That Mod Wow

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

THANKS MICHAEL for your testamonial about my MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS on your guitar and guess what I didn't pay him a dime,, just his own truthful thought's about his guitar's before and after results. I'm really glad you are liking [[loving]] it, if at anytime you need anything with your guitar feel free to give me a call again many thanks.

BRAD:: Thats another Happy customer,sure wish you could've been at the DSSGA show this weekend and herd all the people that gave the MODDED guitars compliments. They herd them on stage an played them at my booth and were totally amazed at the difference it makes in the overall performance of the guitar, much less the added confidence it gives the players when they know they are playing a guitar that really perform's at a much higher level of consistency, with TONE and SUSTAIN that is second to none of his ability.. even tho the player is nervous while playing in front of all his colleges and pro player's all sitting and watching them play.. It gave them that added confidence to play at a much higher level of pride and consistency in themselves and their guitar... truely amazing to watch and hear.

To those that played them on stage I want to take this time to thank them as it really made those pickers that don't use the forum really stand up and give it the attention that MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS is earning one guitar at a time,,,, to you GUY"S that played on stage a big ((( THANK YOU ))) as one of them had never sat down to that guitar before in his life he has got to be brave and confident he just asked the set-up sat down to it played his heart out and did a great job too. many THANK'S TO BOTH OF YOU
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Brad Malone

TY's Mod seen and heard by many at the Gulfport show.

Post by Brad Malone »

BRAD:: Thats another Happy customer,sure wish you could've been at the DSSGA show this weekend and herd all the people that gave the MODDED guitars compliments. They herd them on stage an played them at my booth and were totally amazed at the difference it makes in the overall performance of the guitar, much less the added confidence it gives the players when they know they are playing a guitar that really perform's at a much higher level of consistency, with TONE and SUSTAIN that is second to none of his ability.. even tho the player is nervous while playing in front of all his colleges and pro player's all sitting and watching them play.. It gave them that added confidence to play at a much higher level of pride and consistency in themselves and their guitar... truely amazing to watch and hear.<<

Tommy, Glad to hear that your mod was seen and heard at the Gulfport, Ms. Steel show on Sat. I'm sure that many of the people that had a chance to hear your Mod will reply to this thread and let the the 1000's of people that follow SGF know about your wonderful "Max tone Mod". Tommy, as your Max Tone Mod becomes more known, people will demand that it become the "Gold Standard" of the industry. Why would anyone want to buy a Steel that does not achieve the "Max" in tone and sustain? I hoping for all that people that had the chance to hear and play your great Mod to respone to this thread.
J PARKER

Mod

Post by J PARKER »

Man the MOD really sounded well according to numerous people at the saturday show. Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Jim
Ronnie Miley

Post by Ronnie Miley »

Thanks Tommy for letting me try out your maxtone guitars,You really do make a difference,great to see you again,Ronnie Miley.
Brad Malone

Ronnie Miley is #14

Post by Brad Malone »

Ronnie Miley, Thanks for your testimonial about TY's Mod..you are Number 14 and the 2nd person from Tenn. to give a positive testimonial about TY's mod. Folks, the list is growing and the Mod is getting more well known as each day passes. Tommy, it looks like you are going to put Ethelsville, Ala on the map as the "Steel Guitar Mod town".
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

Thanks Ronnie it sure makes me feel good to have you full time pickers hear and play my mod, just let me know when you have a few days off the road and we'll get-r-done my friend, hope to see you soon with that legrande..AGAIN MANY THANKS
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
Johnny Howington

Max-Tone

Post by Johnny Howington »

Tommy, just wanted to thank you for adding the mod to my guitar. I can't believe the difference. I have 5 steel guitars and all are Emmons LeGrande 11's except one and it's a ZumSteel (1984) model. One of my guitars has the mods on it right now. My dad and my bother both have over 40 years experience with pedal steel guitars. We listen and play all the guitars me and my brother have and that's about 12 or 13 guitars and we always carry my blue emmons with the max-tone on it to conventions. Why? Well that is when you want to shine and the max-tone helps us to do just that. Not that we are experts by any means on the steel but the sound we like must be pretty good because we always get a lot of questions about our set-up. Most of the time we are in the top 3 or 4 as far as sound as we hear it at these conventions. Without the mod we would be 20th - 25th. Some people could add whatever they wanted to and would never hear a difference because the set-up they have is not any good. Equipment is important. A great quality sound is not developed by the cheapest equipment on the market or without really looking at what the equipment actually does verses the price. The main point I would like to make is, if you want to improve the sound of your guitar the max-tone modification in my opinion is a cheap way to make a distint difference in the quality of sound that you get. A few of the things I have noticed is, clearity, less overtones from not blocking enough, and very improved sounds the higher up the neck that you play. It is my experience and my brother's experience that I base my opinion on. My brother has also tried every gaget there is and I have been lucky by being able to go on his past. If you have a good sound now and you want to improve that sound in areas I have mentioned you will not be disappointed in this mod. You will see and hear a difference in the quality of sound you get. If you can't play and you have all the wrong equipment and set-ups nothing will help you until you change some of the basic requirements of a good set-up and equipment. I am suggesting that you look at having this mod installed on your guitar and I'm very confident that you will be glad you did and you will see and hear a big difference in the quality of the sound you receive. If you don't then call me and let me know what type of equipment your using because that will be why you don't hear an improvement, or let me hear you play over the phone. Good luck Tommy on your product and thanks for all you do for steel players all across this country and others man. I am glad I have this mod on my guitars. Oh I have one more I need done as soon as I get the money. I will be in touch. Just got the guitar about 2 months ago. Thanks Tommy and keep up the great work!!!

Johnny Howington
Brad Malone

Johnny Howington=#15

Post by Brad Malone »

Thanks Johnny for replying to this thread...you are #15 to give a positive testimonial about TY's Steel Guitar MAX tone mod. You are the first one from N. C.
b0b

Re: That Mod Wow

Post by b0b »

J PARKER wrote:Well guys i just got back and picked up another guitar i had done with the max tone mod folks and man it sounds so good and i also seen another customers guitar that normally would have to have 1000 dollars worth of effects to make it sound good but man it sounded so good with just a Nashville 1000. I got a chance to see a beautiful guitar he refinished and man what a beauty. Thanks Tommy for a good job. Jim
What brand of guitar was it, Jim?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
J PARKER

Mod

Post by J PARKER »

A beautiful Red Lauer guitar.
b0b

Re: A Picture

Post by b0b »

J PARKER wrote:Image
It looks blue to me. That's the one I meant.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Billy Henderson

Max Tone Mod

Post by Billy Henderson »

I was one of the first to get Tommy's Mod. It was on a Mullen RP 12 string. I was very satisfied at the tone difference in the guitar. Remember the long running posts about the mod? I would think there are now enough satisfied users out there to validate that the mod does work.
Brad Malone

Billy Henderson is #16

Post by Brad Malone »

Thanks Billy for replying to this thread and giving a positive testimonial about TY's Steel Guitar Max tone mod. You are the first one from the state of AR.
Joshua Grange

Re: A Picture

Post by Joshua Grange »

b0b wrote:
J PARKER wrote:Image
It looks blue to me. That's the one I meant.
Could it be one of these guitars b0b? A very fine Rains by Gary Carpenter?
In this post Jim Parker lists it as having received the mod.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=150757
Another pic here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=144527
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

Tommy's mod was applied to a Mullen HWP of mine. I like what it does. -seems to have tightened up the focus of notes, or, put another way, I hear a bit more fundamental from each note. ..So, notes tend to ring out a bit clearer with fewer dissonant overtones. To my ears, it t sounds nicer than it did prior to the mod.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Why would you mod a rains?

Now I am starting to see the picture.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

AJ, I think we're all seeing the picture now, of what exactly. :D
Brad Malone

Al Moss is number 17

Post by Brad Malone »

Al Moss, thanks for replying to this thread, you are
#17 and the first guy from Ohio to give a positive testimonial about TY's Steel Guitar Max tone mod.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Al, that sounds like simply a pickup adjustment what you're describing.

That's what you do to get the separation you want. :D As well as Sustain when properly adjusted to "The Sweet Spot."
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

I refuse to bum-rap a manufacturer here, but last week I received a guitar in my shop that exhibited 6 cents drop using just the splits. When doing the 'F' change, it dropped 11 cents...or almost 1/8 of a fret. All the smoke-and-mirrors magic in the world isn't going to do this guitar a bit of good. Turns out the keyheads were way too skinny for a S-12 (less than 1/4" thick). Each half of the keyhead was held down with only two #8-32 screws, and they weren't tight. I put a dial indicator on the keyhead and about burned up the bearings in the indicator!!! All the electronic gizmos in the world won't make up for manufacturing oversights. The quest for mechanical/tonal accuracy is fine. But if the same mistakes that were made 40 years ago are still being made on today's guitars, ain't nuthin' gonna change much!!!
FWIW the guitar mentioned has now been shortened 3" and next week, will leave this shop with a custom-made keyless tuner on it and a large rib underneath to make up for the inherent weakness in the cabinet design. And THIS is a so-called state-of-the-art guitar.
Let's concentrate on good mechanical design and forget the "magic" solutions to make up for the lack of it.
PRR
Brad Malone

Tell the facts

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Paul Redmond, thanks for your post but you are now creating a mystery. If some builder is putting out a bad product and you can prove it, then why not let the rest of us know about it? We talk good about good so we should talk bad about bad. We are all men and not babies so we should be able to handle the truth. "Consumer Reports" talk good and bad about the cars they test...Steels should be put to the same treatment...never be afraid to tell the truth if you have the proof to back it up.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Paul: "I refuse to bum-rap a manufacturer here---".

C'mon Brad Paul's got too much class to blast people on a public forum. All of us that have been around him know that. What the heck is it with you and your crusade against the builders? I can research several posts and you want to stick it to the manufacturers. All of us pay attention to what Paul says and probably have been here long enough to know what guitar he's talking about but to spray it all over the forum in not Paul's way.

In short, I don't know of one single manufacturer that breaks arms of customers to buy their product. You don't like it, or think something is not right, then don't buy it. And your evident assumption that builders don't QC their products is just DEAD WRONG.
Further, your statements that builders are putting out products without the MIRACULOUS MOD being discussed is ludicrous in my opinion.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

First I would like to thank AL Moss & Billy Henderson for their reply's about my MAX-TONE MODIFICATION'S to their guitar's

I would also like to thank Paul Redmond for his input about the guitars that are giving mechanical problems as I've seen some of this myself.

LAST but not least I would like to thank all that has participated in this thread about my MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS and what it has done for their guitars
Last edited by Tommy Young on 4 Mar 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
Brad Malone

your crusade ?

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Fred, Is all I asked is that people do not post and create doubts about products..if they have some truth to share, share it without creating doubt or do not post...I'm sorry if that is too much to ask.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Well Brad I think it's too much to ask if Paul has already told you he's not gonna' bum rap the builder and then you pressure him to do so. As you've said before it's a free forum and free, as I understand it is, just that. He doesn't want to tell us the builder because for whatever reason it's his. Thank goodness he posted the results of what he found.

As for builders QCing their products, everyone of them I've observed, and they will tell you that's nearly all the factories, garages, etc. where they're built, work like heck to put out a good product.

As for TY's mod; I would wager if the original configuration of the guitar was changed in any way, I would think the original Factory Warranty would go in the dumper. That's just my opinion though. I guess one would have to ask the manufacturer for certainty.

Edited to add: Modify by definition means to alter or to change. That, to me, means it no longer is in its original form. What do you say?

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!