Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
Jim Arnold

Post by Jim Arnold »

You knew you had a friend in bOb even if you'd never met him. Thanks doesn't begin to express the gratitude I have for this wonderful place that bOb started for us.
Condolences to the Lee family and Happy trails Mr. Lee.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Devastating...thank you for everything and RIP b0b.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Thanks for all you've done, b0b! You created such an amazing community for all of us steelers to appreciate! And through that I've gotten tons of free instruction. Miles of great advice. Access to gear from a marketplace of generally very honest and likeable people. Hours of free music to listen to. And many many good friends, most of whom I will never meet in person, but whom I value none the less for it - and this includes you, my friend. Though our chats were infrequent over the years, and mostly involved SGF business, they still always felt like chatting with a good friend. Ya' done good!
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Daniel Dickie

Post by Daniel Dickie »

Just saw the sad news on Facebook. Really shocked me.
RIP bOb
I wish that I had have known him better and lived on the same continent!
I think he sent me one or 2 emails when I offered to be a moderator.
I am just really starting my pedal steel journey but I know that bOb has created something special here that will keep me occupied for the rest of my life!
Thanks bOb!! We will always remember you.
Condolences to his family and friends too.
Nigel Mullen

Post by Nigel Mullen »

R.I.P. B0B. You have given me many hours of enjoyment on this forum that you created. My thoughts and prayers are with B0b's family. NM
Wade Black

Post by Wade Black »

New…and sincerely appreciative member here. Thank you b0b for this forum and your hard work to preserve and promote knowledge related to the pedal steel. May you rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Paul Wade

Bobby lee

Post by Paul Wade »

OMG just saw this. He was such a gentleman to me as and help me out thru the year's bought alot of string's from the store my god can't believe it he will me Miss prayers are sent to family
Thanks for all you did with this forum

Paul Wade
Ray DeVoe

R I P bOb

Post by Ray DeVoe »

May you rest in peace bOb. Your contribution to the Steel Guitar community is unmatched. We will all miss you.

Ray DeVoe
Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 8 Mar 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

Very sorry to hear of b0b’s passing. Condolences to the family. :cry:
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I am flummoxed.
HowardR and I had been planning to meet for dinner next Monday in NYC. We conversed before my bedtime in Thailand and I awoke to a message about b0b passing.

It feels like the end of an era. I met Bobby Lee twice at ISGC and we had good talks. I was an unofficial ghost moderator to help out for a spell and was very forum-centric for a decade. I’d become more of a reader, the last few years, but still kept a toe in.
I can only say now that b0b and his brainchild positively changed my life for the better and I owe him a debt of gratitude, a decade after I last told him that in person.

RIP Bobby, Howard and I will raise a glass to you Monday evening.
Peep on kicking’ where ever you’ve gone!
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

This hurts my heart!
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Don Sulesky

b0b

Post by Don Sulesky »

Rest in peace b0b.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Ethan Shaw

Post by Ethan Shaw »

b0b has had a huge impact on my life. I wanted to play the steel so badly, but didn't know anything about it. The SGF got me started and kept me going for years, and browsing it is still one of the highlights of my day. Once I got going, b0b was very supportive of my efforts, and was a guru/kindred spirit. His legacy is enormous, and he will be sorely missed.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Rest In Peace Bob.
Bob Grado

Post by Bob Grado »

What a sad day.
All I can say is thank you Bob
The SGF has been a constant well of information
for as long as I can remember. I’m happy to see
that your legacy will live on.
God bless you and your family Bob.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

We met in St. Louis almost 20 years ago at the ISGC. b0b was always very kind, and willing to go the extra mile to fix things on the forum when it was needed. R.I.P. b0b, you'll always be missed and remembered by us all.

Don Mogle

b0b

Post by Don Mogle »

I'm deeply saddened to hear b0b has passed. His efforts to create this Forum and knowledge gained from it has left an indelible impression on my life. I'm a better steel player as a result.

RIP b0b. Prayers God will comfort and grant peace to his family.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I'm beyond shocked by this tragedy. I can't tell you the endless hours I spent reading and commenting on this wonderful platform Bobby created. I made friends, located shows, bought gear and advanced my knowledge of the pedal steel guitar thanks to the work of Bobby Lee. God bless you Bobby Lee, RIP. My prayers to the family and friends of Bobby Lee.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

David L. Donald wrote:I am flummoxed.
HowardR and I had been planning to meet for dinner next Monday in NYC. We conversed before my bedtime in Thailand and I awoke to a message about b0b passing.

It feels like the end of an era. I met Bobby Lee twice at ISGC and we had good talks. I was an unofficial ghost moderator to help out for a spell and was very forum-centric for a decade. I’d become more of a reader, the last few years, but still kept a toe in.

I can only say now that b0b and his brainchild positively changed my life for the better and I owe him a debt of gratitude, a decade after I last told him that in person.

He created a world wide community of widely space lovers of steel guitar and gave them a home. He and Scotty each in their own way gave us homes and brought so many together Bravo!

RIP Bobby, Howard and I will raise a glass to you Monday evening.
Peep on kicking’ where ever you’ve gone!
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Thornton Lewis

Post by Thornton Lewis »

For all he has done for others down here I'm sure St. Peter will bring down the choir, set Buddy and the others aside, and let b0b have his first heavenly ride. RIP invisible sensei.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thank you b0b you were a blessing to so many!
Steve Spitz

Thank you

Post by Steve Spitz »

Thank you b0b.

R.I.P. my friend.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Was very sad to read this post. The forum was and is a valuable source of information.
Bob had just recently posted that it was time to retire. Thank you Bob for all you done to support this great forum. You will be missed. Prayers for all the family.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Brian Saulsman

Post by Brian Saulsman »

So sorry to hear this news - it hit hard even for a nobody like me.
We lost a true gentlemen who leaves a huge legacy.
Thoughts and prayers to his family and to his many friends and well wishers.
All the best
Brian Saulsman
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

This is the safest news that I have heard in a long time. He was a Giant in the Steel Guitar World and my Friend. It breaks my heart tonight. Prayers for his family and many friends all over the world. RIP bOb Lee! Thank You for everything you did for all of us!