Anybody able to identify this steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alex McCollough

Anybody able to identify this steel?

Post by Alex McCollough »

A friend of mine came across it and can't figure out what it may be (other than homebuilt):

[/img]
Mark Perrodin

first guess

Post by Mark Perrodin »

Miller?
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Measure from the nut to the bridge (top of the changer fingers) if it’s 23 inches or 23.5 most likely gonna be a Miller. It does look like a later one. Non Miller pedals though.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

I would buy it just for that inlay.
Alex McCollough

Post by Alex McCollough »

Daniel McKee wrote:Measure from the nut to the bridge (top of the changer fingers) if it’s 23 inches or 23.5 most likely gonna be a Miller. It does look like a later one. Non Miller pedals though.
It's right at 24"
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

My guess is not a Miller, I think it's Homemade. Not a Miller style changer or under carriage.

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Everything points to it being homemade and yes, the inlay is the best bit.

I wonder how it works/sounds.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Mark Perrodin

miller?

Post by Mark Perrodin »

K Maul

Post by K Maul »

The bell cranks and other parts in the undercarriage are identical to a Miller I once had.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I'd guess a Marlin
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

It's a Johnny Cash guitar, "I got it one piece at a time."
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but I can’t locate it so I’m going to ask if the similarities to the Emmons PP have been noticed/discussed. I don’t intend for this to be malicious; I’m curious if this design is pre or post Emmons PP. I haven’t found a patent for the Miller yet….gosh, I really like seeing the evolvement of the instrument. Thanks for any feedback or direction.

The 2-piece finger assembly, the angle retainer for lowering finger tension, the row of tuning holes on the endplate:
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

That inlay on the front looks a lot like the one on Herb's guitar:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... c&start=25

Also similar to the guitars in the pictures posted by Steve Waltz:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=205652
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Maybe a Cherokee Steel. A guy in Ada, Ok made some of these. I cannot think of his name now but used to have a show on TV out of Ada. Also had a music store and help a lot of guys back in the day. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Charlie Weaver maybe. If Larry Hamilton see this he can tells us. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The inlay looks a little different between the guitar and the one in the other forum section. It does not have the V sections where the Front Apron goes under the End Plates. From the parts under the guitar do not look hand made. May have been a earlier or later model.

I am wondering if the guitar was in a bad accident, Or maybe in a auto wreck and the cabinet severely damaged. Some one who was a good craftsman built a new cabinet and replaced the mechanics from the damaged guitar.

There once was a company in Chicago IL, That had many fancy inlays of veneer and border strips. When I was in high school the wood shop teacher had their catalog, Many students ordered fancy inlays to use making jewelry boxes with.