Neil Flanz

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Herb Steiner

Neil Flanz

Post by Herb Steiner »

My good friend Neil Flanz passed away yesterday, December 2, 2021, several days after abdominal surgery. He was 83 years of age.

Neil was one of the true pioneers of steel guitar instruction; the album he recorded in the late 60's for the Sho~Bud company started many steel players on the Nashville approach to the E9 tuning. He later assembled an encyclopedic analysis of chord combinations for the C6 tuning.

He played in a number of bands and backed a number of artists during his time in Nashville. For the past 18 years he was a resident of Austin TX, played in bands (notably Fingerpistol) and taught steel guitar privately.

Here's his Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Flanz
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

So sad to see this. Neil's lp of intros and licks helped to get me started, and he became a good friend to me over the years. My condolences to Neil's friends and family. I will miss him.
Mash pedals A and B!
Chuck
Last edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 3 Dec 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Keyton

Post by Jeff Keyton »

Sorry to hear this, R.I.P., Neil. He was very generous with his knowledge, had great stories to tell and told them well.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Sad news. First time I heard Mr. Flanz was with Gram Parsons. Condolences to his family and friends.
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Oh no, Neil so sad to hear this. I wrote Neil a letter in the 80's because I admired his playing on the Gram Parsons album. I was in my teens and we stayed friends until now. I had the fortune to meet him several times in Austin. He had great stories of the past, I got him in contact with Mark Holland from the Gram Parsons Memorial Foundation and he went to play there in Tampa Fl. He was always surprised that I could trace obscure records he played on. It's so sad to lose a friend like Neil. I'll truly miss him,but I'm proud and thankful to be his friend for so many years, may he rest in peace.
Image [/img]
Last edited by Olaf van Roggen on 3 Dec 2021 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I am so sorry to hear this.
Thanks for posting Herb.

Neil and I have been friends since I began working at the ISGC back in 81. He would make it a point to come by the sound booth when he first entered the ballroom.

Neil was not only a pioneer of steel, but he encouraged so many players to "keep at it" even when they were thinking of quitting, like me.

RIP my friend.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Sandra Scott-Wall

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

Neal was inducted into th4 Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2016. Very talented and personable guy. RIP Neal.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Sandra Scott-Wall wrote:Neal was inducted into th4 Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2016. Very talented and personable guy. RIP Neal.
I should also mention that, in addition to the ISGHoF, Neil is to be inducted into the Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame this coming March at the 2022 TSGA Jamboree, sadly posthumously.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sad news. Like many others his Sho-Bud steel guitar licks LP was one of my main learning tools. I also have his C6th chord book.
Neil is the same age as me and we corresponded with each other after his move from Florida to Texas.

RIP friend.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

This is sad news. His Sho~Bud tuitional album sold really well in the UK in the early 70's. I still have my copy, along with the C6 chord book that he wrote. Sorry that he had a difficult end to his life. RIP Neil. :(
Last edited by Ken Byng on 3 Dec 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Austin Starkey

Post by Austin Starkey »

Devastated to hear this news. I was taking lessons from Neil monthly here in Austin. He taught me so much over the past year or so and his attitude for teaching young players like me was admirable. If only I knew our last lesson was a few weeks ago, I would've asked him so many more questions. Blessed to have had the opportunity to know and learn from a legend like him. RIP Neil.
b0b

Post by b0b »

So sorry to hear this. Rest in peace, my friend.
[center]
[/center]
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Bummer,The nicest guy,My condolences.I got to see Neil at one of those Phoenix shows and you tell that he was Royalty!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Hate to read this.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Very sad.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Very sad news. A huge loss to the steel guitar community. RIP Neil.
Geoff Queen

Post by Geoff Queen »

RIP Neil.
Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

Very sad news, Neil was such a kind soul beyond being such a great player. R.I.P.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

We've lost another really great player. A sad day.
Rose Sinclair

Neil Flanz

Post by Rose Sinclair »

Very sad to lose Neil. He was a true gentleman and lived for steel guitar. He had walls of photos and memorabilia and all the stories to go with them. We rode together to the monthly Austin Steel Guitar Coop meetings, and he had gotten interested in photography and became the club's official photographer.

I remember sitting with him at the St. Louis show listening to whomever was playing, and he would quietly attribute each lick to whoever originated it -- "Jimmy Day" "Jerry Byrd" "Buddy." It was like listening to a steel guitar sportscaster! Fascinating. He continued playing regular gigs and teaching until the end.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

One shock after another, this is so sad, losing loved ones, family, musician friends. It is hard to accept for sure.

I met Neil several times at Scotty's and we always had a great time talking. One of the most humble human beings I've ever met.

RIP, my friend.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Many wonderful memories of hanging with Neil at the shows in St. Louis and Dallas. Here's Neil rehearsing with the late Red Kilby.
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

This is a very sad loss. Neil was a dear friend and an inspiration to many and I treasure the memories of time we spent together.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I met Neil and Jock Bartley in 1973 while they were on the Gram Parsons tour (saw all 6 nights at Oliver’s in Boston) and remained friends with them ever since. Neil was not only a fantastic player but a walking encyclopedia of steel guitar history. I spent many hours over the years at Neil’s place in Austin listening to and watching videos of some amazing playing. I will miss him. Rest easy, pal….
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Sad news.
RIP, Neil. Wish I had known you better.