So, tell me about B->Bb...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Lipsey

So, tell me about B->Bb...

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I've always had E->F# on my LKV, recommended by our dear b0b long ago, a nice alt-country change, open->AB->AB+LKV->AB->open, that is smoother than AB<->BC<AB

Other than a nice pedals down minor and some diminished stuff, what do you get from an LKV that does B to Bb?

Thanks!
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

With pedals up the B>Bb does the same thing as dropping E>Eb with A+B pedals down, i.e. changing a I Major to a II 7+9, a la the famous Brumley lick from "Together Again" although he did it differently. There are other uses but this is the most common.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

It also gives you an A#, so you have F#7 on 578 or 457 - release the vertical and lower 8 to resolve to B

It's useful melodically like the RKL on C6
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Steve Leal

Post by Steve Leal »

Hi Steve. Along with what the others said, from your AB position, you can move up one fret, raise Es, keep A pedal down and release B pedal. It gives you the same 6m cord that you currently get in the AB position but one fret up. I use this a lot to have a smoother movement for 1 to 6m instead of moving feet from AB to BC.

Another good use is to get a 7#9 chord by lowering Bs when pressing B pedal and lowering 2 and 9 to C#. Do this cord when you are two frets down from open position. All 10 strings make the chord. I use this to play the 6 chord 7#9 in Nightlife at the AB 1 chord position.

Also can use by itself to get flat 5th chord ( also used in Nightlife.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I use the B to Bb as a split tuning to get full sounding diminished chords like this:

Tab 14

Tab 651

Note that the whole band does not have to play the diminished chord. It is just used in passing. Tab 651 also shows the 7b5 chord in sequence.

You can also use the Bb split tuning to emulate a 1/2 A pedal so with that and pedal B 3 frets up for the open position you get a plethora of chords and note sequences:

Tab 533

Tabs for these are on this page along with examples of the 7b9 chord and many others:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%2 ... 0E9th.html
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I have B—>Bb on a 0 pedal, which splits with A. The vertical takes F# strings to G. I get some darn ugly sounding stuff with that and D#—>D/C#.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Like Fred, I lower string 5 to Bb on a pedal, P4, next to my A pedal (I am a Day player). But I don't really split it A. I use it like pedal 5 on the C neck. On C6 strings 2,3 & 5 lowered to F#, you get that same movement and chord on E9 strings 3, 4, & 5 lowered to Bb. It gives a partial two-ninth chord with no root. Nice change moving from a no pedals E chord to F#9. Of course we do have the roots for that chord on strings 1 & 7.

The reason I don't split is that I am good at half-pedaling the A pedal, and playing both pedals to split comes real close to being in tune on my guitar.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Bunches and bunches of info in this previous discussion.

Be sure to read all the links that are provided by Dave.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=201911

~Lee
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

thanks all! Great food for thought...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck