DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Sr.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Evelyn Simmons

Scotty

Post by Evelyn Simmons »

As previous posted....I can't imagine the world without Scotty. Or, a steel guitar without thinking of him. He was the reason for many smiles...I'll always remember the convention with Hank William's guitarist and the little guy that sang like Hank....Awesome moments Scotty gave us. Seeing the best steel players in the world only because Scotty made it possible. Thanks to the Scott Family for keeping things going the last few years and hopefully years ahead. Our hearts goes out to you.....what a big hole in your lives. Sincerely Evelyn and Don Simmons
Bill Bearley

Post by Bill Bearley »

Prayers for Mary and the family. Thank you "Scotty" for being a friend to the world!! R.I.P.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Scotty contributed much to steel guitar. It's up to all of us to keep his legacy going.

Scott family, you are all in our prayers.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Another legend leaves the stage...

Condolences to the Scott family.
Delbert Phelps

Post by Delbert Phelps »

RIP Scotty .What a shock,to hear this . Condolences and prayers for the family .
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

I don't have the words to say how much I will miss him and how much I loved him. My prayers go out to the family. Chubby Howard
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

My Heart goes out to the Scott Family, I spoke to Scotty a few months ago ...Scotty will always be in my heart..God Bless You Scotty you were and still the best I will always keep you in my Heart FOREVER
Image two of my best friends who will always remembered as Long as I Live And Thank you for being so very nice to My Marilyn during her final days, my family and myself will always remember that and keep you close to our Hearts.......God Bless your sweet soul
Last edited by Jody Carver on 25 Sep 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip Cole

Prayers and Condolences to the Scott Family

Post by Skip Cole »

I remember a time, back in the 80's, when Mr Scotty helped with generating a'ton' of interest, in the birth of the Mid-South steel guitar organization. We will always remember him for sacrifices he made to help others, in order to preserve the interest in the steel guitar and the pickers, beginners or pros, or those who were to become pros.
Our condolences and prayers go out to the Scott family in their loss.

Skip
Fred Layman

Scotty's Passing

Post by Fred Layman »

As many will undoubtedly state, Scotty, a very gracious and caring man, did far more for the promotion of the steel guitar and its music than any other single person in the last half of the 20th and the first years of the present century than any other single person. I was highly honored (and overwhelmed)to have been invited by him to serve a term among the "Greats" on the International Steel Guitar Board. In many ways he was a very humble and unpretentious person, but in many other ways a great visionary for the music of the steel guitar. What a great vacuum has come about with his going and that of Buddy Emmons in such a short span of time.
Laurie Ayres

We all lost a Great man!!!

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Mary and the rest of the family. We all lost a great man whom Roy and I loved. He had done so much for the Convention and so many other people. I pray God will comfort you all in the days ahead.

Mary having widowed twice, time is God's best healer. He will be in your hearts forever and mine too.

He has a lot of people meet him from Steel Players.

God Bless you all.

Laurie
Bud Hall

Scotty

Post by Bud Hall »

Prayers go out the family,and my Masonic Brother. Thanks Scotty, God Bless!

Bud and Mary Hall
Buck Grantham

Scotty

Post by Buck Grantham »

Our condolences go to Mary and all the Scott family who created thousands of friends for the whole steel guitar world and we will always appreciate Scotty for what he has done to bring us all together. May he rest in peace in Heaven. Love, Buck and Mitzi Grantham.
Music to light up your life
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

Our thoughts & Prayers go out to the Scott family as we lose another great one.
Emmons 82 SKH, Emmons 93 Legrande II, Emmons 72 Fat Back, Mullen G2 Purple Heart, 82 Zum
Paul Wade

scotty

Post by Paul Wade »

prayers and thoughts go out the scott family. he will
be miss

Paul and Gail wade
mundelein,ill
Bobby D. Reed

Dewitt Scoot

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

The master of steel guitar promotion is gone... He treated me so well each and every year in St Louis and I will truly miss him as will all of steel guitar lovers around the world. Losing Scotty is truly a sad day. R.I.P.
Rick Troyer

Post by Rick Troyer »

Truly the World Ambassador of the Pedal Steel Guitar. We will all miss him a great deal.
I learned so much from Scotty and the family. He was a great steel player,business man, ambassador and friend. I will miss him allot. It was an honor to have helped at the convention the few times I did.
Prayers for the family indeed.
Rick Troyer
Dennis Manuel

Post by Dennis Manuel »

Another great person has left us. We will all miss you Scotty. RIP.
Sam Conomo

scotty

Post by Sam Conomo »

so sad to hear about the passing of scotty.I will never forget scotty and his family,s kindness towards me.
My thoughts are with the family.
sam conomo.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I have been out of town for a few days and have been off the internet. I spoke with my buddy, David Phillips, just now, and he told me that Scotty passed on. I am sad and I am also sad for the Scott family and all of us who he has touched so deeply.
He saw something special in the world of steel guitar and I will forever be grateful for all he did to "coral" all things steel and bring them to me and people like me.
With this sadness also comes memories of lots of laughter and good cheer.
If I were to guess at an all-time favorite steel memory of Scotty's, traveling with his heroes, Buddy and Jerry, to Japan, is towards the top.
My love to you, Mary, in this time.

Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I made the trip to St Louis on Friday and came back last night, to pay my respects to a GREAT man and a wonderful family.

Had it not been for Scotty having trust in me to be in charge of the sound booth for so many years, I may have never had the opportunity to meet the great steel guitar players from around the world.

And because Scotty trusted in me, we have video of 10 great years at the convention that I have been sharing in bits and pieces on YouTube to keep our instrument alive. Thank You Scotty and I will continue to earn your trust.

Rest in peace and we will see you some day up there in heaven.

Heck, we might even get to pick "Cold Cold Heart" together again.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Scotty playing "Cold, Cold Heart" at Jeffran. mid 80's.
http://picosong.com/SYvm/
(Fran Newman: Excuse me for posting this from Jeffran. Under the circumstances, I think it is only appropriate. Thank you).
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Henning Kock

Post by Henning Kock »

My deepest condolences to Mary and all Scotty's family.
Rest in peace my friend.
Henning Kock
Denmark, Europe
Last edited by Henning Kock on 28 Sep 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedal steel guitar:
www.steelguitardanmark.dk
-
Playing on YouTube: Search on my name and pedal steel guitar
-
piano & keyboard:
www.henning-kock.dk
-
ZumSteel Stage One 3F 4K. Year 2018
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

A giant in the world of Steel Guitar, did more to promote and advance the knowledge and appreciation of the instrument than any other person I can think of, brought so many other giants and seekers together so many times all around the world, a dear friend to many and a sweet, thoughtful, gentle man. So glad I knew him. Much love to the family.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Without him I wouldn't have learned to play this instrument. Thank you Mr. Scott and rest in peace.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

RIP Scotty!