Question about Mullen PRP tuners

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Landon Johnson

Question about Mullen PRP tuners

Post by Landon Johnson »

OK, so I have a Mullen PRP SD-10 coming from a forum member.

I've noticed it has integrated tuners that are built into the headstock rather than bolt-on tuners like other steels I have had.

Mullen says I can send them in if the tuners go bad, and have them rebuilt, or replace the headstocks with new ones and 10 new bolt-on tuners.

Have any other PRP owners come across this issue? What was your solution if/when a tuner fails?

Thanks!!
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yeah, I had a D10 with these machines. Worked fine, nice and tight. Some people like the slick look of these. I didn't have any particlar problems with them, but I like the looks and operation of the mini Grovers personally.

Long as they work OK and there is support available, no reason to change, I guess.
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

Agreed - I am a bit touchy about this after having a Grover fail on my Williams while tuning onstage. Locked up tight. I always keep a spare in my seat. Can't do that here. But been playing 50 years and never had an issue other than this one, so I guess it's just fresh.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The ones in the photo were spares that came with a used guitar I bought. Just for fun, I took them apart just to see if they could be disassembled. The previous owner had boogered up one of the washers/nuts that hold the posts since they are round with no way to grip like a hex nut would have.

I think I found that the washer/nut didn't need to come off to get to the gears if one wanted to lube or repack them, but I defer to the good folks at Mullen. I was told that they do have a proper tool for that if necessary.

My thought is if any problems develop, I would just replace them with the current Grover keyheads vs. having the integrated ones rebuilt.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your new axe.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I always liked he looks of that keyhead. :D
Erv
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

My ‘89 D-10 PRP has these tuners and they are awesome. I’ve had the guitar since ‘90 and only issue I ever had was somehow I managed to snap a keyhead off on the C6th neck at a show. I took off that half and sent it to Mullen and they had it back to me within the week and fixed as good as new for a very reasonable fee if I remember. I believe at the time Mike told me the reason they made those was Del was having problems getting good reliable tuners at that time and decided to make his own. These were very expensive to manufacture and are a testament to Del’s and Mullen’s commitment to quality. I would not ever change them out if it were me.
Landon Johnson

Now that I have the guitar, one more question re: the tuners

Post by Landon Johnson »

OK I received the guitar and the built-in tuners are fantastic - better than others by a long shot. Very precise.

Is there a method or need for lubrication of these tuners?

Boy this guitar is something else!!
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

No need to lube though the screws on top do come loose so I would apply a little blue loctite to each one and tighten it just until it starts to snug.