A Word of Warning about Shipping Charges

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Recently I shipped a large vintage steel guitar and it barely fit into a box that another steel had been shipped in. Very little room for packing material and I wasn't confident that it would be protected sufficiently for the new owner. I went to a FedEx place and bought what they call a "large acoustic guitar" box. It cost $20, but the guitar in the original box slipped in well and there was room all around for the extra packing material needed.

The weight then came to close to 80 pounds. To ship it to its destination was $132, plus tax came to $142, insurance included. I felt confident it would make it safely; it did and the new owner complimented the packing job.

Costs and savings are relative and personal. I live 30 miles from town and don't feel like driving all over creation to find a used box, so I just bought the new box and shipped. Convenience is important to me, so I pay the extra $$$ rather than spend half a day to save a few bucks.

Shipping now costs a lot more than it used to, get over it. Pay the extra money and consider it either a cost of doing business or an expense to get the instrument to you. It's cheaper than driving it yourself to whoever is gonna receive it. Again, convenience is important. Your individual situation may vary.

I recently purchased a 60's vintage Emmons that was in Louisiana. The seller didn't want to ship it, he was adamant and it was his prerogative. I tried to find alternative methods of getting it to Texas, but... Long story short, I finally had to drive 7 hours to Lafayette to pick it up, stayed a a friend's house, and the next day 7 hours back to Austin. I wish he would have considered shipping, but the price was right on the guitar so I drove. But for the money I spent driving, and the time involved, well... :whoa: I would have gladly spent $150 to have it shipped. :lol:

Complaining here in Forumland is strictly for venting purposes, isn't it? This is 2016. Things cost more than they used to. I don't like it but I guess things happen that way.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Thomason

Post by Bob Thomason »

I have shipped stuff all over since 81 . I have found the USPS to be the best price and great service . My carrier will pick up at my house or I can drop of. I am a dulcimer maker by trade and have shipped hundreds of them with the only damage from UPS . However, I pack them like a tank special boxes etc . Pack your items better than you need to as it saves a hassle down the road . I have had few returns but my policy is if the return is due to my error I'll pay . You just don't like it etc your nickle . On a case by case basis.
Got time to breathe,got time for music
Brisco Darling
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Folks I have been going through this also. Crazy price increases for shipping. I don't understand it since oil prices are down.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Herb, some clarity. You said fed Ex place , was it a store that is an authorized agent or a Fed Ex Hub ?

It is well known that the "Authorized AGENTS" charge higher rates than the HUBS or actual FED EX or UPS facilities.

But if they are not close by then we do what we have to do.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Tony Prior wrote:Herb, some clarity. You said fed Ex place , was it a store that is an authorized agent or a Fed Ex Hub ?

It is well known that the "Authorized AGENTS" charge higher rates than the HUBS or actual FED EX or UPS facilities.

But if they are not close by then we do what we have to do.
I went to an authorized agent and not a FedEx hub.

More $$ yes, but not that much more. I live 30 miles from Austin, one of the most traffic congested and overpriced cities in the nation. The buyer wanted the guitar and I wanted to get it out of my garage, so like many situations... like eating out, e.g... I paid for the convenience of easily getting the job done.

Like I said earlier, driving into and then all over a crowded city looking for a "free" box, driving home and packing it, then going BACK into the city to find the closest FedEx hub, is at least a 120 mile round-trip. As it is, I drove 50 miles getting the guitar sent off.

Living in the country is great, until you need to go into town for something. That's what sucks.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

Man do I agree with Herb. I live so far out in the country they pump sunshine in. The only way I can find a box big enough to ship a steel in would be go to the funeral home and get one that a vault came in!!