The Future of Pedal Steel - ca. 1980

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Freniere

The Future of Pedal Steel - ca. 1980

Post by Frank Freniere »

From the December 1980 issue of "Guitar Player" magazine, written by Steve Fishell.

Sorry about the small print...

Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

From the horses' mouth.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Great read & lots of food for thought, given the revival of pedal steel in the alt country scene, the advent of Robert Randolph, and Paul Franklin musing about the amp he would use "if I were in a rock band". Thanks for posting.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

I thought it was cool that Fish wrote it, too ...
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

I remember seeing that when it came out.. At the time I was playing for a living ( you could back then) and what struck me most was Hank DeVito's comment about being a player at 40.
David Cubbedge

Post by David Cubbedge »

well, this just serves to tell me that the current trend to not use PSG and fiddles in C&W music won't last...
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I was especially interested in Rusty Young's comments about how his parts were always deleted for sounding "too country".. I know I have experienced it and it was infuriating to me the musician, as well as the the singer/songwriter, who had as little to say in the matter as I did.. The guy that wrote the song, sang it, had the vision as to what he wanted it to be, is not allowed his vision, because he/she is "under contract"... I know a LOT of us have been through it, and can relate.. Imagine, a player of legendary status like Rusty, having all his best stuff lopped off of records during the HEIGHT of the country rock pedal steel craze... Doesn't give me great hope for the future of the instrument... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

OTOH Sneaky told me around the same time how he intentionally tried to NOT sound country! :lol:
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

37, almost 38 years ago...and the more things change, the more they stay the same...
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Thanks for posting! Very interesting reading, also from today's POV.

Kind Regards, Walter
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I remember reading that in 1980 and being surprised by the pessimistic comments about the future of steel. I couldn't understand it because I was an eager, young player at the time and there were plenty of gigs in my area. I think part of the decline in steel guitar is due to the decline in live music in general in recent years. Young players don't understand this, and when you tell them that a player could play 7 nights a week back then and get paid every night they don't believe you! That's how much the live music scene has changed.
Steel guitar is still with us, but IMO the role of the steel guitar has changed with Americana, alt. country, sacred steel, and the resurgence of non-pedal steel. It seems like the playing we hear today is simpler, more ambient, not as present in the mixes as it was in the golden era of steel guitar.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Great that most of the roundtable is still with us, making music.