Which songs do you detest the most..

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Harold Dye

Which songs do you detest the most..

Post by Harold Dye »

We all have had to play what the band plays, but there are some songs that really get to me. I got to thinking about all the stuff I have had to play over the years and it really drives me nuts. I think the top three in this order has to be... Don't mess with my toot toot, Achey Breaky heart and Elvira. I know all these songs were mega hits and made gazillions of bucks but what in H**# do you play on these? I always put something there but I can tell you it was not good nor the proper thing to play at the time...it was panic....After a while when the song would start I would head for the head and wait until the spasm was over, but soon everyone thought I had a bladder problem. A steel just don't sound good on some things...i.e. Don't mess with my toot toot. I am glad Rockin' Sidney had a hit, but WHY....
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I hate any song with a 5511 intro!
b0b

Post by b0b »

leroy Brown, when I die, any song where the verse has the same progression as the chorus.

Topic moved to "Music" section as it has nothing to do with pedal Steel.
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

I understand BoB, but it does if you have to play steel on it.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

South's Gonna Do It-Cause nobody plays it right
Adalida- Cause people want to race it
Boot Scootin' Boogie- Cause after what seems like a million times of playing it I have run out of licks.
Orange Blossom Special-Just because

Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Groovy Grub Worm!Yech!

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Sierra Session D-10
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

Proud Mary.

As a (hopefully) ex-rhythm 6-stringer I gotta tell you, that is the most boring song created.

Duh-duh-duh..........duh-duh-duh
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It wouldn't be quite as boring if Tina's tail was in the picture, but I didn't get that gig.

Charlie
Les Pierce

Post by Les Pierce »

Well, no wonder, Charles...you're missing a "Duh". Makes all the difference.

Les

------------------
Strat,Tele
Dekley S-10

J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Raucous gospel.
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

Any song that the singer doesn't know the correct words to and tries to fake them, or some of the members of the band don't know the correct chords and play whatever they want, and won't play the right ones when they are presented to them. "This is the way I play it by God. You either like it or I quit". We've all been there haven't we???? There should be a law that forbids you to play with self centered, mediocre, musicians and singers. Even if you do need the money.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

It would probably be "Wipe Out". I like to play super fast sometimes but this song to me doesn't really open up for steel guitar. If I can get by with it I try to play fill in licks like a keyboard would do. But every once in a while I'll get surprised and it's off to the races we go at 100 mph.
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Anything by Brittney Spears and The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Something about that song that makes me want to puke. Maybe it's because everytime I go to a carnival for ice cream, they have some oldies band there playing it. It's worn out. What's worse is the crowd always loves it, even though they have heard it 417,001,600 times, which is the number of melodic possibilities in the 12 tone scale. Variety is obviously not the spice of their lives. I HATE IT, I tell ya!

I never could stomache any doo wop stuff. That stuff was the dumbing down of good 1,6,2,5 swing and jazz tunes.

Rant,rant, rant
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

All of the above ... playing songs of this ilk is like taking one step forward and two steps back.
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

Charles. I agree with you. If a song could be classified as ugly, Proud Mary would be it.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

"That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh"
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

Anything by Garth!!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Any song that starts out simple, nice, and smooth...and then throws in some weird chord that really serves no purpose. It's like, sometimes the writers must think..."This is a pretty simple 1-2-4-5 progression, so let's just throw in a 7b5th+11dim4th somewhere, so it will have a unique 'hook' sound."

Ugh! Complex chords have a place, but <u>only</u> if they enhance the song. The "song" is everything, but if it's not memorable by virtue of a good melody and meaningful words, a weird chord that doesn't really fit ain't gonna help it!
Barbara Hennerman

Post by Barbara Hennerman »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barbara Hennerman on 21 August 2006 at 01:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I detest the song by Garth Brooks "Friends In Low Places". I prefer the country from the days of Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn,Ray Price and some of the older stars. One of the biggest reasons I prefer them is the quality of steel playing on their records. Anything today out of Nashville I have a hard time accepting. To me most of it is just not country music, including the not so "Grand Ole Opry".
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll".
To hear it once in the next millenium would be one too many.

Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" and "Ain't Going Down Till the Sun Comes Up". Bleeeech.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Cobb on 28 May 2005 at 02:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Achy Breaky Heart! I have said it before and I'll say it again....no-matter how many times I vomit, I still feel the need to hang myself!....also Proud Mary, Louie,Louie, Wolly Bully, Disco, Country Rap=(CRAP) and anything by Toby Keith! Image

------------------
SHO~BUDS, Steelkings,
Fender guitars,
Hilton pedals, Preston
covers, and Taylor(Tut, that is)Resos.

Still Country after all these years....

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 28 May 2005 at 02:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Alan Shank

Post by Alan Shank »

"I detest the song by Garth Brooks "Friends In Low Places"."

Have you heard Mark Chesnutt's version? I like it by Mark.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

While I don't detest it, if I never have to play Johnny B. Good again, it won't be too soon.

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

"Sleepwalk" and "Steel Guitar Rag"
ajm

Post by ajm »

I have been playing for over 30 years. I have been a CCR fan ever since I first heard them in my early teens.

I have NEVER played with a band or even heard one that did Proud Mary even remotely close to the record. (Or Ike and Tina's version either, for that matter.) I have no idea where some of these guys have heard the version of that song that they're doing. There must be a lot of versions that I'm not aware of though, because it usually sounds like everyone in the band is doing a different version at the same time. And when it comes to doing it in the original key, forget about it.

Maybe these bands would have a better time if they learned the material first. Part of the reason that some guys won't like a song is because they are doing a crappy version of it themselves. I'm not saying don't do it your own way. I'm saying to learn it the original way first so that everyone has a common starting point as a BAND, so it sounds like you are all playing the same song, then change it if you feel the need to. You have to know the rules before you can break them.

------------------
Artie McEwan