D’addario nyxl strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Brock

D’addario nyxl strings

Post by John Brock »

Thank you forum
I would like to ask anyone of their first time impressions of these
Ans thanks bOb
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Avery Bradshaw

Post by Avery Bradshaw »

I use the lighter gauge set on my E9th. I love them. I get way more longevity out of the NYXL’s than any other sets I’ve tried and the tone is good and balanced.
MSA Legend D10, Mullen RP D10, Twin Reverb/Little Walter PF89, Hilton Volume Pedal, Walker seat.
Flip Brown

Post by Flip Brown »

I'm a "terminal intermediate' when it comes to pedal steel, but I love these strings. They never break, stay in tune, and sound great.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I tried them when I lived in Florida on my D-10 Franklin. I was given two sets. Hate the packaging with the color coded balls. Seemed stiff and didn't last any longer than others.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

i like them.

the e9 gauges are perfect for most guitars (except sho buds).

i'm not sure how much different they are than 'normal' strings, and i'll often swap in a string from a different set if i break one with no discernible difference in tone.
Jerry Horch

Strings

Post by Jerry Horch »

I’m in line with Jack…but I may get a set to try out again…
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

In the 95 degree heat we gigged in yesterday with these strings (NYXL Light), opens, levers and pedals sagged from ½ up to to a full step down...stayed pretty solid (with small drifts) once everything was retuned...

Is that typical of any other strings?
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Steve Lipsey wrote:
Is that typical of any other strings?
Yes. I would not blame the strings at all.
---------------------------------------------------

I tried a NYXL 12 string set -- actually, I bought a C6 set and a couple of singles to make up my E9/B6 needs. They sounded good and performed well.

I buy all my strings from juststrings.com in single-gauge dozen packs and the resultant difference in price per set vs. a set of NYXL's is so extreme that the D'Ads would have had to be way way way better than the juststring strings to get me to shell out the $$. For me, they are not. I'm too cheap to spend 3 or 4 times more for an incremental upgrade.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Ive been using NYXL's (PF's gauges) for a few years now, and have found them the best for longevity and staying in tune well, and great tone ... love em, and have no issues with the coloured ball ends - pretty easy to work with all round.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

I did not like them at all. And I will sell them at 50 cents on the dollar shipped. I'll post it in the accessories for sale section to be legit. Please buy the whole lot—$ 5 for the plain strings and $40 for the wound Shipped.

042w x 5
036w x 5
030w x 5
026w x 5
018p x 5
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I agree with Jon. The price difference didn't make sense for the slight increase in performance. I still use SIT or D'Addario.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I have 3 full sets and some spare plains on the way from JustStrings. I usually don’t notice much difference between string brands, so there better be something in NYXL’s that makes them twice the price better.
John Brock

Nyxl strings

Post by John Brock »

Thanks to all who commented…
I took the cobra coils off and put the nyxl’s on and….
Wow..what a difference…but
They tuned up faster than any string ever on any guitar Ive strung
Stay in tune so far perfect
Tone….Im thinking its me
Took the Bakersfield sound out of it
But..if it it gets too much Ive got One last set of Cobra Coils
God Bless you all
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Just figured out that half-step sag in my newly-installed D'Addario NYXLs...it seems that I also hit the "½ step down" button on my tuner at the same time....and only on using my gig tuner a week later, which happened to be on a 95 degree day, did I see a sag, which actually wasn't real...but went away when I got home again, into the air conditioning...and the maladjusted tuner...
The NYXLs actually only dropped a tiny bit in the extreme heat and now perform flawlessly....
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Are there any shout-outs for Stringjoy strings? They look to be in the same price range as the NYXLs.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

I've used both Stringjoy and NYXL. I feel they're nearly interchangable. If you use custom sets, Stringjoy will do that, NYXL won't. Both excellent strings.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Christopher Woitach

Post by Christopher Woitach »

I’ve been using them pretty much since they first came out - the first set I put on felt oddly sticky to the bar, and I wasn’t happy. I posted here, asking if anyone else had had that issue, and received a private message from a representative of D’Addario, offering me a free replacement set to try them again. I said “sure!”, it seemed worth it to try again for free. He also sent me a little tin of a string cleaner, which was nice, although I don’t usually use those kind of products.

I put the replacement set on (I play Bb6 12 string so all my gauges are different than most players, I buy multiple single strings and make my own sets). They were wonderful, lasted a long time (I don’t change strings often anyway, not till the changes need regular adjustment), and they really worked for me. I also posted that here, mentioning how much they were standing by the product (most likely because they were new and didn’t want unhappy customers at the time).

I’ve used nothing else since then, don’t care about the cost. On my archtop I use Thomastik strings, so I’m used to paying a lot for strings.

Just my experience.
Christopher Woitach
cw@affmusic.com
www.affmusic.com
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi John,

I read an older post (can't recall under what title...) that kind of explains NYXL's difference and popularity with some.

It was discribed as a "highly magnetic alloy", and that it's 'sharpness' in sound falls between nickel and stainless steel.

It has been said that all guitar strings are mostly the same. Some companies may get these "normal" strings and try freezing them, (or whatever else) to alter the string's sound. If something like that had been done to the "NYXL", I don't know....

But my experience with stainless steel was that it was too sharp sounding, and nickel was not sharp enough. I know that is all subjective, where some people may choose either side. But I choose the NYXL's because it sounded "just right".

It is different.......Pat.