dva, ZB Custom...then & now

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Van Allen

dva, ZB Custom...then & now

Post by Dave Van Allen »

well... here it is, the photographic juxtaposition.Both guitars are vintage 1972. I guess I am too Image

"it was thirty years ago today, dva taught himself to play..."

Images removed because my ISP thinks I'm using too much web transfer bandwidth.

if you want to see the pix, send me an email.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 04 January 2003 at 12:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kim West

Post by Kim West »

dave--is that the same shirt? just kidding. congrats on thirty years! i'm sitting here trying to remember what i was doing 30 years ago, and can't remember. so i must not be doing the same thing, huh?
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

OK. I'm gonna bite.

Are those the New Form Fitted Graphite Fiber Playing Boots?

I'm gonna have to check some of those puppies out. Image

As I've said. The only axe I've liked as well as my Pro III with Danny Shields' wound pickups were a ZB and an older Zum.

Happy New Year.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 30 December 2002 at 09:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Walter Jones

Post by Walter Jones »

Dave, great picture of the new ZB. I think the expression on your face says it all. It's like you just walked into the room with the prettiest girl there and and you know it. Everyone is looking at her but you know that " She will only dance with the one that brung her".
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

upon yet closer inspection you may se that I am in stocking'd feet in both pictures Image (and some folks contend ZB's had stiff pedal action... )

you can see my boot under the chair in the '73 pic... they were new boots, and were hurting so I pulled 'em off for the set, re-shod for the breaks so as to not get sawdusted on my way to the bar...<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 31 December 2002 at 08:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

from the knees down you look like my best friend Steve Matlock
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I just noticed the BASS sticker on your pac-a-seat. Do you keep all your spinner baits in there?

Hmmm. Maybe we've all been sitting on the ultimate fishing seat all along and just didn't realize it.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I have been a fan of the ZB guitar ever since knew what a steel was!!! I does my heart good to see an old ZB back in action, especially with a player of Dave's caliber. And too, I had a hand in getting this old girl up and running again.

Seriuosly, If you ever get the chance to catch Dave with LTH, then by all means do it. I have heard some of the things they have recorded and the band is great and Dave shines. Great tone and playing. I may have to make a special trip to see and hear one of "my guitars" in action!!! I can tell you this, I plugged this guitar into my twin before shipping it back to Dave. It IS one of the better sounding ZB's that I have ever heard, very gutsy with that classic ZB tone.

And yes folks, sock feet. Who says that a ZB can't be made to play easy and smooth?

Dave, you look like a happy man!!!

Greg