Neil Flanz

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

A picture of Neil he didn't know existed and it was one his favorites. Goodbye my friend.

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I've known Neil since the early 70s. A kind man and excellent player. Rest well old friend.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

hate to hear this. Neil was one of the sweetest guys I've ever met and he lived and breathed steel guitar. he had so many wonderful stories and so much knowledge to share. I'm grateful we became friends and sad that I won't see him again in this life. here's one of those stories about his days with Gram Parsons: https://www.facebook.com/10000472938113 ... 490739461/

love you Neil. thanks for everything

Last edited by scott murray on 3 Dec 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I am very saddened to learn of Neil's passing. It was just a few weeks ago that I had an email from him - we 'conversed' quite regularly. He made no mention of his being not well.

Above pictures were taken at Scotty's ISGC in 2015.
Jamey Maness

Thanks, Neil

Post by Jamey Maness »

Just heard the sad news. He literally taught me everything I know about pedal steel, and was just a funny and interesting person besides. I've still got several hours of recorded lessons on my computer that I refer to when I'm struggling with a song or technique, and I think going back to those lessons will be a nice way to remember him. RIP
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I'm so sorry to hear of Neil's passing! True pioneer and a gentleman through and through. RIP, my friend.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

A pioneer a one of the greats. We lost a legend and leader in steel guitar instruction. RIP Neil.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

Thank you Scott for posting the last two photos of Neil in your tribute. I almost used the last one myself in my tribute to Neil as I had taken it at Scotty's in 2015 along with the ones that I did post. The one of Neil with Billy Robinson I also took in 2015 but at the TSGA Jamboree. RIP to both of these great steel guitarists!
Last edited by Jim R. Harrison on 3 Dec 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Sad news, Herb. I used to drive Neil home to Mom Upchurch's from the Den sometimes (because he didn't drive). We'd go up to his room and drink a beer and listen to Buddy and talk steel guitar. I got my start on steel guitar from his Sho~Bud instruction album. Great guy. Quote: "The C6th neck is mainly for jazz and blues". (You have to imagine him saying that in his unique voice.) :-)
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Cal Sharp wrote:Quote: "The C6th neck is mainly for jazz and blues". (You have to imagine him saying that in his unique voice.) :-)
someone else posted on fb that Neil said the C6 was for WESTERN SWING ONLY! :D

I suppose Buddy was the exception to that rule but you've got to respect a man with principles! RIP Neil
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

RIP Neil Flanz.....

I met him once at The Broken Spoke some years ago when I was visiting Austin.....he was a nice gentleman and I enjoyed listening to his stories.....
Ryan Pinkerton

Post by Ryan Pinkerton »

Saddened to hear this.

Neil was the very first friend I made after moving to Austin in June. I had been taking lessons from Neil off and on for the past six months and had the fortune of driving him to the Little Longhorn a couple Tuesdays when his usual ride was out of town. Neil would always greet you with a smile and was full of stories that were sure to put a smile on your face.

Neil was a world class fella and the world is a sadder place without him here to share his infectious energy.

Thanks for your friendship and guidance, Neil.
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Neil's solo on the live Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels song "Drug Store Truck Driving Man" remains one of my all-time favorite pedal steel performances committed to tape. RIP, Neil.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

So sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers for his family and friends during this difficult time.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Sorry to hear this sad news! His Sho-Bud E9 Steel Guitar instructional Album was an early learning method for me too. He was a Pioneer and Legendary Steel Guitarist! RIPNeil Flanz!
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Neil's introduction by Gram Parsons on a Fallen Angels' appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w1GdG6tVQc
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

This is a sad day in Austin. Neil, besides being one of the greats of the steel guitar, was one of the kindest and most thoughtful gentlemen one could ever meet. In August I dropped by Ginnys to see him with Fingerpistol. We chatted during a break and said I would hang with him some in Dallas. The next morning I received an email thanking me for stopping by. It doesn't get any better than this.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

With my renewed interest in the C6th, I am using this all the time.
One of the ways he will live on.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Same here Bas. I too will use his licks, I learned from his first teaching record, the rest of my life. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

Sad day! Not the best thing to wake up to for sure. Great guy and very helpful if you needed it. He pioneered some great instruction on steel.
RIP my friend.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

I struck up a conversation with Neil at the 2020 Dallas show. I had just been listening to a Gram Parsons live set a few days before the show, so we talked about that and this "new coronavirus thing." Neil really struck me as a special person his with wonderful unique mannerisms. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

There's a nice writeup over at Saving Country
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/gram ... -has-died/
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Just now reading this.
Sad to hear of this.
My condolences to his family & friends.
R.I.P.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

So sad to hear this. Neil was the reason that I took up pedal steel guitar. Great guy and Great Player. Keep mashin' them pedals in Heaven Neil!!
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Very sad to hear of Neil's passing.I was 20 when a friend's band opened for Gram and the Fallen Angels at Max's Kansas City in NYC in early '73. I got to meet Neil and listen to two amazing nights of his playing with Gram and Emmylou. Fantastic steel player and a super nice guy. He helped my friend (David Mansfield) buy his first Sho-Bud directly from the factory (Pro III) and I got David's Maverick a few years later which started my steel obsession.Aside from Rusty Young, Neil's playing was my intro into pedal steel. He was a groundbreaker. Thank you Neil and may you rest high upon the mountain. You won't be forgotten.