Earl Scruggs. . . . .R.I.P.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Nick Reed

Earl Scruggs. . . . .R.I.P.

Post by Nick Reed »

Father of the 5 string Banjo EARL SCRUGGS has passed away. He was 88 years of age.

Jan 6, 1924 - Mar 28, 2012

. . .
Last edited by Nick Reed on 28 Mar 2012 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Here's a early video of ole Earl pickin a little bit of the Fireball Mail. . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWnZFrdQFE
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's such a shame. One of the true innovators on his instrument. I'm glad I got to see him perform several times during my life.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012 ... at-age-88/
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

A true icon of American music. When Earl burst on the scene, his style was already fully developed, his flawless driving three finger roll, his back up techniques, all the things that are standard fare for players today. I was fotunate to see him play many times and get to talk with him. A completely unassuming person. He got to do what most of would desire, that is play right up to the end. Rest in peace. Thanks for the great music.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Adair Torres

Post by Adair Torres »

R.I.P. MASTER
Adair Torres - Boss at TowerS Steel Guitars

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

RIP Earl, thanks for the memories.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Thank you, Earl Scruggs, for inspiring each and every 5-string banjo player out there, including little ol' me. There is no way I can possibly express my gratitude for the countless hours of pickin' and grinnin' that you, your banjo, your guitar, and your artistry have brought to my musical life. Rest in peace, and pick a few in G# for all of us.

LC
Last edited by Larry Chung on 28 Mar 2012 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I was driving by the Palimino one night in the mid 70's when Earls name was on the Marquee. I stopped in to see him and the band. They were very good of course.

It was a double treat because Bob Dylan was sitting across the bar from me, although he didn't play. At break time he went in the back room with them, and I left.
heavily medicated for your safety
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

There is no way to overestimate his impact, he will always stand out as one of the true great originators in American music. I still remember the first time, as a kid, I heard Earl playing - late 50s, WGBH in Boston, on a Sunday afternoon 'folk music' show - it just floored me. Often imitated, never duplicated. RIP, Earl.
David Graves

Post by David Graves »

I have always had the greatest respect and admired Earl. I, like many banjo players, learned from the great book "5 String Banjo = by Earl Scruggs" and I have many trophies and plaques from banjo contest to prove that the book works. I got to meet Earl many times at bluegrass festivals and just a couple of years ago at Merlefest in Wilksboro NC. He was always such a gentleman and never met a stranger. He didn't treat you like a "fan" but treated you like a "friend" no matter if he knew you or not. A true example of how this music business should be done. Thank you Earl...
St. Blues 1984 "Holy Grail"
Take the time to introduce someone young to music... and play a few songs with someone old.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

I posted this on the Banjo Hangout forum:-

We have lost another of the Great Masters and in doing so we are reminded that this is the fate of all men.

I'm primarily a pedal-steel player, and I have yet to come to terms with losing the greats who pioneered that instrument and gave it its modern sound, feel and emotion. So it is with an equal amount of sadness, respect and a profound sense of loss that I learned of the passing of one of the banjo's greatest exponents.

Before Earl Scruggs the banjo was just another instrument in hillbilly bands. After Earl it was the instrument which made Bluegrass special if not downright unique. In Earl's hands the banjo growled, crackled, clattered, clanged, twanged, popped and rang with a cascade of perfectly-picked and placed notes. Monroe may have defined the genre, but Earl Scruggs gave Bluegrass the sound that made it stand out like a lighthouse in the vast ocean of country music. What would 5-string banjo have been if there was no Earl Scruggs?

Thank you, Earl, for being such a talent, such an example of what humility and skill and dedication can achieve. Thank you for giving us a style that was so unique and distinctive it was named after you. Thank you for being amongst us, inspiring us and entertaining us. By your works will we remember you and we have been blessed by your presence. RIP.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

What a great man and he left a great legacy. I would guess that The Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt Bluegrass Band is still considered the best Bluegrass band ever.
I was heavily involved in Bluegrass mucic back in the 70's and often got to see Lester and Earl perform before their breakup. They always "Stold the show" or so to speak.
One thing that remains true to this day about Earl's legacy; In the past 60 yeras or so, virtually every single person who has taken up the five string banjo has tried to play the Scruggs three finger style of picking.The notable exception being Bella Fleck.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

New York Times obituary for Earl Scruggs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/arts/ ... 88.html?hp

At an 80th birthday party for Mr. Scruggs in 2004, the country singer Porter Wagoner said, “Earl was to the five-string banjo what Babe Ruth was to baseball.”

“He is the best there ever was,” Mr. Wagoner said, “and the best there ever will be.”
Zachary Walters

Post by Zachary Walters »

Flatt and Scruggs' songs were arguably the first traditional American music I ever listened to, after I found out they performed the Beverly Hillbillies theme when I was a kid. I went right out to the record store and bought 'Foggy Mountain Jamboree.' Earl Scruggs was a titan. His banjo is unforgettable, and so I'll always remember Earl as the very tip of the impression made on me by the wonderful bluegrass music heritage of our U.S. of A.
Zach W.
1981 Push-Pull
2009 Super Glide Custom
Tony Farr

Post by Tony Farr »

Back in the mid 90's 95 or 96 for one season me and my wife cut Earl's grass, when he lived here in Madison on Diane St.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

He was a great influence on a whole generation, and one of my heroes.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Thank you Earl for showing Josh Graves how to apply three finger style to the Dobro :eek: .

hp
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Morgan Scoggins
One thing that remains true to this day about Earl's legacy; In the past 60 yeras or so, virtually every single person who has taken up the five string banjo has tried to play the Scruggs three finger style of picking.The notable exception being Bella Fleck.
Actually Bela Fleck's first influence was indeed Earl Scruggs. He has said the it was The Beverly Hillbillies show that got him interested in the first place. Bela has taken banjo to a new dimension but every time I've seen him he always plays some "Earl" in there somewhere.
I don't know of any one else who has impacted one instrument more than Earl Scruggs has on the banjo. An amazing legacy.
RIP Earl
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

A public service for Earl Scruggs is scheduled for Sunday, April 1st at 2PM at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN.
Last edited by robert kramer on 29 Mar 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

1/17/12 New Yorker magazine article on Earl Scruggs by Steve Martin:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... eve-martin
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

Very sad day, another one of the greats is gone. My prayers to his family.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

He had a good long life and lived to watch several generations embrace and expand his legacy. A musical giant and a kind soul. Goodbye, Earl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKv-m0q1S9U
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Great inspiration to so many, just a great Musician and probably the best banjo player to every pick a banjo!

He will be missed by everyone and I would like to offer prayers for his family and friends.

I loved his music and I own his greatest hits released on his 8oth birthday. Awesome, awesome banjoist.

GOD bless his love ones!

Terry Wood
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

What a lose for the music world and the world itself!
So sad! I'll always remember the Beverly Hill Billy's with flaatt and Scruggs.
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10