Murder on Music Row

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

b0b

Post by b0b »

TWAIN: Technology Without An Interesting Name.
<center>-b0b- (geek!)</center>
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

In NYC I heard "Murder on Music row" tonight on the way into town. The blathering idiot DJ said it was a satire about the music scene before it played. When the tune was over she was backtracking like crazy. Saying all this stuff about George Strait feeling that tradition is important and all. Somebody must have gotten on her case during the tune.
One thing is for sure the "radio personalities" that are DJs on the new country stations around here have absolutly no knowlege or interest in music. Its pathetic.

Bob
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Bob - Its sad that in the radio industry the Billy Parkers (Tulsa), Larry Scotts (Shreveport), and Eddie Stubbs (Nashville) of the world aren't running their industry. Today the consultants from Boston are deciding what's to be played in Pine Bluff, AR because they think they know what's best for that marketplace. And in many cases the few program directors who do have authority to cater country music to their marketplace were, until the week before, programming Boyz to Men, Brittany Spears, etc. at some pop music station. Ask many of them today who Wynn Stewart or Skeets McDonald is and they would look at you like they smelled something the dog did and couldn't locate it. A sad state of affairs indeed. Best, Boomer
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

It finally aired in Cincy this morning. I’d read the words, but it was great hearing it and relating to each line. The DJ initially introduced it as a song criticizing how the fans like a lot of that “wimpy pop sounding stuff”.

We had such a long conversation. Of course he acknowledged that the song is NOT about the fans but about the powers that be on Music Row.

He acknowledged that some of the stuff he has to play makes him want to barf at passing it off as “country”. Incidentally, the singer he used as an example started off at as real traditional sounding act. He’s young and good looking enough that they’ve transformed him – as part of the murder conspiracy.

We shared mutual frustrations over the somewhat fraudulent and manipulative practice of overdubbing to convert a country tune into a pop tune—e.g. dubbing synth over steel.

No matter! I’m heading home and I’ve got “Down Every Road” disk #1 in the car. That would be Mooney and Hamlet on Steel, Haggard on vocals.

------------------
HagFan
Jeeter

Post by Jeeter »

I've read all the comments about Murder, but I'm confused as to who really is singing with Jackson on the new release. Seems some can't tell the difference between the Georges.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Jeeter,
That would be George Strait!
Theresa
Tommy Mark

Post by Tommy Mark »

It hasn`t made it this far north yet.We are always way behind you guys and gals. Can`t wait to hear it.

------------------
Manny Shuffles

Post by Manny Shuffles »

coulda left that part about drums in yo face crap out of it.

------------------
swing it til' the wheels fall off! :)
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

"If the shoe fits........."
Leave the part about the drums in there, it sounds awfully close to the truth to me!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Hi, Jenee.

I just now made the connection.

Veterans of steel shows, including Scotty's, have all been impressed with Jenee's fiddle playing. She plays it like it ought to be!

Keep up the good work!

------------------
HagFan
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I remember Jennee from somewhere in the forum.
I agree it's nice to see some young folks with interest in classic country.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Jennee - Good to see you on the forum. Please say "Hello" to your mom & dad, and I hope to see you in Knoxville this year. Best, Boomer
Garryharris

Post by Garryharris »

Money is always the bully and the driving force behind most corporate decisions. A few years ago I was listening to a DJ and a noted country artist here in Nashville. They were discussing a big counry hit in the life of the artist. The DJ asked how many it sold, well the artist replied he wasn't sure. The DJ was relentless and kept asking, "Don't you have a guess as to how many it sold?" The poor artist was backed in to a corner and finally gave a figure of 60,000. I couldn't believe it. I would have thought at least 250,00. There are indications that in the very near future marketing may change that will make a spot for those 60,000 record sales but not now.
Gord Cole

Post by Gord Cole »

Heard it on a Toronto AM station here last nite. The DJ said twice that it was the most requested song they had played in a long while. Also mentioned that it "made a statement" but didn't elaborate.
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

Go to www.billboard.com/charts/country.asp and learn which album's at no. 1 its first week.
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Hey; That is GREAT news!!!! Just think what he could do if he had some smoke & flashing lights!! Way to go George!! When will Nashville wake up?? Ron
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Take a minute and look again at Jenee Keener's post. This is coming from a 17 year old. We gotta do something. Maybe it's time for real country artist to do what bluegrass artist did when they got $!&% canned. Tell em we will do it ourselves our way. The market is there for real country music.

------------------
"Play from your heart"
"Music 1st, Money 2nd"
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Zumsteel D10/11
E9th, E13th, C6th

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Just talked to the "Puppet" D.J. on K.N.I.X in Phoenix.Our local "alledged" country music station,the new program director said it will never be played on that station.Guess which station went off of my radio.No limit on guesses.This is not an offical Forum contest.
Ray