Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news and will offer prayers for his family. We talked through pm’s and I could tell he was a great person.
Dave Ziebarth

Post by Dave Ziebarth »

My heartfelt condolences to Bob's family and friends.
Just want to to take a second to say thank you for everything this forum is about - pedal steel education,
making new friends, swapping gear, trading war stories and copedents, and learning new music. I know this forum will continue on - just a tip of the hat to Bob for all he's done.[/list]
Gary Kaye

b0b

Post by Gary Kaye »

Deepest condolences to one great person who will be missed and never forgotten! Thank you for everything you have done!
Michael Berry

RIP b0b

Post by Michael Berry »

Very sorry to see this. Much gratitude and respect to b0b and deepest condolences to the family. I work in IT and would be happy to lend a hand if needed. I’ve learned more about pedal steel from this forum, thanks to b0b, than from anywhere.
RIP
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

He has left his mark for the steel guitar,he will be remembered. Thanks for everything Bob.
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

My respect to bOb and condolences to his family. His work and love of steel guitar was so important to this community. RIP bOb.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

I've kinda known b0b since the '70's. I say kinda because I'm not sure anyone outside his family really knew him. He was a very private person, even though he created this amazing communication center. What a wonderful niche in the Steel Guitar World that he made for himself, and even more for us. His family must be so proud. R.I.P. b0b, ya done good.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Prayer in such abundance.. from a very grateful family of musicians.
I was a guest in his home more than once ..
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bruce Heffner

Rip

Post by Bruce Heffner »

Thank you bOb for the creation of the forum which united us globally forever. Your work will go on to future generations of pedal steel guitar players and unite, inform and inspire them as it did for us. Thank you so much.
Bruce from Arizona these days
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

RIP b0b...and thank you
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

Rest in peace, my friend. Thanks for everything.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

RIP bOb was a good friend to the steel guitar community.

RC
Andy DePaule

My friend of 45 years gone....

Post by Andy DePaule »

Sincere condolences to B0b's family and may he rest in peace.

My friend of 45 years gone.... :cry:
I got a message yesterday, but was on the way to the Dallas Steel Jamboree and the motel last night didn't have working internet.

I met Bob in 1978 when my friend Chris (RIP) and I were trying to re-build our band in San Francisco after a move from Willits, CA.
We had almost identical S-10 Sho~Buds with 5 pedals &1 knee.
The difference was he could play good stuff on his and I was just getting past the beginning part.
Bob didn't play like everyone else, but he played well and with all his heart.

Bob introduced me to John Sala who also helped me to get better teaching me loads of licks. That was about the same time I'd met Tom Bradshaw. How lucky was that to get to know these three great people at just the right time.

Bob had a gig at the Castel Club on Gery Street. John often sat in and I would back them up on bass whenever I could. Johnny would play guitar and sing sometimes.
There was another fellow who played rhythm guitar and sang, but his name escapes me?

Bob was also the first person I knew well who was into computers before I even knew what someone might want one for.
I remember he had moved to Petaluma, CA and I stopped in for a visit. I don't remember the year, but Bob was using a cassette recorder for the memory some it must have been a long time ago? Maybe it was one of those very early Apples, I'm not sure because it was all a mystery to me back then.

I hope Bob can still somehow look down on all of us members and know how much he has enriched all our lives.
This is indeed a very very sad time. :(

Bob At The Castle Club with Johnny Johnson and Danny Rose about 1978 or 79.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 9 Mar 2023 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

b0b guided a disparate group into the digital world of the burgeoning World Wide Web.
The right man with the right skill sets at the right time… is seldom an accident.
Rest In Peace
emil noothout

Post by emil noothout »

The forum has been enormously important for me for more then twenty years, and i want to express my gratitude for what Bob has done. Condolences to the family.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I was off for a few days and just read this. I am in shock and still cannot believe it. The Steel Guitar community has changed from isolated islands in the musical world to a tight family and the credit for this change goes almost exclusively to bOb.
Through the years, we all got used to this easy way to communicate that it is impossible to imagine the Steel Guitar World without the Forum and the man who had the vision and made it happen. So many friendships originated here, so many personal ties started here. At Steel Shows we were all looking at the names on the badge, often followed by a smile and the words „I know you from the Forum!“
The legacy that bOb leaves behind is immense and will last as long as there is a Steel Guitar around.
Thanks bOb for everything you did from the bottom of my heart and my heartfelt condolences to the family.
Go rest high on that mountain, bOb!

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Tyler Nuffer

Post by Tyler Nuffer »

The creation of this forum and community has inspired me immensely and I would not be as far along on my steel guitar journey without this invaluable resource.

Rest in Peace Bobby Lee and thank you.
Ad Kersten

Post by Ad Kersten »

This is very sad news... b0b gave us an immensive tool to communicate, help and learn from eachother. Being member of the SGF for 23 years now, I have "met" b0b so many times and with great pleasure.

My sincere condoleance to Jean, Lori and the rest of the family for this great and too early loss. :cry:
Zumsteel S12U
Yo, Man!
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

Dave Van Allen wrote:b0b guided a disparate group into the digital world of the burgeoning World Wide Web.
The right man with the right skill sets at the right time… is seldom an accident.
Rest In Peace
There's the truth right there. Bob was a man of the ages. His was a solid mission. Thank-you
Geoff Noble

Post by Geoff Noble »

RIP b0b :(

I'm in the UK, I've learned so much from this site, I have a deep sense of gratitude to b0b for having created such a great resource and repository of knowledge on all things steel.

Condolences to his family.
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Oh man. I would have never picked up the steel if it wasn't for this forum. His contribution to the world of steel guitars can't be overestimated, I think. And on top of that he was a role model of how a moderator should conduct himself. I only exchanged mails with b0b, but he was always super nice. I will really miss him and my thoughts are with his loved ones during this time.
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Wayne Brown

steel guitar

Post by Wayne Brown »

R.I.P. BoB And thanks for everything you have done to help the steel guitar community.
Wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I am just seeing this and have few words. This forum changed my life in the most positive way. RIP Bobby and thank you for everything you’ve done for this community.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

This is sad news indeed. The forum has been a fantastic source of knowledge for all of us, and b0b made sure we all behaved. We had many discussions when I designed the current forum logo, and he was always a pleasure to deal with. He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

A huge loss to the steel community, my sincere condolences to the Family and Friends.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.