Murder on Music Row

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bo Borland

Murder on Music Row

Post by Bo Borland »

I can not tell you how surprised I was to hear the local (Phila PA) radio station play the tune today!!! This station is typical of the "cosmopolitan" country format.
If it had not been Alan & George it probably never would have gotten air time.
The song gave me chills and I called the station on my cell phone to rave!!
If I was still in radio I would have locked the studio and played it for 24 hours straight.
Maybe the "programmers" will get the message.
I plan to go to the local honky tonk tonite to bust the DJ for not having it yet.

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Bo,
Good for you, that's what it takes for someone to listen. I was impressed when I heard it! Go George & Alan!
Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 25 February 2000 at 04:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Gretzinger

Post by John Gretzinger »

I do believe I heard it on KZLA here in Los Angeles last night on the Mac Davis show. What a surprize, but then again Mac is playing a lot of stuff that is not considered main stream.

Sure is nice to hear a lot of the older "real" country songs.

------------------
MSA D-10
Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer
Skip T

Post by Skip T »

I just heard the "tune" and what a "TUNE" !!! There was one line in the song that said , "...and steel guitars no longer cry...". This song is on Geo S.'s new CD that is to be released Mar 7th (according to this DJ). MAYBE it will get some attention in Nashland. ??? Skip
Ahhh !! Just heard that tune for the 2nd time in 2 hours , and got it on tape !!! It's gona be a good'un here in West Tx.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Skip T on 29 February 2000 at 01:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

You are right about this version getting the air play. The Larry Cordell (bluegrass) and the David Frizzell (with Johnny Cox on steel) have both been out for several months, but bluegrass doesn't get any airplay on the "new country" stations and David Frizzell has just as much chance as a snowball in you know where of getting radio airplay.

We have been doing this song since December, when we got a copy of David's version.

Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I think it's only getting airplay as a JAckson/strait duet. I'm hearing stories it's being followed by a song from Shania.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

<SMALL>I'm hearing stories it's being followed by a song from Shania.</SMALL>
sounds either like some HNC programmer's sick idea of a joke... or somebody is really pointing the finger at one of the murderers Image
Theresa Galbraith

Janice,
Where did you get that from?
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Shania who??

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
Theresa Galbraith

Twain!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Last Monday night I had the pleasure of watching Gregg Galbraith play with the Time Jumpers, and, coincidentally had a chance to sit down and chat with Theresa, his wife. We spoke at length about the song "Murder on Music Row" and agreed that the George Strait/Alan Jackson duet will definitely bring attention to this ever present plight of Country Music. My main concern is this, and I related it to Theresa: Having done record promotion, I am fairly aware of what Joe Public's reaction might be to certain "escoteric themes" such as perpetrated by this song. It is my fear that the woman ironing shirts for her three kids every day, casually listening to the radio will, for the first half dozen plays of this song, wonder just who it was that was murdered, and what is a music row? I fear most of the public not in the business won't understand a lot of what this song is proposing. And the idiom of music is part of the problem in that it is the only form of entertainment that is passive. i.e. when you go to a movie, you go to see the movie; when you're playing tennis or golf, that is your focus; but when you're listening to music, more than likely you're doing something else like driving a car or ironing shirts. The good news is that the industrial power of George Strait and Alan Jackson doing a duet on this song may wake up the industry, if not the public, and that is what ultimately will be best for all of us affected by the scourge existing in Country Music today. Best, Boomer
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Boomer, you are correct!!
I have spoken to a few of the air-"personalities" at the four local country stations around here trying to get a feel for the response to the tune.
The staff at the stations could not care less, there have been few phone calls & I have not heard it it since the first spin they gave it.
I am truely disappointed.

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
this ever present plight of Country Music.
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, if that doesn't put this thread, and every other darned thread, right in a nutshell, I don't know what does.
Nods to Boomer.
-John

Sam, that electric guitar is real purty and all, but it's just too modern
- Judge Hay to Sam McGhee
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Steele on 01 March 2000 at 05:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Boomer,
It was fun the other night listening to the Time Jumpers, like stepping back in time.
Anyway, maybe the duet will stir something up. Perhaps it's already started with George Jones and Jackson's lastest release.
The key is selling to the public.
Let's keep our fingers crossed! Best,Theresa
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

What the ha..ha..ha..heck are you talking about.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Theresa Galbraith

We all know the staying power of George & Alan.
Not all the public will understand the true meaning of the song. But so what, not all people understand things the sameway.
To me the music, meaning steel is what I was raised to appreciate. This makes it country to me. Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 03 March 2000 at 09:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Marty Pollard

Post by Marty Pollard »

Twain? What about him? What a writer!

The sentiment is nice but the tune itself is so-so. I am glad though, to see these two work together, could be an important gesture.

------------------
disclaimer: <a href=http://www.bluevalley.net/~marty/apology3.wav>Just my opinion.</a>!
<a href=http://www.bluevalley.net/~marty/pageda ... .htm>Music page</a>

Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Went to CDNOW website and they have listed
a George's Greatest Hits CD due for release on March 7. I was looking for this song and CDNOW usually lists the song titles
but this one didn't have them listed. I guess
this must be the CD that has the song; does anyone know for sure?

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

At 7:20cst the audience in the opry house was cheering on Larry Cordell and Lonesome
Standerd Time

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

Marty,
Twain was alright as a writer but I kind of favor Disney Gillespie because of how much he has done for the children.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 05 March 2000 at 11:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Chip,
This song will be on the Greatest Hits CD!
Theresa
Mac Lloyd

Post by Mac Lloyd »

My, baby thinks thinks she' a twain. Image

Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks Theresa...I'll be ordering that one.
Chips Ahoy
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

<SMALL>Twain was alright as a writer but I kind of favor Disney Gillespie because of how much he has done for the children.</SMALL>
But Elephants Gerald did so much for the animals.