Connie Smith-Johnny Cox OpryTV show Jan 18th

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Joan Cox

Connie Smith-Johnny Cox OpryTV show Jan 18th

Post by Joan Cox »

Hey everyone..just looked at the line-up for the Opry and saw that Connie Smith has the TV spot along with Marty Stuart, Clint Black, and Andy Griffith. Hope you can all tune in.
Joan Cox
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Will do Joan!!!! Love you all,, See you in Dallas!!
Kim Tidrow

Post by Kim Tidrow »

I will be looking forward to it. I still have on tape, the last time Connie and Johnny were on.Connie is a great promoter of the pedal steel, so don't miss it.
Kim
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Thanks Joan....al Image
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

"Connie is a great promoter of the pedal steel"

She certainly is. And what a lady she is. She is considered by many to be the greatest female country singer. And how she has used our beloved instrument throughout her career.

I shall never forget the day I took my wife and young children on vacation to Nashville and Connie had just released "Once A Day". We heard it often that week. What a song. And what a magnificent job Weldon Myrick did using strings 3 and 5 on the E9th neck.

Weldon was second only to Tom Brumley back then exploring the incredible sounds of the high G# string; that ole Ralph Mooney had added in the evolution of the PSG.

Johnny Cox is just an example of how this precious lady glorifies the steel guitar. Never failing to talk about it and promote it and giving praise to the player. And a voice straight from the gardens of heaven to embelish its unprecedented sound. Marty Stuart must think he died and woke up in that garden.

May God richly bless Connie Smith (and Marty), Johnny Cox, his beloved wife and all of you,

carl<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by C Dixon on 16 January 2003 at 09:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

While reading the comments on this thread I remembered way back when Connie Smith was one of the first artists to publicly acknowledge on her shows her belief and faith in her Saviour Jesus Christ....and this was long before it was fashionable or good for a career to do so....in fact it was almost a negative at the time. She had the courage of her convictions regardless of the consequences and I have always appreciated her for that.
Gene www.genejones.com
Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

That is going to be a great show!! Connie is without a doubt my favorite female country singer. If it was'nt for George Jones she would be the #1 in the whole country field!!! Image

Leigh
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

I have been a fan of Connie Smith ever since I first heard her in 1964, while I was in the service. I have all of her records, and have seen her in person at least 5 times, the last couple of times with Johnny Cox.

My personal treasure of her is a picture of her and I together when she appeared at the opening of the Midwest Country Theater in Sandstone, MN. I also have a picture of Johnny and myself at the same theatre from a couple of years ago. A greater singer or steel player combination is hard to find in this modern age of so-called "country music", and I hope that they continue until the Lord comes for them.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dennis Atkins on 16 January 2003 at 08:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Go get'um Connie and Johnny....ya'll are the best.
Ricky<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 17 January 2003 at 01:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

I was at a dental seminar the last three days in Nashville, so I went to the Ryman to the Opry on Friday. Connie, Johnny, and the whole band did a great job. I don't know if the show will be archived, but if it is check out Connie's impersonation of Loretta Lynn singing "Once a Day".
Ken Latchum

Post by Ken Latchum »

Hi Johnny and Joan:
Can't wait! Leigh and I have front row seats here infront of the TV. Its cold here so we'll wrap up to keep warm and watch a good show.

God Bless
Ken and Leigh
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Well, I just saw Connie Smith and she was great as usual, and Johnny Cox was really pickin that MSA Millenium....al
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

I guess I'll stay up and watch. When they have all them new people on, I'd just as soon watch my catus grow. And It sounds like I'll even get to see the steel player.

Bob
Roxie Klaus

Post by Roxie Klaus »

No Fare! 6:20pm here in Hawaii. I am hearing Johnny on the internet and the Connie Smith segment of Opry Live is playing on TV. It's hard to listen to both at the same time. Johnny looks good behind that red MSA. Good sound too.
Al Burk

Post by Al Burk »

I recorded it and have been watching Johnny's ride over and over. Not only was Johnny great, as always, it was one of the best camera shots of a steel player I've seen on the Opry in a while. Also a nice look at the MSA Millenium.

Al Burk
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Al, Thats what i done kept winding back to watch over and over. It looked like that MSA was almost playing its self. I wonder if Reece Anderson will ever be able to get one of those. I had to say that Reese.LOL
Keep E'm coming Reese.

Gary Steele
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT!!!!! Got home from last nights gig & popped the tape on!! Connie is just as GREAT as ever, and of coarse JOHNNY the GENIUS was in TOP FORM! Looks like that song (Ain't had no lovin) is goin back on our list for awhile!! INSPIRED!!!!!!!
Neil
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

I'm wondering if it's me, or did the sound man cancel out Johnny's break that Connie Smith so graciously requested. The years of accomlishments on the steel guitar were thwarted by whomever was responsible for the sound projection. If I'm in error, I stand to be corrected by whomever was viewing the T.V. programming. The camera work was faultless, and clearly brought Johnny's great technique to my living room. For those who disagree with me, be sure to recall the crisp, and clear lead guitar work that followed Johnny's break. The contrast hit me like a Floyd Patterson 6" punch.

Bill H.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 19 January 2003 at 02:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Bill, I recorded the Opry and played it back
when I got home from playing or opry show and
Johnny sounded great on my TV. He was up in the mix just right. Johnny sure does play great!!
Jerry
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jerry R.

As the saying goes, "The majority rules." I do not wish to be disputatious, however, I feel strongly that something was amiss.
Johnny was picking the daylights out of the catchy tune, and his lead was far below the mix. What a
deprivation of a glorious moment for the steel guitar, and its chance to shine made possible by a superstar.

Bill H.

Kim Tidrow

Post by Kim Tidrow »

I really enjoyed seeing Johnny behind that MSA. It sure is a great looking instrument. The only problem I had was only getting to see one song. Clint Black's interview was during her first song. By the way, did you see Jeff Peterson pickin' the fire out of that dobro during Clint's set? What a great musician and nice guy to boot.
Kim
Vernon Hester

Post by Vernon Hester »

Bill
I had the same problem on the live show, So I checked out my sound system and had the sucker on the wrong settings for some reason. Reset the system and the sound was great on the Sunday repeat. (Sony AV1020 surround system).
Vern
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Bill H.,

Johnny was coming through loud and clear on my end. I watched it at 7:00 and then again 10:00. As a matter of fact, I remember being suprised that Johnny was actually turned up in the mix. He sounded superb!

Respectfully,

------------------
<marquee><H1><i><font color=green><font size=3>Dave Burr
Remington Sustainmaster SD-10 3x4</marquee><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Vern,

Thanks for the input. The broadcast was very entertaining, until I nearly blew my top when the steel ride fizzled out from start to finish. Can you imagine the impact of an artist such as Johnny Cox, playing a close-up camera run, of lets say a "country" song such as "Keys In The Mailbox" or "Invitation To The Blues", with Connie at the mike? If he was to play at proper volume levels, those who are true country fans, would surely want to be tuned in.

Bill H.
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

Bill,
I think if I were you, I would either get a NEW TV, or change cable companies. Something is wrong with your reception.
Neil