Ooh, what does this lever do?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Stagner

Ooh, what does this lever do?

Post by Dave Stagner »

My ZB D10 has an aftermarket left knee vertical lever that wasn’t installed properly and isn’t connected to anything. Last night, I did some diagnosis and think I understand what’s wrong with it, and how to fix it.

The question is, what to do with this lever? It’s currently set up Day style on the E9 neck. LKL is E-D#, LKR is E-F. RKL is F#-G, RKR is D#-D. What would be useful/interesting for LKV? Maybe B-Bb? Other ideas?
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Go to the links at the top of the page and go to Copendents, In just a quick look B to A#/Bb, And G# to G seem to be most common. In Mr. Franklin copendent, He lowers his 6th string G# to E.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

My impression is that B to A#/Bb is the most widely used, so I'd be inclined to start with that.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

The B to Bb change is an option. But,can a ZB do split tuning? Granted, there are other uses for it other than splitting the A pedal. When I had my 2 ZBs in the 1970s, I don't think splits were common, if used at all.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Good point, Richard - I hadn't thought of that and I don't know the answer either! I looked under the hood of a ZB once and it is certainly like nothing else...
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

String 1 ++ and
String 2 +

I have this change on LKR, and F#>G on the vertical. Yours would just be the reverse. Both changes get a lot of use.
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

Fred Treece wrote:String 1 ++ and
String 2 +

I have this change on LKR, and F#>G on the vertical. Yours would just be the reverse. Both changes get a lot of use.
Oh, that's a cool idea! I haven't (yet) built any scale technique around those strings anyway, so the only time I use them is with knees, for minors or dominant sevenths. A V-I double stop up there could be really nifty.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I like the first string F#-G#. It's a long throw though.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Good point, Chris. Maybe too long for a vertical.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Fred Treece wrote:Good point, Chris. Maybe too long for a vertical.
I have always found half step changes best for the vertical. I tried the F# to G# on the vertical on my Carter, and it didn't work well. Travel was too long. I put it back to just raising my F# strings to G. I have the F# to G# (along with 2nd string to E, and 6th string to F#) on my RKR. The vertical is best for changes you use along with pedal changes where you can get better leverage on the vertical lever.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 19 Oct 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Re: ZBs....

I'm sure they didn't accommodate splits. On my first D10, I had the B to Bb lower and used it regularly with my A pedal - a perfect C.

I assumed all steels did that as if by magic. I swapped it for a Pro 111 and was shocked that the combination didn't work. It was then I learned that I had just been lucky with the ZB.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

My ZB has the LKV B to Bb and it works just fine :) I played so long without that change that I just "half pedal" A. But it works!

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...