Flight case options

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Neff

Flight case options

Post by John Neff »

For the frequent flyers out there, is there a case that cuts down on weight and/or size? I understand that there's only so much you can do. I'm thinking about playing my Mullen G2 SD10 out more after years of being a mostly stay at home guitar. I know the carpeted case it came in won't last long if I use it. I believe the flight case that my Rains is in was made by Red Dirt Cases. It has served me well, and costs about $150 to check on a flight each way. There's a player around here who foamed out a hard plastic gun case for his Emmons S10, and it's pretty solid and compact.
Thanks in advance.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I have used the SKB drum trap case for years as my flying case -- with the body only of my Zum Hybrid D10 it weighs in at 21 KGs/46lbs ...and I put the pedal bar, legs and rods in another bag ... I did also replace the axles in the two handles with stainless steel bolts - the standard ones are a plastic/carbon rod which doesn't stand up to the rigours of baggage handlers :-}

Here's a link but they can be obtained from a number of places -- you will have to line it with the foam of your choice as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 8QQAvD_BwE
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

The gun case you mentioned is probably the SKB 3614-6, it will fit an s10 w/ pedal bar and legs or a D10 body only. It's a stout case, I have one but I've never flown with it so I can't really speak to how suitable it is. There are optional TSA locks available. They still weigh ~18 lbs. so not exactly lightweight.

https://www.skbcases.com/industrial/pro ... id=652&s=s
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

I second on a SKB-3614-6 case, John. It really cuts down on weight, but is solid as they get and weatherproof too. I have my double neck Bud in one,made my own foam lining, and as Ian mentioned, legs and pedal bar have to go in a separate soft case. But I did see that Brett Resnick fit his D10 Zum and pedals and legs in one with an extra thin divider. Probably the lightest full size guitar in a case I have ever lifted. If I recall correctly, he said a fellow in Nashville makes custom interiors for those SKB cases to fit most guitars and can fir the pedal bar and legs on most modern smaller frame steels.
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
John Neff

Post by John Neff »

Thanks, Paddy, Ian, and Igor!
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

There is also the lightweight case made by Scott Dixon U.K., but also available in US, very light and sturdy, not cheap but first class.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
John Neff

Post by John Neff »

That does look very nice, Malcolm!

Igor, how wide(front to back) is your Sho-Bud? My Mullen is 10.5" That case's interior is 14.5". Would be tight.
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

My Bud is 12.5" deep, so there's definitely no room for pedal bar. With your Mullen being 2" smaller, there should be just enough room to house the pedal bar. Just have to be super clever with foam placements and divider thickness. Your back will thank you!
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

On the Scott Dixon case, with guitar and pedal rack and legs weight comes in at 21.5 Kgs, that is under the normal 23kgs allowed by all the big airlines, also they custom build to your required size.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Gibson Hartwell

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

Hey, John. I wrote this up about the SKB case, I have flown a few time with it, but maybe someone who flies more can chime in on durability.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
John Neff

Post by John Neff »

Thanks, Gibson - that's some very helpful info! Is your Williams a 1&1/2 body size?
Gibson Hartwell

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

Yep!
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Be aware that the SKB case in question is very thin. I have used them but I’m still looking for something better.
Bob
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Here are my observations on a PSG case in regards to air travel:
1. Just because it is a "flight case" doesn't mean the airlines are not going to deny a claim that is obviously their fault.
2. A flight case worthy of the abuse that can be dished out by airline baggage gorillas is going to have to be very heavy, read $ to purchase and fly with.
Do you really want to carry this around to you local gigs that you access by car?
3. When airline people see a tolex covered hard case, they immediately want to check it with all other baggage. Alternatively, quite often a cloth gig bag with musical instrument within can be carried on and stored overhead if it weighs little and is small enough, or in the suit bag closet up front. I always use a gig bag when I travel with a resophonic guitar for this reason.

I have a nice Red Dirt flight case with built in wheels for my S12U. I seriously doubt they would let me carry it on. I have flown with it checked and it's been fine so far. It weighs about 25lbs and the guitar weighs 38lbs. Together they exceed the 50lb limit. I get around this by packing my legs and pedal rack in a seperate suitcase.

I'm considering a cloth bag and separate cloth leg bag. Maybe they would let me carry both on.
This would also lighten my load considerably for local gigs.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

Paddy,
Love the SKB trap case, 12.2 lbs!
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Jim, the problem is the capriciousness of airline personnel. If they deny your bringing it on board and force a gate check with a cloth case you are totally screwed.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.