DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Sr.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

[copied from my Facebook page]

Today we lost a true legend. DeWitt "Scotty" Scott of Scotty's Music and the International Steel Guitar Convention passed away this morning. Scotty was the world's ambassador to the instrument. He was the original instructor, the original steel guitar dealer, and hosted a jam that eventually became the International event that has turned on generations to this amazing instrument. It really struck me today just how much my life has been shaped because of Scotty's influence. I probably would have never taken up the instrument had he and his convention not been here in St. Louis. I may have never met my wife, Auset Sarno had I not been playing pedal steel guitar in a local band "Saddle Blister" at the Way Out Club 13 years ago next month. I may have never entered the field of professional electronics design and manufacturing if it weren't for the Steel Guitar Black Box that I designed for players I heard at his convention years ago. The list goes on. Scotty was a real good guy, and was absolutely passionate about the pedal steel guitar and its many forms and facets. He created an international community of musicians. Scotty will be missed but never forgotten. RIP Scotty. Thank you!
Stoney Stonecipher

Scottys Passing

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

I've been associated with Scotty and Mary and the rest of the family since 1976. We've been thru so many Conventions and my show here in Knoxville, that I feel like the Scott family adopted me as one of their own. The Steel Guitar Convention will never be the same without him, and his death will forever be a great loss to me and my family. Prayers and condolences to Mary and all the Scott family go out from me and my family. May Scotty forever rest in peace.
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

The great ones seem to be checking out all at once. First Buddy, and now Scottie. I am so sorry to hear of this great loss to Ms Mary and the Scott family.
Mike, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Benton
Al Brisco

Post by Al Brisco »

Hi Friends,

Our condolences go out to Mary & The Scott Family. It would be hard to measure the effect that Scotty brought to the steel guitar world.

I feel honoured to have known him as a friend & played on stage with him.

He was always in my corner. He will definitely be missed....a Great Loss!!!
Al Brisco
Al Brisco
http://www.steelguitarcanada.com
Serving Steelers with Experience, Expertise, & Selection Since 1979
Neil Flanz

Post by Neil Flanz »

So sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences go out to the entire Scott family.

Neil
Don Lanier

Rip Scotty

Post by Don Lanier »

Its with a heavy heart I read this news today, after hearing of his fall at home and them missing the Convention, I had a bad feeling about his health. Losing my Own mom just a few weeks back and now Scotty....He turned me on to this thing called STEELIN, and thru him and his family I met many of you and made some LIFELONG FRIENDS, when I look back at the few years 12 Ive been associated with the ISGC, I am reminded of the LIFETIME many of you have shared together, and this Family now Grieves for a Champion and Mentor to so many. Thank you Scotty for believing in our company, and Peavey, and letting us share, live, laugh and enjoy this magical instrument, and the wonderful people.
God Speed Boss, you were a very good man !!! Ill miss you.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

My deepest condolences to Scotty's family and friends, I'm glad I got a chance to spend some time with Scotty and talk with him.
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

My sincere condolences to the Scott family. I hope there is comfort in knowing that he was an icon to everyone in the Steel Guitar world and that his legacy will surely live on.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Scotty was irreplaceable and a great ambassador for our instrument and its players. Sincere condolences to the Scott family.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

R.I.P Scotty, Thanks for everything.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

So very sorry to hear of Scotty's passing. Sad days in our small world seem to be happening way too often lately...
I saw him play at the Phoenix show a few years back. He was playing a frying pan, and it was one of the most authentic steel sounds that I've ever heard.

RIP, Scotty. My sincere condolences to the family.
Chuck Miller

Post by Chuck Miller »

Prayers and condolences to the Scott family.
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

As many have said, where would we be today without Scotty? And what a rough summer it has been. Scotty was just the greatest guy. I will never forget back in 1996 when Scotty invited Buddy Cage to play and Buddy brought a band from Indianapolis to back him up. The band was made up of some hippy musicians, the lead singer wearing a skirt....the lead singer was a guy. Remember taking it all in with Michael Perlowin standing to the left side of the stage. It was the last show Saturday night and a lot of the old timers left when the band took the stage and started playing. Scotty wasn't phased in the least and just loved it. Scotty then set about dancing with one of the band members girlfriends. I have some pics of Scotty dancing up a storm somewhere that i will have to track down. I am so grateful for the time I was able to spend with Scotty late Saturday night at last year's ISGC at "Doc's". Scotty filled me with stories of the New Riders coming into St. Louis and playing at his music store, which they would do whenever they were in the area. Buddy Cage loved Scotty and the sentiment was clearly mutual. Here's a pic taken the last time I got to hang with this truly wonderful human being. We will miss you Scotty.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

I'm very saddened to hear that we've lost our Scotty.
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Rest in peace Scotty! We will miss you old friend..

I always appreciated Scotty calling me when I would release a new instructional video. Emailed me last year about possibly playing his show sometime, sorry it never happened.. He was always very encouraging ever since I met him in the mid 80s when we had him and BigE come to Lubbock to do a clinic and concert.. This has been a hard year for the steel community... Very sad news!
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Robby Turner

Post by Robby Turner »

Heard the news of Scotty's passing earlier today. His contributions to the distribution, product support & promotion of the Steel Guitar are endless. I personally have known Scotty since I was 8 years old (1970) from my trips to St. Louis. My Aunts Linda & Opal would take myself & mom to the places where they had live music to where I could sit in. I was playing drums & had just started playing bass. By the time I was age 10, I had made up my mind that I was going to be pedal steel guitarist & at 11, I had saved enough money to purchase a pedal steel. There was only one person I considered buying from and that was Scotty at Scotty's Music. This picture is my first steel lesson given to me by Scotty. I'm playing the guitar he sold me, a Sho-Bud. The Model was called, "The Professional". He will truly be missed by the steel community. My heartfelt Condolences go out to Mary and the rest of The Scott Family. R.I.P. DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Sr.
4/10/1932 - 9/23/2015
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Our deepest and sincerest condolences to Scotty's family and friends. Bo & Stuart
Wendell Pilgrim

Post by Wendell Pilgrim »

What a great loss to his family and his steel guitar family. i had the wonderful pleasure in knowing Scotty and will miss him greatly. My prayers and thoughts are with his wife and family.
71 Emmons D10 PP, Emmons D10 Legrande III, Nashville 112, LTD 400, Quilter TT 112 with 202 Tone Block,Multi-Taper FP-100c, Goodrich vol, Steel Seat.com, Boss RV-3,Lexicon 200 MX,Beard Dobro
Bob Callaway

Post by Bob Callaway »

What A loss. The Steel Guitar World Will Miss Scotty. Our condolences to the family.
Bob&Barbara Callaway Margit Stepp
Derby Steel Guitars
Derby D10 Serial No.8 - Derby 10 String Lap Steel
pair Nashville 112s
President of Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

My Condolences to the Scott family. :cry: :cry:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

RIP Scotty.....You will be forever missed and remembered....

Robbie Bossert
Emmons LeGrande III Pedal Steel. '54 Gibson lap steel, Peavey Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Telecaster,Banjo, Peavey Power slide Lap Steels ,Effects, and other assorted crap.....
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Sad news for the steel guitar world
. Now Scotty will meet his friend Jerry Byrd.....
Bill Erchul

Post by Bill Erchul »

What sad news today…heartfelt condolences to Mary and the entire Scott family. Scotty was a true giant who worked tirelessly to promote the steel guitar. I had the pleasure of talking to him several times, most recently at a SWSGA show in Phoenix. Among many other things, I was impressed by his return to the lap steel guitar as he realized that pushing pedals wasn’t that easy to do in later in life. I think that’s a lesson for us all. RIP, Scotty, you were a class act.
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

RIP my friend! May the family be comforted by heavens kindness. God bless them.