P/P with MaxTone

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

tomsteel

pp

Post by tomsteel »

A push pull doesn,t need any tone mod.Thomas Malugin
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Hey Tomsteel...
I was just thinking the same thing! Just what modifications someone could possibly make to an Emmons push/pull to improve the tone?????

Hmmmmm.

;-)

Dave
Doc Rickles

What can improve any steel ?

Post by Doc Rickles »

Different pickups, different strings, different keys,
different amps,different bars, different hands, different love of sound, different ears, different age, are all guages as to how one hears or likes a certain sound. After all, only the human ear that is hearing the instrument can evaluate how it sounds to them. Then that is only their opinion. If you haven't heard a modded instrument by Tommy and I mean under playing circumstances where it is really tested and analyzed then you can't even qualify to give an opinion.Tommy has probably modded as many steels this year as some builders have built. He loves modding they love building, there is a place for both. If someone had not tried we would all be playing the same old worn out model of the first steel made. And I would still sound just as bad.Can you mod a player Tommy.
Just a thought.
Doc
I think I own the best engineered, best laid out, easiest playing steel ever built, its Ten years old
and rivals the new ones being built by the same builder today, my opinion only. Opinions are like belly buttons,every body has one.

Last edited by Doc Rickles on 4 Jul 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."
tomsteel

mod

Post by tomsteel »

I have seen on past post/etc that this is a hot issue.I just believe that push pulls don,t need any mod to make them better.Of course a few overtightend screws etc wouldn,t be called a mod.I guess you could actually change something on a pp and It could be called a mod then,,but,,,all that extra work parts,,etc,,would probaly be imho,,redundant.Thomas Malugin
Doc Rickles

Mod

Post by Doc Rickles »

If that's what you believe Thomas then you are 100% right .We certainly can't call you a doubting Thomas. What you believe will control your actions, your thoughts, your body, your feelings and your life
and it is great that you express and stick to what you believe.
Blessings,
Doc
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

I don't believe [i]"Different pickups, different strings, different keys,
different amps,different bars, different hands, different love of sound, different ears, different age, are all guages as to how one hears or likes a certain sound. After all, only the human ear that is hearing the instrument can evaluate how it sounds to them"
[/i] constitutes a "mod".

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the word "mod" short for "modification?"

So, my question still stands despite criticism, "Just what modifications someone could possibly make to an Emmons push/pull to improve the tone?????

No disrespect intended...I just want an answer that is something other than critiscism or defence. Like a straight answer.

And I think the same requirements should hold to the person "answering" the question, as Mr. Rickles requires of someone who "asks" the question.

respectfully,
Dave
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

GENTLEMEN this is a for sale section and not a place to discuss the """MODIFICATIONS that i do to improve tone.. THERE IS A PEDAL STEEL SECTION FOR THIS TYPE DISCUSSION many thanks.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Ben Turner

Post by Ben Turner »

WOW! I think you've all forgot the whole purpose here, He's trying to sell a guitar. If you're so offended by a "tone mod" to an Emmons P/P make a new post and see what happens, I don't think his post should be hijacked by all this. My opinion, there is ALWAYS room for improvement on an instrument. There will never be a "perfect" guitar. What's perfect to YOU may be hideous to another.

:whoa:
Benjamin Turner
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Ben
offended? I have nothing to be offended for.
You are apparently very "defensive," however.

Tommy
"you" are the one who brought up the tone modifications in your post i.e. "THIS IS A EMMONS REISSUE SD10 P/P, that has had the Albert Johnson work done to the lower end, and I have done my MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS to the tone .
(which are you selling...the instrument or the modifications you make to them?)

Since "you" done the "modifications" and "you" are the one offering this guitar for sale, I have the right to ask "you" about it.

I see nothing wrong with asking about "any" modifications admittedly made by the person posting, epesially when they're the one who did it!

A person should have the right to know just what "modifications" have been made to an instrument before there can be any interest in buying it.

I thought this page was for selling to anyone, not just your freinds and fans.

I respect your right to sell. However, I do not respect a right to sell without being questioned about the product.

That being said, out of respect to the "owner" of the instrument, I'll refrain from any further inquiry.

Best success to you in selling this nice looking (admittedly modified) instrument. :)

Dave
Savell

Post by Savell »

If I had the extra cash, this beauty would be coming to my house. To my misfortune, trades are not an option. Tommy’s mod does not discourage or scare me away from any psg. Many forum members have vouched for his mod. Many have stated their dislike for either Tommy and/or his mod. It is a known factor that Tommy is not going to unveil the secrets that he feels is vital to his business. This is not new to the market place (i.e KFC, Coke, etc.). Why this brings out the school boy mentally of so many is puzzling to me. To continue to do so and try to find words to hide the true intent is just as immature. If you have a vendetta, it should be addressed in another section of this forum.

I do however have a question about the sale of this instrument. If this is a recently bought psg (2007) and the buyer needs the money bad enough to sell it, why spend the money on a mod just prior to the sale? Wouldn’t it be more logical to sell as original and let the new owner weigh in the mod?

Good luck Tommy with your sale.
Savell
Dennis Brown

Wow !

Post by Dennis Brown »

I say W.O.W. ( with or with out ) the Mods. This is a great , great instrument and beautiful ta boot. I'm considering selling my tools I need for work to capture this thing. :whoa: Dennis
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

As far as I am aware Buddy Emmons' push pull guitars never had this mod and as always, he sounded just great. I will wait until an original unmodded push pull comes along, buy it, and then decide if it needs to be modified!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
J PARKER

Opinions

Post by J PARKER »

I sure believe that everyone has there opinions but i have owned about 12 push pull guitars and had 3 i thought really sounded good out of the group but dang if i dont believe that that guitar sounded better than those did. Hope everyone had a great 4th and looking forward to meeting all of you one day. Jim
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

" Opinions are like belly buttons,every body has one. "

Jeannie didn't! At least not the first season!
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I learned to love the sound i ended up with, like an arranged marriage really, i ended up with
a sho-bud, it was for sale and i bought it, the rest is up to me now,[16 years later] i figured out real quick, that it wasent the steel guitar, when it sounded bad, it was the player.
To be quite hohnest i never have preffered a 'paticular' brand, they all sound good in the right hands, buddy emmons sounds the same on a Sierra as he does a Carter, only he hears the nuances.
The steel guitar is half the marriage, it comes to a gunfight with a loaded gun, so you bring the other half, now dont you bring a knife to a gunfight and blame the instrument.
Good thing about buying a quality instrument, you cant blame poor tone on it, unless it has bad pick-ups.
If you have an Emmons, just play brother, play your heart out, all is good.
Last edited by Larry Bressington on 5 Jul 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.K.A Chappy.
Billy Carr
Restricted

mod

Post by Billy Carr »

I normally don't speak or give opinions on subjects I hadn't been involved with or don't know about first hand. This topic is one I know about personally. I've played many, many guitars, all brands over the last 38 years. Tommy's mod is the real deal. It works. If a player is happy with what they have then fine. But on the other hand, if a player is wanting to improve tone/sustain, then the mod will definitely do it. As far as p/p's go, I've played some with and w/o the mod. No comparison. I'm very particular about tone/sustain on a guitar. I'm not easily impressed but the guitars with TY's mods have all impressed me to the point, I endorse his product 100%. My D-10 Rains doesn't need a mod but if TY did a mod on it, it would only enhance an already great sounding guitar.
John McGuire

Post by John McGuire »

jmo I would not want any guitar that was modded if I did not know what the mod consisted of. Is the mod reversable with no evidance of the mod being there? To me a mod and using after market parts like coop parts on a bud are two different things. What does a mod due to the long term value of a vintage instrument? I am NOT knocking this or any mod, just stating my opinion.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

I'm just speculating here as i never tried his modded guitars, there is just one thing that's puzzling me here... :? Emmons and some other builders have been building guitars for years and one would think that they would have found by now all the tricks and modifications that sounds better for their guitars, i can see used guitars needing some adjustments and some modifications but again...as i said i've never tried his mod guitars so i would'nt know if it makes a big difference.

this is just my opinion and i'm not saying his mod is good or bad, some forum members swear by his mod so it's something to look into if it improves your guitar. :)
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Chris Lang

Huh? Who would want this???

Post by Chris Lang »

Is the mod reversable with no evidance of the mod being there?

See post on next page
Last edited by Chris Lang on 8 Jul 2009 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

This looks scary. Is this really a maxtone modification?
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Excuse my ignorance, what does a maxtone do??
Is it in the bridge??? fingers???
A.K.A Chappy.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Billy Do you know if a patent has been applied for these modifications? I checked the patent pending website and did not find it listed.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I personally WOULD NOT want this modification on any of my guitars.
Last edited by Nick Reed on 30 Sep 2009 5:00 am, edited 9 times in total.
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

People do get offensive when it comes to their brand of guitar that they think is the very best, customers do adjust their own guitars to suit themselves and their own playing styles and if the return springs were fully tightened then that had a lot to do with the action of the guitar.

PS:: MY MAX-TONE TONE MODIFICATION ((((DOES ""not))))HAVE ""ABSOLUTELY NOTHING""" TO DO WITH THE ACTION, STIFFNESS, OR PLAYABILITY OF ANY GUITAR PERIOD.... THAT IS OR WAS DONE BY THE FACTORY OR AN OWNER OF IT THANKS.....
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Billy Carr
Restricted

Ty

Post by Billy Carr »

"Here We Go Again" was a hit for Ray Charles, I believe. Folks, come to one of the shows where Tommy, Jim Parker or myself are playing and we'll show you first hand what the MOD will do. Set behind Jim's D-10 blue Mullen or better yet play it on a set and crank it up all you want and hear it for yourself. Go TY!