Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
Lori Lee Smith
Site Admin

Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Post by Lori Lee Smith »

It is with immense sadness the Lee family is sharing news that Bobby Lee, founder of the Steel Guitar Forum and Forum Store, passed away in his home the morning of March 7, 2023.

We ask for your time and patience to allow us to be in our grief; to share time with friends and family; and to celebrate the goodness he brought to our lives.

Please visit and feel free to share a story or picture on his Memorial web page. Daughter Shoshanah shared a beautiful tribute here.

The Steel Guitar Forum will live on for as long as the technology allows and will continue to be managed by Bob's family to ensure his Legacy is honored. That said, the Steel Guitar Forum will likely outlive most of us just as it has already outlived its founder, Bobby Lee.

~ The Lee Family

Correspondence may be sent to Bobby's wife of 45 years, Jean Lee:

Jean Lee
303 Ranch House Dr
Cloverdale, CA 95425
Ph 707-669-0391

Donations towards expenses submitted HERE.
Last edited by Lori Lee Smith on 22 Mar 2023 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I saw this new section this morning before anything had been posted and I was hoping that it was for future use. This must be a dream I'm having. I just cannot believe that we've lost the Daddy of the Steel Guitar Forum Bobby Lee. I'm like a lot of others, I'm sure, just at a total loss for words.

God Bless b0b, Mrs. Jean, Lori Lee, his family and his steel guitar family. This is a devastating loss but what a Legacy he leaves behind.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 8 Mar 2023 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I have no words….
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

A Shock!

Thank You b0b and prayers for the family.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

devastating news. safe travels b0b, we can't thank you enough
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Immense sadness and overwhelming gratitude for the years and labor.

I lift a virtual glass!

My thoughts are with the family, friends and the rest of the community.

Howard Parker
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Oh no - this is like a punch to the gut! I’m just in shock. My condolences to the family.

I live about 20 miles south of Cloverdale in Windsor, and have spent a fair amount of time with Bobby at music events since moving to Sonoma County 26 years ago. We weren’t great friends, more like acquaintances, but I always enjoyed being around him. Just a really good guy, and a fine steel player and musician. If they still had the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame going, Mr. Lee would have a plaque there for his incalculable contributions in founding and running the Forum.

Lori, if there is going to be a public service or memorial I trust you will let us know here because I would like to attend.
Mark
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

My sincerest condolences to the family.

b0b was one of the greatest forces the world has yet seen in promoting the steel guitar. His impact on the field is immeasurable -- and his loss is devastating to those who spent a few decades reading his musings on a regular basis.

Fare thee well, sir. Enjoy your time playing the Great Gig in the Sky.
David Hartley

Post by David Hartley »

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to the family
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bobby was a true gentleman, and he was such a straightforward and humble friend.

Bobby’s brainchild affected my life in such a positive way. To discover the forum at just the right time in my life and to be educated on the history of the instrument and the players, and the instrument and its traditions, there is no way I could have found a more encouraging community, because that is the model Bobby created: a real community with respect and enthusiasm. It is not a perfect world and we will always find differences, but Bobby led by example that divisiveness did not belong.

He opened a lot of minds, ears, hearts, wallets….and the world would not be the same if he hadn’t followed through with his idea.

So long, b0b.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

This years Dallas show will be particularly poignant. It has been 20 years since I was last there, learning about it and steel guitar because of b0b's life work. My life was immeasurably enriched because b0b was in this world. An incredible achievement and a life well lived. He will be mourned and missed by us all.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Aaron Clinton

Post by Aaron Clinton »

Thank-you for everything b0b.
and don't forget to boogie
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

Much thanks & respect to Bob. Prayers for the family. His work with this page is far reaching.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

So sorry to see this. I always enjoyed talking with Bob at some of the steel shows. Reading the posts on the Steel Guitar Forum has been a part of my morning's ritual for many years now. As Mike Neer mentioned, it has helped so many musicians learn, grow and make new friends.
Thank you, Bob. My condolences to the family. May his memory be a blessing.
Chuck
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Bobby had the humility to resist the all plaudits for being the originator of the forum, rightly expressing that it was a right place at the right time thing. But I submit that there are precious few people who could have guided it to become as important as it is and who had the temperament to allow for its longevity -- something that so many forums can't claim due to their hijacking by loud and destructive people. Bob had a way that allowed the purpose of this forum to flourish.

I am so sad for his family and his close friends. And for myself.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I'm in tears. I have been friends with Bob since the 70's. RIP my dear friend. My thoughts are with the Lee family, his friends, ans steel guitar players all over the world. Bob has done as much for the steel guitar as anybody.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

This is such sad news, I'm at a loss for words. I hope b0b's journey from here is a safe one. He will live on in the hearts of all the folks whose lives he has touched here with his wonderful creation, this community, the SGF. Thank you b0b :cry:
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

so very sorry to see this new. b0b is giant, he will be sorely missed. This forum is a refuge of inspiration and learning and community and we've all benefitted so greatly from it. RIP b0b for sure.
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

That is very sad news about Bobby ("bOb") Lee.

Bob did a tremendous service for the steel guitar community by starting the SGF over 20 years ago.
He also set up excellent rules and moderation practices so that the SGF is the most civil online music forum I have seen.

The SGF was clearly a labor of love for Bob, and I'm sure that it took up way more of his time and money than he expected.

He was obviously very dedicated to building a true community of steel guitar players, from raw beginners to seasoned professionals.
Where else could you get your questions answered by Buddy Emmons or Paul Franklin and so many other excellent players?

We cannot thank Bob enough for all he has done for steel guitar players around the world.

My deepest condolences to Bob's family.

- Dave
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Bobby, I will miss you so very much! Thank you so much for your contribution to my life and so many others. Rest in peace dear friend.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

God bless Bob Lee. His contribution to the steel guitar community cannot be overstated.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

This is tragic, and an enormous loss to our community. That goes without saying.

b0b was a great help to me last Summer, constantly revising my setup chart for my new guitar. His suggestions were invaluable. I was aware, though, of some serious health issues he was enduring at that time. How sad that, at a relatively young age, he lost the battle.

Rest in peace, Bobby Lee. You were a real treasure.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Rest in Peace Bob, and thank you so much.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I am so very sorry to read this sad news. b0b's legacy will live on in the lives and work of many thousands of people, and to many of the next generation in turn. His impact on the world of steel guitar is incalculable. Personally, I owe him my gratitude for so many things I have learned and opportunities that have come my way through the SGF. Rest in peace, b0b. And Thank You!

My deepest condolences to his family and personal friends.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I dont know what to say since anything I can would not be worth the time and dedication b0b put into this very large part of my life.

All I can say is RIP b0b and my respects to his family!

I never saw this coming, but its so sad non the less!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days