Robbie Turner ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Allan Thompson

Robbie Turner ?

Post by Allan Thompson »

Now thanks to you guys on here I now know it was Robbie Turner who played with the Highwaymen. Can anybody tell me what guitar he plays. I saw a show on TV the other night and it looked like a keyless guitar but I could not make the name out. Thanks again.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

On the 2-8-03 broadcast of "Saturday Night Live" he was on with The Dixie Chicks playing a light green Zum D-10.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

THe link above is a pic of Robbie Turner playing a Zum.
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

I think he played a Emmons before the ZUM (on Highwayman) and on his Man of Steel album. A Legrand i think.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

You are correct. In a Nov 97 SGW interview he praises his Emmons Lashley LeGrande.
Manny Shuffles

Post by Manny Shuffles »

I played with him one afternoon in Warrenton, Missouri in a blinding snowstorm and he used a zum. He! He! Joan and Johnny

------------------
Three Chords, a Shuffle and a Cloud of Dust!

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Monster player with great feel. He always sounds fabulous at the convention with great tone. I have his CD's.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Robbie also played on Conway Twitty's video "Rainy Night In Georgia". He played an Emmons in the video. Brett Day, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I think that's Robbie on the new Gary Allen single "Man to Man". Nice parts and great tone...
Bob Anderson

Post by Bob Anderson »

I have the Robby Turner CD..and also an oringinal recording of Bob Wills "Twin Guitar Special"..Robby & Reggie Young do the best version of that song I ever heard. I believe it is the left hand that gives the steel guitar it's voice. Other players with a great voice are Lloyd Green (of course) & Santo Farina of Santo and Johnny. I like the way these people can make their strings sing. There are more, You get the idea. Image
Joan Cox

Post by Joan Cox »

Hey Manny..I remember that day..the record setting blizzard of '99. Wouldn't you know Johnny and I would pick that time to get married?? Robby was one of Johnny's "best man's" that day. Also, Kevin Owens was our usher and Bruce Zumsteg was my "Dad" and walked me down the aisle. My other "Dad" Bob Delaloye got snowed in and couldn't get to the church. What a day..I thought it was really wonderful of those guys to drive in all that snow and stuff to be with us for our wedding. I'm glad you were there too. Image
Joan
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

John, you're right! Robbie Turner does play on Gary Allan's song, "Man To Man". He plays on every song on Gary Allan's "Alright Guy" CD. Brett Day, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel