Dirt floor basement find , what is it ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Vic Plowman

Post by Vic Plowman »

justice sd10, ,Webb,Nashville 400, Hilton,goodrich,matchbox
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

What do you mean, "What is it?"

It's a D-12 pedal steel guitar!

:P

That's a cool find. I hope someone can identify the builder.
Vic Plowman

Dirt basement find

Post by Vic Plowman »

I know it’s a d12
I was looking for maybe a builder
justice sd10, ,Webb,Nashville 400, Hilton,goodrich,matchbox
Andy DePaule

Mid 50's to early 60's?

Post by Andy DePaule »

Mid 50's to early 60's is my best guess? No idea who might have built it.
Looks like a kind of copy of a Sho~Bud permanent, but it's not that.
Look at the inside castings to see if maybe it's a Blankenship from Amarillo?
Better close up pictures of the underside would help to make an identification.
I'd bet it would sound great if restored.
Good luck,
Andy :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Those yokes on the E9 pulls are superior to many and reminiscent of Kline or ZB.

I had a D10 of this period that just had crude fishplates to split the pulls, but being pull-release it sounded great. This one could be even better, all other things being equal.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

I have no idea who built it, but those fret boards are way cool!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Ian Rae wrote:Those yokes on the E9 pulls are superior to many and reminiscent of Kline or ZB.

I had a D10 of this period that just had crude fishplates to split the pulls, but being pull-release it sounded great. This one could be even better, all other things being equal.
I think those yokes are on the C6 (assumed) neck. Looks like the pedals attach to the other neck, at the bottom of the pictures, which would make that the front neck. Of course, we don't really know what tunings were on the guitar, and on which neck.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Those fretboards make me think Asian design. Could it be from Fuzzy or another Japanese builder?
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Some aspects of the guitar look like a Miller.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:I have no idea who built it, but those fret boards are way cool!
+1
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

I'm just here to say that that is a great basement find that would probably be a sweet guitar when it's cleaned up, and that I also very much enjoy those fretboards.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

The changer fingers are interesting--the lowers tune vertically through a tab on the finger itself instead of horizontally through some type of crossbar (and pushing against the finger) as do most pull/release guitars. That could possibly be a clue.

Dave
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

This sure is interesting. Even if the builder cannot be identified, a restoration would be warranted. That does it look like from the front? Does it have legs, pedal bar, and pedals with it?
Steeless.
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

Ken Byng wrote:Some aspects of the guitar look like a Miller.
I am going to say definitely not a Miller! Not sure what it is, looks like some early Sho-Bud ideas but not a Bud either.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

David Ball wrote:...the lowers tune vertically through a tab on the finger itself instead of horizontally through some type of crossbar (and pushing against the finger) as do most pull/release guitars...
I was thinking those vertical screws are actually the raise stops, with conventional lower stop screws below that we aren't able see in the posted pics. I experimented with something like that once. Would be cool to see some more detail pics of the changer end.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Andy DePaule

If there are better photos

Post by Andy DePaule »

If there are better photos we'd be able to tell a lot of these details better.
Hope that Vic can get some close up pictures in sharp focus soon. :eek: :whoa: :D
He sure did find a nice example of a steel from that period of time when pedal guitars were still an exciting new thing to be developed. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Andy reminds us that during that period a bunch of people joined the craze but few will have taken it beyond one or two attempts.

Not everyone who built a radio set 100 years ago became a corporation :)
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Ian Worley wrote:
David Ball wrote:...the lowers tune vertically through a tab on the finger itself instead of horizontally through some type of crossbar (and pushing against the finger) as do most pull/release guitars...
I was thinking those vertical screws are actually the raise stops, with conventional lower stop screws below that we aren't able see in the posted pics. I experimented with something like that once. Would be cool to see some more detail pics of the changer end.
Looking at it again, you've got to be right. I must have been thinking backwards! Very interesting at any rate.

Dave
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I love these old mystery steels. I ran across a homemade unmarked d-10 carcass....turned out to be one of the best sounding steels I’ve had.

Keep us updated if you’re restoring this. It looks really cool.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

those four switches on the outside neck are interesting and different.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The changer is interesting. Looks like instead of holding the pedals down and tuning the raise. Then using the horizontal screws to adjust the open tuning. The open strings are tuned then the raises are tuned by the stop screws on the back of the fingers.

The fret boards are neat too, Looks like fallen stars,
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Dave Zirbel wrote:I love these old mystery steels. I ran across a homemade unmarked d-10 carcass....turned out to be one of the best sounding steels I’ve had
My first instrument was a copy of a Permanent D10. It weighed a ton but it played well and sounded great. Frustratingly, there was a rectangle of glue on the front where the maker's name had fallen off!

I never did find out who built it, but they knew what they were doing.