Thoughts on 12 string vs 10…hard to change?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

I looked, but what does "two week neck" mean?
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Two weeks notice after detection of a “jazz chord.”
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

Ahhh! Thanks. Hilarious. Not bragging, but I can get two weeks after some of the stuff that comes out of my E9. Proud to say though I’ll never get fired for my attitude, which is always the best reason.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I was about 3 years into playing E9 S10 when I decided to take the S12 plunge. Those bottom two strings gave me fits for a couple of months, but I just kept running my picking exercises into them until I got used to how 12 strings sounds, looks, and feels. I was not aware of a string spacing difference, so that is interesting. I have experimented with bare-fingered picking on both 10- and 12-string necks, and it does seem more difficult on the 12, to the point where going back to fingerpicks is my final decision on the matter.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Mr. John Huey is the person I heard refer to the E9th neck as the Money Neck, At the Washington Pa. Steel Show.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Fred, I was also bemused by the mention of string spacing. Bit of a red herring. 10-string is tight enough already, and there would be no benefit in making things even trickier.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Nice thing about a 12 string is that you have a low tonic note in no-pedals position on string 12; and a low tonic note in pedals AB position on string 11 (when pedal B is hooked up to raise that G# string--like the other 2 G#s.)
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Also, I hook up the low E to the F lever, but instead of raising, it goes down to C# to give a low root in the AF position
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I think that 12 strings forces the player to develop a more correct picking hand technique, freely “hovering” back and out in the same picking stance instead of resting on a back neck or a pad and trying to reach out with the fingers, which is something some get away with on an 8 or 10 string... on a 12 string you won't.

I would theorize that this would be the biggest hurdle to overcome for those with a sloppy picking hand technique.

Yes, there is the visual difference to locate string groups and patterns, but I think that a week of conscious practice takes care of that long before re-learning a picking hand that was picking out of a rested wrist.
Once that’s acquired, it would make a better 10 string player.

I went from thumb + 2 finger picks to a 3rd finger pick at age 55. It's a 1 month struggle, and 2 months later it's part of the life... a 3 month thing.

Can you play a Day or Emmons setup? Can you switch the E-lower lever to the right or left knee?... it's a 3 month thing.

All these things is like learning to ride a bike... once it's "in", it's there for life.

… JD.
Last edited by J D Sauser on 29 Oct 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I agree. Having nowhere to lean makes for good discipline.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I even moved my E raise and lower to right knee, When I changed to 12U. I had no big problem with the knee levers it took a little wood shedding and all worked out good.

The hardest problem I had was with the 10B-8E-6G# grip. On Jeff Newman's 12 Uni. tuning, The grip is now 9B-8E-6G#, A 1 string took several hours of Wood Shedding, To get a near 50 years of memory changed to the new grip.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Ian, I also have my E to F lever hooked up to string 12 to send it down to C#. Good for scaring guitar players!
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Chris Brooks wrote:Ian, I also have my E to F lever hooked up to string 12 to send it down to C#. Good for scaring guitar players!
Yikes yeah as a guitar player I wish steelers would tune to Db instead.
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Went from my 8 string Fender 400 (custom tuning) to a Mullen SD12 (extended D9) so it was pretty much like starting a completely new instrument ;-)

I'd originally ordered a Mullen SD10 but while I was waiting for the build day to come I thought, why not go for a 12? If I hate it I can always leave strings 11 & 12 off. I changed my order and I'm so glad I did. I'd definitely feel like I was missing out if I went to a 10 :)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

12 string steels are cool.

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

...and keyless ones are cool and short :)

John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Wondering what the string spacing at the fingers are?
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Same as on a 10-string. There seems to be a notion that the spacing on a 12-string must be tighter, but no. The guitar is wider, unsurprisingly :)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Ian:

I'm changing strings for the first time on my new keyless Williams. I'm finding it challenging to maintain that 1/4" that Bill R. recommends (between the nut-roller and the string-holding block); you can start that way but, once you tune up, the block has to move away from the nut.

It's my first keyless.

This is how it came but, halfway through changing them, they're all over the place!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I wouldn't worry. It's only a recommendation, and Bill's had more practice! This is how mine looks, and it plays and sounds just fine

Last edited by Ian Rae on 4 Nov 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Ian.

I don't care for them aesthetically, but I must say the tuning is really stable. I barely have to touch it whereas my Emmons is prey to the ups-and-downs of FL weather.

I finished changing strings and mine's not quite as neat as yours, Ian. It's certainly nothing like it was when new two months ago!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Roger Rettig wrote:Thanks, Ian.

I don't care for them aesthetically, but I must say the tuning is really stable. I barely have to touch it whereas my Emmons is prey to the ups-and-downs of FL weather.

I finished changing strings and mine's not quite as neat as yours, Ian. It's certainly nothing like it was when new two months ago!
Doesn’t look too untidy at all. But you could see if you can swap for a new one. :)
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

The Williams changer isn't particularly pretty, but it's efficient and rock solid - I seldom have to touch it.
Obviously the shorter the length of string between the nut and the anchor screw, the more stable it will be - that's the whole point of a keyless tuner.

(In my own tuner design that length is zero)

Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

My trick with my Williams keyless is to lay the string in between nut rollers, pull it taut, lock it down, and then lift the string up to the roller. Not that hard to do. And then the extra string is minimal, except in the end ones, which hit the curve of the the metal surround and can't go all the way in...
And yeah, the third string always goes a bit further than the others..
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I think next time I shall try the following: screw the end ones in as far as they will go; screw the rest in level with them; screw the 3rd one in all the way. And use Steve's inter-roller trick too.
Worth a try just for the fun of it :)
Last edited by Ian Rae on 5 Nov 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.