Pedal tension on C pedal pulling three plain strings….

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Scruggs

Pedal tension on C pedal pulling three plain strings….

Post by Chris Scruggs »

If on a MODERN pedal guitar, I were to have my C pedal work double duty, and pull 4 and 5 one full step on E9 (the typical C pedal change) and ALSO pull 4 on C6 a full step as well, would that cause any issue? I know a lot of players now a days pull 8 on E9 a full step on the C pedal… would pulling three plain strings instead be any more problematic or inadvisable?

Thanks, ~Chris Scruggs~
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

The concept is ingenious, having the 3rd pedal double as an old-fashioned P4. It would obviously be stiffer than a dedicated P4, but to find out how much I guess you'd just have to try it.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Steve Leal

Post by Steve Leal »

Hi Chris. I once tried adding a third pull on my C pedal to raise sting 8 a whole tone, and I didn’t like the added tension for my quick BC moves, so I took it back off.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Re: Pedal tension on C pedal pulling three plain...

Post by Johnny Cox »

Chris Scruggs wrote:If on a MODERN pedal guitar, I were to have my C pedal work double duty, and pull 4 and 5 one full step on E9 (the typical C pedal change) and ALSO pull 4 on C6 a full step as well, would that cause any issue? I know a lot of players now a days pull 8 on E9 a full step on the C pedal… would pulling three plain strings instead be any more problematic or inadvisable?

Thanks, ~Chris Scruggs~
Chris, it depends on what extra string you pull and how far, the setup of the pulls and if you have a guitar that has easy action. You can do more if you lengthen the travel on strings 4 and 5 you might not even notice a plain string raising a whole tone.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

On the Franklin I had, I didn't have 3 pulls on the "C" pedal, but there were C6th pedals with 3 and 4 pulls and didn't notice any difference from pedals with 2 pulls.

I also had two knee levers with 3 pulls on E9th and 1 on C6th (both RKL and RKR). Very small difference from the LKL and LKR that only had 2 pulls on each.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 16 Sep 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

It would certainly be stiffer however that can be mitigated by lowering the pullrod(s)in the bellcrank(s)(and/or repositioning the pull rods in the changer hole furthest from the axle)and lengthening the travel. Most modern guitars can handle this.
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Jim Palenscar wrote:It would certainly be stiffer however that can be mitigated by lowering the pullrod(s)in the bellcrank(s)(and/or repositioning the pull rods in the changer hole furthest from the axle)and lengthening the travel. Most modern guitars can handle this.
Yes - Regardless of the pull train adjustment you will still have to accept a longer travel to reduce the pull force (stiffness). Hard to get around physics. Another point; it is not reasonable to compare movements on different strings as the thinner the gauge more force is required. It is easier to pull a wound string too.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Common sense tells me that a pedal that's pulling more strings is supposed to be harder to push!

So add the pull, and then go on playing. :D (And avoid the temptation to fix things that aren't broken.)
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

But to answer the OP regarding ability to accommodate the extra string - the only additional force to be counteracted is on the lever and its connection. The PSG should be able to handle that. If there is so much force the lever/pedal connections would break then it would be unplayable.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I have both pedals and levers pulling 4 strings, and on both very old and newer guitars. Yes, they're stiffer than pedals that pull 2 strings, but it's not really a big deal. I've never tried to balance them, I just adapt to the increased pressure and go on playing.
Joe Hensley

Post by Joe Hensley »

Woo...love ya Chris Scruggs! From the Cobra Joe look-a-like drummer in Boise (BR549 show at the Egyptian Theater many moons ago).