dog die, It'd probably make 'ya pretty sad everytime you heard it from here on out! ;-)

But, I know what 'ya mean about Layla. Listening to that closeing slide work and realizing that it was pretty much it for Duane is about as sad as it gets.

Robbie Bossert
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

The (steel) solo on Shania Twain's "You are still the one." Saddest thing I've ever heard ... (if you get my drift)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 10 September 2005 at 08:58 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 10 September 2005 at 09:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

For me, Lloyd Green's steel guitar solo in Alan Jackson's hit "Remember When" comes immediately to mind as one of the saddest, yet most beautiful, solos I have ever heard!

Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Oh yeah, Tom Brumley's solo in "Together Again" will always reign as a classic sad solo, too!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

"Together Again"? I thought that was supposed to be a happy song...
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

A Maidens Prayer
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

A steel guitar in the hands of a true artist, pedal or non-pedal, can bring the emotion out of any song or tune.

A steel guitar has a very emotional tone to it to begin with; however, some players can bring out that emotion much better than others.

In fact, have any of you guys ever noticed that the players with the greatest mood swings or the more emotional, if not outright "high strung" seem to have the knack for getting the most emotional tones out of their instruments?

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

Jim -- In my opinion, "Together Again" is one of the oddest songs ever for that very reason. They lyrics ARE happy, while the melody, solo, etc, are so sad. Strange one...
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Ha-ha, Mr. Jim! You're right, but "Together Again" is sort of like "reverse psychology" as far as putting a happy message with a real tear-jerking tune. Agree or disagree? By the way, I missed you in St. Louis, and I hope all is well with you and your family! Perhaps I'll get to meet you next year! Anyway, back on track here, I really enjoy reading everybody's opinions concerning this topic! Keep 'em coming!

Yours truly,
Tay Joslin
Newbern, Tennessee
U.S.A.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Kenny Burrell - " I'm A fool To Want You"
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hey, Tay. Thanks for your well-wishes on my sister. Yes, Together Again is paradoxical in that way. I wonder if anyone can think of any other songs that meet that criterion: the music is sad, but the lyrics are happy, or vice versa... Offhand, I can't think of another one. Any takers?

(Maybe this is too big a detour and should be in its own thread? If so, Moderator, feel free to move it.)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 10 September 2005 at 10:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

I confess that I have never been the Clapton fan that my wife is. I like him, just never was crazy over him. But, the last few DVDs I think have had some great emotional playing.

The first Crossroads Rehab benefit was the killer. Eric played a solo on Old Love that made the tears runs through about 5 or 6 replays. You could feel every pain that guy has ever had in that solo. That is truly the saddest solo I can think of.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

When I think of sad, I often think minor-key. I think this is where blues excels. Two blues songs that come immediately to mind Cadillac Assembly Line by Albert King and especially The Thrill is Gone by B.B. King, which I first heard shortly after I started playing guitar (I think the album came out in '69). Both of these guys had a huge impact on the way I think about space and choice of notes in music.

Away from strict blues forms, Roy Buchanan's first LP has two songs that are among the penultimate expressions of saddness on guitar: Sweet Dreams and The Messiah Will Come Again. I can feel the lyrics in Roy's playing on Sweet Dreams. I believe Roy's reputation is primarily based less on his obvious creativity and technical ability, but more on his ability to coax such raw emotion out of his guitar.

I also agree on Together Again - if it's a happy tune, it's bittersweet at best, and the music and solo belie the lyrics. Another steel playing example that directly connects like that, for me, is Faron Young's version of Apartment #9. Who is that steel player? Sounds a bit like Pete Drake to me - very direct and to the point, and I mean that in a very good way - but I don't know.

Lots of tunes have contradictory music and lyrics. For a reverse example, consider Emmylou Harris' version of Gram Parsons' Luxury Liner, which is a screaming up-tempo Albert Lee barn-burner with lyrics like "I've been a long, lost soul for a long, long, time ... You think I'm lonesome, so do I, so do I"
Bob Smith

Post by Bob Smith »

The steel solo, on George Straits " I Hate Everything" is the best sounding," sad solo" Ive heard in awhile. It crys every note, and leaves you with a good feeling. bob
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Great Subject.

I think BB always broiled my beagle..

Hummingbird (*BB's)

EC and a few of the beatles as mentioned.

Getting back into the guitar with my New Tele is bringing ALL KINDS of things back into my small but special life.

I'm already beginning to notice a change in my neighbors...

EJL<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Eric West on 11 September 2005 at 04:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Al Michalczak

Post by Al Michalczak »

Jimmy Day on "Farewell Party".
Al
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Regarding paradoxical, I thought immediately of "Synchronicity II" by the Police. It's a perky, peppy little pop ditty about a happy family who all seem to be rapidly going insane. Fortunately, a monster crawls out of the lake and eats them before anything bad can happen.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

The raw emotional fills of Lloyd Green on a Johnny Paycheck song called "You'll recover in time" always gave me major goosebumps.I wish I still had that record.
Matt Price

Post by Matt Price »

Frank Zappa's solo on "Watermelon In Easter Hay" off of Joe's Garage deserves mentioning....
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Jimmy Day could haved have played three blind mice,and made you cry.It's in the heart,soul,and hands of the player.He was the master at playing a soulful ballard.It's not WHAT SONG is the saddest,but who is playing it.If I had to pick one,I always liked John H's look at us.