Home recording

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Willis

Home recording

Post by Jack Willis »

Novice here on recording. My goal is to record myself at home for my entertainment and to help improve my playing. The problem is I don't have a clue about the best product to buy. I don't want overkill and a high price for something I don't need. If you have any thoughts on this I would appreciate it mucho. Thanks Jack
Mullen SD10 pre RP, Milkman 40w mini steel, Wet reverb mono, Profex II, Yamaha keyboard, lots of books about music theory and PSG.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Try Audicity. It's a free download: http://audacity.sourceforge.net
I've been using it to record for years.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Try something like a Yamaha, Zoom, Roland or some other kind of recording console. Most are easy to use and inexpensive. You can pick a good used one up at times on the forum or maybe EBay and then all you will need is a mike and headphones or speakers and you're ready to record. Most boards have fairly good effects also.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jack Willis

Recording

Post by Jack Willis »

thanks fellows for the info. Now the hunt is on....
Mullen SD10 pre RP, Milkman 40w mini steel, Wet reverb mono, Profex II, Yamaha keyboard, lots of books about music theory and PSG.
Greg Youngman

Post by Greg Youngman »

If your PC based, people are dropping PTools and moving to Reaper. Many of my clients are bringing in their projects on it. It's a wonderful program. It's free as long as you're evaluating it!

http://www.reaper.fm/
David Winfrey

Home recording

Post by David Winfrey »

Greg Youngman wrote:If your PC based, people are dropping PTools and moving to Reaper. Many of my clients are bringing in their projects on it. It's a wonderful program. It's free as long as you're evaluating it!
Greg, I don't know anything about your clientel, but I don't think there is any mass exodus from ProTools to Reaper. I'm sure Reaper is fine for home recordings, but let's not paint an unrealistic picture here. ProTools is firmly entrenched as the industry standard of audio recording software and that is not going to change anytime soon. I'm sure the demographics are available that will verify those facts.

Regards,
David
Equipment list in a constant state of flux
Greg Youngman

Re: Home recording

Post by Greg Youngman »

David Winfrey wrote:
Greg Youngman wrote:If your PC based, people are dropping PTools and moving to Reaper. Many of my clients are bringing in their projects on it. It's a wonderful program. It's free as long as you're evaluating it!
Greg, I don't know anything about your clientel, but I don't think there is any mass exodus from ProTools to Reaper. I'm sure Reaper is fine for home recordings, but let's not paint an unrealistic picture here. ProTools is firmly entrenched as the industry standard of audio recording software and that is not going to change anytime soon. I'm sure the demographics are available that will verify those facts.

Regards,
David
Have you down loaded it and tried it?
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Reaper has now moved far from home recording to the pro ranks in terms of capability. It has many features that Pro Tolls does not and vice versa. It's economical, not a resource hog and treats midi and analog streams pretty much the same. My last Reaper project used 14 compressor on 20 tracks and tons of automated volume envelopes, EQ and 8 channels for drums all running on a standard run of the mill PC. A far as getting tracks down and mastering Reaper does a pro job. Pro Tools excels when you get into pitch correction for vocals and the like. Read the most recent audio forum posts for Pro Tools and Reaper. Reaper is a serious tool. Good enough for the home and the studio!

Jack, I have used most of the available methods for recording as have many others on this forum. You could benefit a lot by visiting with someone who's been through all of this. I just bought a Zoom H4N 2 channel recorder for our church that may be what you need today:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portab ... 920&sr=8-1

Without knowing your needs in great detail, you could find the Zoom an excellent choice, or you could outgrow it quickly or you could spend even less and get something to meet your needs. Audacity is also a decent choice but pales compared to Reaper.

If you want to avoid using a PC or laptop I would recommend getting a Zoom R16 (room to grow!) or H4N (basic 4 channels). If you like the PC or laptop route then I wold recommend Reaper. With either solution you can mic your amp or record directly (need a USB premap for the PC/laptop).

Greg
Greg Youngman

Post by Greg Youngman »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Reaper has now moved far from home recording to the pro ranks in terms of capability. It has many features that Pro Tolls does not and vice versa. It's economical, not a resource hog and treats midi and analog streams pretty much the same. My last Reaper project used 14 compressor on 20 tracks and tons of automated volume envelopes, EQ and 8 channels for drums all running on a standard run of the mill PC. A far as getting tracks down and mastering Reaper does a pro job. Pro Tools excels when you get into pitch correction for vocals and the like. Read the most recent audio forum posts for Pro Tools and Reaper. Reaper is a serious tool. Good enough for the home and the studio!

Jack, I have used most of the available methods for recording as have many others on this forum. You could benefit a lot by visiting with someone who's been through all of this. I just bought a Zoom H4N 2 channel recorder for our church that may be what you need today:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portab ... 920&sr=8-1

Without knowing your needs in great detail, you could find the Zoom an excellent choice, or you could outgrow it quickly or you could spend even less and get something to meet your needs. Audacity is also a decent choice but pales compared to Reaper.

If you want to avoid using a PC or laptop I would recommend getting a Zoom R16 (room to grow!) or H4N (basic 4 channels). If you like the PC or laptop route then I wold recommend Reaper. With either solution you can mic your amp or record directly (need a USB premap for the PC/laptop).

Greg
Well put, Greg. Jack, you're not too far away. If you find yourself down this direction, give me a heads up and we'll chat.

Greg
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

What is the difference between Reaper Evaluation & Reaper purchase copy. What would I gain with the Purchase one???
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The Reaper Evaluation & Reaper purchase copies are identical. NOTHING is disabled in the Evaluation copy! You can try it out and save files with the Evaluation copy just like the purchase copy.

Greg
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

Thanks Greg.. will download a copy..
Jack Willis

Reaper

Post by Jack Willis »

Just returned home from Christmas travel. I haven't had a chance to sit down and digest the new posts here. I also want to take a look at "Reaper". Thanks for the replies fellows. Happy New Year...lets hope.
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

I just got Reaper after reading this post and its way better than BIAB Real Band, Power Tracks, or Audacity. I have just scratched the surface and I'm hooked. I'm just using it for home recordings. Just my 2 cents. :D
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Jack Willis

What's between?

Post by Jack Willis »

Billy (or anyone) are you recording direct from the guitar? If so, what is between your guitar and the computer to interface the two? Thanks
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I record guitars direct, I use a tube preamp and a small compressor in line...the compressor is used to give a slight limit to the tall peaks, not a major setting...

Guitar>Preamp>Compressor>PCI MAudio card>Pro-Tools

Within Pro Tools I will add a reverb and another compressor to each track either individually or thru a dedicated aux buss ( for each effect ) which is preferred. By using the aux buss you can use a single reverb ( actually any effect )and send all tracks to that aux buss. Each track also has there own fader for reverb send...a neat trick ! Compared to Sonar, PT makes setting up and routing signals a no brainer. Each track that is assigned to the buss has a floating send fader automatically created for that buss.

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

Jack, Guitar,Presonus Firebox, PC, Reaper. Greg Thanks for turning me on to Reaper, I like it :D Heres My Favorite part of the house,
Last edited by Billy McCombs on 1 Jan 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Greg Cutshaw wrote: It has many features that Pro Tools does not and vice versa.

I would be interested to know what Reaper has that Pro-Tools does not offer...
t

Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Tony's here's one good example of a comparison between the two DAW's showing pluses and minuses.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64721

A big plus is Reaper's price and ease of customization with free 3rd party tools and setups. I agree that huge numbers of people are not going to dump PT for Reaper, although some have at least for some jobs. The thing is that not too long ago Reaper was not half the program it is now. It has come a long ways in a short period of time and is rapidly gaining ground on PT.

Greg
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It really doesn't matter what package we use , if the musician/engineer person likes what they have and can play well while recording, they will get good results. The playing factor is still # 1 . It's not the DAW, it's always back on the player.

It's all good..

PT has that elastic feature and the on the fly time thing, these are really nice , I know Sonar does not have those, it appears by the link above that Reaper also does not. Also the PT Smart Tool for editing is a big plus. These are things that I think regular users would use find very valuable.

I saw today that some PT packages start at about $99 with an interface and effects/instrument plug ins...looks like PT has decided to play in the entry market as well.

t

Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

just to add...
I found this site to be informative

http://www.tweakheadz.com

scroll around the site. I liked the tutorials.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Tweakheads is a very kool site...There are also excellent tutorials up on U Tube, some fall short but some are really very good with full visuals and very good discussion, quick and to the point....Check them out...

Teddy Ray Bullard II

Post by Teddy Ray Bullard II »

Honestly, the easiest way out there now is to get a steinberg c12 and the bundled software and have at it.

the c12 acts as mic preamps, interface, control surface, monitor controller,
sounds great taboot..