That Mod Wow

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J PARKER

That Mod Wow

Post by J PARKER »

Well guys i just got back and picked up another guitar i had done with the max tone mod folks and man it sounds so good and i also seen another customers guitar that normally would have to have 1000 dollars worth of effects to make it sound good but man it sounded so good with just a Nashville 1000. I got a chance to see a beautiful guitar he refinished and man what a beauty. Thanks Tommy for a good job. Jim
J PARKER

A Picture

Post by J PARKER »

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Details?
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Wow! Hope I never have a steel I have to spend a ton of money on before it sounds good. :D
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

THANKS JIM I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THE KIND WORDS, GLAD YOU are enjoying it.

Richard::: it cleans up the tone of the guitar from end to end, Especially above the 12th fret to the 26th fret and on some guitars above that if you play above the 26th fret, The strings will be clear as a bell not shrill and cutting as some are from the factory. the bottom end even at the 1st fret and open is as clean also not muddy at all I have had my booth at THE ST. LOUIS CONVENTION AND THE NASHVILLE SUPER JAMS,THE ALABAMA and MISSISSIPPI JAMS, there has been a lot of people play and had their guitars max-toned HOPEFULLY YOU CAN SIT AND PLAY ONE AT SOME OF THESE SHOWS, THANKS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME OR E-MAIL ME FOR FURTHER INFO. THANKS for asking

662-251-0948
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
J PARKER

Mods

Post by J PARKER »

This baby needs a bumb and i have owned new guitars and they sounded bad but havent had any that will compete to this one and ive owned some nice guitars over the years. If you have that old cheap thin sound with all the bites you sure need to see thew MAX Tone Man. Jim
Marty Holmes

Post by Marty Holmes »

I guess i don't see what brand of guitar this is.What kind of pickup/s is on this guitar,and a few details about the mod,and what was done to this guitar.just curious :?
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

MARTY this guitar has Wallace Truetone pups, my tone modification is strickly mechanical, if you need to know anything further please send me a e-mail or call,,
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
Randy Gilliam

Sound Great

Post by Randy Gilliam »

I Played a Fessy With the Mod and They Really Sound Great Tone and sustain , Randy In Texas. 8)
Bob Parins

Traveling tone and medicine show?

Post by Bob Parins »

This all sounds very vague and mysterious. Tommy, are you afraid that your secret recipe will get out?

I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just curious what this thread is even about.
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

BOB I sure do not want you or anyone else doing,,, or copying my mod and myself not receive any benefits from it, as it has taken me many hours time to find a modification that does this, each and every guitar has to be done differently to achieve maximum benefits from my work,,, BOB this is my only means of making a living,,, because of my now 7 back surgeries would you tell everybody what your living is so that each one would have """old joe""" fix it at his house and not only that he probably wouldn't do the mod correctly anyway,,,, so if you want your guitars tone to sound its best give me a call ,, thanks for your ?????hope this helps your inquisitive mind..
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
Bob Parins

Post by Bob Parins »

Hi Tommy-

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and explain your tricky situation. I can see how this type of intellectual property (your mod) would be very hard to protect. I wish you the best of luck.
Marty Holmes

Post by Marty Holmes »

Tommy,
Can you do a max tone mod to a singleneck Emmons push-pull,and if so please send me an email on a price? thanks
Billy Carr
Restricted

mod

Post by Billy Carr »

Tommy's mod is the real thing guys. Take two guitars that are just alike and mod one and not the other. It'll be as different as daylight and dark. I call it an "Enhancement" to a players tone/sustain. Hey TY!
Joel Martin

Post by Joel Martin »

if there was some way to see/hear a before and after, that would be really cool - maybe a youtube video or just a wav file?

best
joel
1968 ZB D11
1965 Vibrolux Reverb
J PARKER

Mod

Post by J PARKER »

Joel i dont no if Tommy can do a you tube or not but i can tell you from past experience that it really makes the guitar much better in tone and clear sound and its really an Enhancement as Billy said.
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

Joel there was a thread on here a long while back and I was accused of fixing the sound, the amps, everything on those 2 songs that were posted"""I WASN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS RECORDED EITHER TIME"" it was done by a customer so that he wanted to know the difference himself ,, NOW there were people that didn't believe what they herd..and some don't now because they can't or won't believe that what I have done really does what they have heard. But now that I have been to these large shows with my MOD a lot of guy's have herd and played guitars with my MOD and seen my work themselves up front and personal,,, now these guy;s are having their guitar's max-toned and repairs to them,,other's are saving their money to have it done,but this economy isn't helping my work either,,,,but i have done several this month as CHRISTMAS GIFTS for some,,some of the Guitars were total rebuilds as in new paint new bushings,pups and etc. and each of those had MY Max-Tone Mod on them. I'll try to post a pic. of one i just finished
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

I sincerely admire anyone with the gumption and hard work to come up with something new. Henry Ford did it and so did Leo Fender. Good luck there friend! :- )
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

if you see the red dots on it they are flakes ""the red eye eliminater""" cliped most of them out so this isn't a real tru pic as to its beauty just finished it last saturday

you can see a few of them reflected on the back neck and some next to the tuners and by the switch also sure do wish i was a whiz with a camera before it left here haha
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

I like the "mystery shoe" below. How did you do THAT??? :- )
Jack Harper

welcome to another really big shoe..............

Post by Jack Harper »

my friend johnny walker had that same question about the mystery shoe.
he was totally mesmerized, to the point that, he wrote tommy a letter demanding poste haste an explanation, thinking perhaps that the shoe was a factor in the secret process of the max-tone.
being one not to leave anyone in suspense as to his methods or intensions, tommy promptly replied by return mail.
and this is what the letter said.
the letter that johnny walker read!
dear john;
"that's the shoe that keeps walkin back to me".......

with that said....
let me inject that any negative thoughts that you might have concerning the max-tone are totally unfounded.
it's just a decision.
some will, some won't, some do, some don't....
i don't steel, but i hang with those that do.
not only have i witnessed the improvement in the sustain and playability of the guitar with the
max-tone i have witnessed the improvement of the player due to his approach and precise chord structure and bar placement, because i think he can hear every string at every fret and beyond so that the job is easier and the result is amazing, thus the mistake in fumbling for a sound is eliminated.
i have heard it on the same stage, the same player, playing 2 different guitars of the same manufacture, one with and one without and he definitely sounds more capable on the guitar with the maximum sustain.
you can do without, but, don't doubt!
america, what a country.....
country jack
J PARKER

Mod

Post by J PARKER »

Tell me that Red guitar isnt pretty. I heard it played and it has killer tone.
Dale Stacy

Beautiful Guitar

Post by Dale Stacy »

I would like to thank Tommy Young personally for a great great job on the guitar in the photo. This was an older guitar I bought which the finish was not so good. After deciding to have Tommy refinish, I also decided while it was apart to go ahead and rebuild the guitar. What A wonderful job he did , not to mention the great tone and sustain. The photo does not do justice to the unique finish. The small metal like flakes in the finish are unbelievable. I've never seen a guitar finish quite like this one. This is definitely a keeper. Eat your heart out Jim Parker.
Dale
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I dont have any problems at all with the factory single coils on my emmons with tone can play it right up against my right hand fingers without any tone loss.Id like to hear what you have as well. if you get any sound track posted let us know
Doc Rickles

Red Flaked Guitar

Post by Doc Rickles »

This is the prettiest guitar I have ever seen. I visited Tommy's shop and seen some more beautiful works in progress. He does great work.
These pictures do not even do it justice. I don't have a dog in the mod discussion but have hearing problems and I can definitely tell a tremendous difference in the clarity of the modded steels.
With hearing aids out tones get muddy and bassy to me. With them out I hear much more clarity and sustain on a modded guitar. I have heard several of Jim Parkers guitars before and after modding and there is much difference in them. Notes are clearer and blend tonally better. I sing with Jim and his tone breaks thru clearer and purer on the modded steels.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Doc Rickles
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."