--

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Schjolberg

--

Post by John Schjolberg »

--
Last edited by John Schjolberg on 24 Sep 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

You'll find it in this thread.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/009240.html

DZ<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 21 June 2005 at 01:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Schjolberg

Post by John Schjolberg »

Yikes.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Now that's funny....

First John asks about Pete's tuning, then gets a link that shows Sneakey's copedant, and comes back with just one word..."Yikes".

I dunno, it just tickled me to see those 3 posts like that....
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Skip, if you ever worked with Pete and watched him use that guitar you might say more than "Yikes". Pete is different and also and outstanding talent. Pete and I worked together for a while when we were young. I thought at the time that I knew a lot about a guitar. Pete could scare the daylights out of you.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I just bought tickets to see Pete with Burrito Deluxe on July 8th. This will be the first time for me. I may add a few word to "Yikes"...If you know what I mean. Image

Russ
ed packard

Post by ed packard »

I had the pleasure of getting S Pete & Bobby Black together for a lunch etc. in the San Jose area ... they had not met. That was an interesting time.

The front lip of Pete's fender is loaded with holes and slots where he has/had installed pots and sliders and ? to control his sounds. Last time I saw him, they were mostly empty. He set up with a bunch of effects strung together on the floor, turned his instrument case up on edge to use as a seat (great balance) and went from there.

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Sneaky Pete's tuning (see above link) is merely a B6 tuning. If it is transposed to C6, the open string tuning looks fairly familiar. However, almost none of his changes resemble typical C6 neck changes. His pedals more resemble E9 changes. Pedals 1 and 2 are simply the Day setup. Some of the other changes are common on E9 setups. To facilitate seeing this easier, I first transposed his B6 tuning to C6, and also show a typical E9 tuning transposed to C9. Finally, I transposed his tuning to E6 for those use to looking at E copedants.

Sneaky Pete Klenow's B6
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>
LK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 RK
1 D# C# E D
2 B Bb C# Bb C#
3 G# A G
4 F# G# F A
5 D# E D
6 B C#
7 G# A G
8 F#</pre></font>

Transposed to C6
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> LK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 RK
1 E D F Eb
2 C B D B D
3 A Bb G#
4 G A F# Bb
5 E F Eb
6 C D
7 A Bb G#
8 G

</pre></font>

Carter E9 standard transposed to C9
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> LKL LKV LKR P1 P2 P3 RKL RKR
1 D Eb
2 B Bb, A
3 E F
4 C C# B D
5 G F# A A
6 E F D
7 D
8 C C# B
9 Bb A
10 G F# A
</pre></font>

Pete's B6 transposed to E6
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> LK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 RK
1 G# F# A G
2 E D# F# D# F#
3 C# D C
4 B C# Bb D
5 G# A G
6 E F#
7 C# D C
8 B
</pre></font>

Pedal 3 raises the 6th to give a 7th chord.
Pedal 4 gives a major 7th.
Pedal 5 lowers the 5th to give a flatted 5th.
Pedal 6 lowers the 3rds to give flatted thirds or the tonic as a minor.
Pedal 7 and the RK give a 9th.
Pedal 8 gives a major 7 9th (is that what that is called?).
Pedal 9 lowers the 6th a half step - not sure what that is good for.

So except for pedal 9, it is all very sensible and useful. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Doggett on 22 June 2005 at 10:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

Yikes.

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I apologize for making this thread run past the borders. Nevermind - I fixed it. I had the text titles of each table within the tabbed table, which works in Excel (the text just runs over the blank adjacent cells); however, in HTML tab the text pushes the whole row to the right, even though most of it is blank, and this causes everything in the thread to be extended past the border.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Doggett on 22 June 2005 at 09:47 AM.]</p></FONT>