What the hell is BIG EARS thinking?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Kowalik

What the hell is BIG EARS thinking?

Post by Mike Kowalik »

How dare he go on the GOP...sing a real country song like "THE NIGHT LIFE" and give Tommy a 5 second break at most...forget the guitar player and piano pounder...THAT'S A STEEL INTRO AND BRIDGE!!!!!!!!
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Mike, you must remember that he was a drummer for years and not a real musician! Image
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Oh yes...I forgot....those ears have snare written all over them!!!!!
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

But did you notice how Tommy played his part without looking at the fretboard...AWESOME!!!!
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Yeah, I noticed that too, Mike !! Awesome isn't quite the right word and I can't spell the word I want to use !! Where's Bobbe Seymour with his Spell Chuck Book when you need him ?? I've literally run out of words trying to describe Tommy's playing. Now what do I do ??

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

He looked to me like he was mad about the whole thing.

So he really took it out on that Carter Guitar!

Played the hell right out of it!......al Image Image
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

What's the GOP?And who is big ears? Image
Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

Yeah, What Bobby B. said????????????????????????????????

Jeff
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Grand 'ol Opry---Jack Greene
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jack has a great career and reputation, and I would still just say that he probably is not responsible for the arrangement. Would we as Steelrs liked to have heard TW play the heck out of Night Life ? you bet..
tp<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 18 August 2002 at 01:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Jerk Green>>>>>>that splains everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B.F.

------------------
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

en re: stareing at the wall while playing! Over the past few months, I've read several postings wherein the posters have been left in a state of emotional electrocution after seeing a steel player "never miss a note" while looking at the wall! I have been reading music since childhood and have never (for some reason!) been able to look at anything but the music being read; nor have I ever seen a piano player, guitar player,etc. look at anything but the music. Yet miracles never seize!! HJ
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I didn't see the GOO episode in question, since I think I'm a "real musician" and was out there working a job on the bandstand, like "real musicians" do, but I have a few random thoughts. Such as...

Jack Greene is one of the greatest singers ever to play country music, and I dare say any Forumite should and hopefully would be honored to be asked to play for him.

Jack Greene has done more in... and for... country music than most forumites will ever do in their lifetimes.

I've done a couple of package shows that Jack was on and I was truly impressed with how cool he was, how he treated his band, how he was fun to hang out with, and generally how really likeable he was.

I saw Jack at ISGC a couple of years ago and when he found out I played for Johnny Bush his eyes lit up when he spoke so fondly of Johnny and his feelings for him and his talent, and insisted I convey his warmest greetings to Bush. This impressed me greatly, though it was completely in character of Jack, IMHO.

I'm sure Tommy played his ass off regardless of the length of time he got to play, since that is simply what he does.

Jack has had some of the greatest steel players ever work for him, like Buddy Charleton, Ron Elliott, and Doug Jernigan.

Would anybody putting Jack down for one performance he did on a TV show have the cojones to complain about it like this to the man's face?

There's been lots of recordings of Night Life in all fields of music and damn near all of them have not had the famous solo, including ALL of Willie's recordings and he wrote the damn song!

The quality of a musical performance, to me, doesn't depend on the steel solo. If the length of a steel part is the only thing someone judges a piece of music by, I'm not surprised he's home watching TV instead of playing on a bandstand somewheres. Hey, here's an idea: tape the Buddy Emmons solo on the Ray Price record, put it on a cassette loop, and that way you can listen to it for eternity and not be bothered by those pesky singers who only care about the freakin' song!

I drove in from my gig in Houston last night and only had 3 hours sleep, so maybe I missed the "humor" in this thread, but I didn't see too many smiley faces. Sorry if I offended anyone.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 18 August 2002 at 08:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

What Herb said. I know Jack and he always has been a wonderful guy. He has been in poor health for quite some time now and rumor has it that he might have alzheimers and because of this he is not able to perform as well as he has in the past. I can tell you one thing, Jack has always loved steel guitar and would never work without one. Image
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Right on, Herb !!
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I just watched the tape of last night's GOO.

It looked to me that Jack's band had a steel-less arrangement, and TW was there as an afterthought.

I still enjoyed it. I remember the great performance Jack did to open the 1999 ISGC.

He missed the first line of the chorus too.
I suspect he's human, and a fine one at that.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

TOMMY WHITE......where are you when we need you?
You looked really "sour" or at best, discouraged, for whatever reason, during that fantabulous break you took. For once they had a great camera angle on you. You're eyes sparkeled and the left hand technique was really something special.
About the only great things left on the Opry these days is YOU and your playing and that beautiful blond vocalist with the Carol Lee Singers.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Herb: Well spoken, Sir !! I added something to a thread in Events and Annoucements titled Opry and the Steel as well as this thread. I wasn't so much affected by the quantity of Tommy's work but rather the quality of it. And Statue Of A Fool by Jack has got to be one of my all times favorites not only for the changes and progressions but for the original recording vocal stylings that made many a country music fan sit up and pay attention.

And any friend of Johnny Bushes is surely a friend of mine and that goes for you as well !! Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Ray- That brunette aint bad either. She always sparkles and puts here heart into every song.

About Jack Greene. Herb said a mouthful, so no need repeating it. Jack is a great country singer and always loved the steel guitar.....al Image Image
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I guess we wouldn't have this thread if Tommy hadn't played at all. Is that what you want? He can do in 5 seconds more than some of us do in a lifetime. Be proud of it, not start a fuss!

IMHO, Jack Greene is a fine gentleman who appreciates steel guitar as much as anyone I know. Herb is right on.

I can just see some of you guys, sitting there on Saturday night, grimace on your face, just waiting for someone to mess up.
For crying out loud! It's not a steel guitar convention! Why don't you turn it off and go practice? Or, start your own band featuring nothing but steel instrumentals, and play on Saturdays. Just my opinion.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Sorry if the above post offends you, but I meant it. But I love all steel players, whether they play 5 seconds or 5 weeks! Pro or beginners! AND ESPECIALLY ALL OF THE FORUM MEMBERS! And even b0bbeeee.
Al Braun

Post by Al Braun »

Thanks, Herb. That should have given the PopOffs something to think about although folks that feel like it's their bounden duty to tear others down probably will have trouble understanding what you had to say.
Thanks again, even if others gain the stature of Jack as a musician, songwriter and singer, they, oh well...
Al
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Thank all of you for the very nice comments about my playing.
Jack Greene is a very nice and fine gentlemen and I enjoy working for him very much. Last nights performance was a chance for his band leader/guitar player, Penn Pennington to shine, which seldom happens for a bandleader. Which, by the way, Penn is a very nice man as well.
Thanks again and all my best,
TW <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy White on 18 August 2002 at 09:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well....here I go again. Tommy actually played about 8 seconds (not 5) Image , and he put about as much into that 8 seconds as anyone could...he was cookin'. I think we should cut Jack some slack here. He did do good job on the song, and he mentioned all his players' names...most of the new "stars" don't do that. He is country, through and through, and as Herb said, most of us would be honored to back him. Tommy, you did a fine job...matching Penn's exuberance on the tune.

If Tommy ain't complainin', I guess we shouldn't be, either. Tommy shines every week...this was Penn and Mitch's turn.
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

I was fortunate enough to work for Jack Greene for two years. Suffce it to say that
I can't think of one negative thing to say
about him. He always treated every band
member with respect and consideration! That
is a lot more than I can say about some of the other artists I worked with!! Jack loves
pedal steel and always gave me my share of rides. I came into the band when Ron Elliot
left. Ron is also a friend and I feel that he would concur with everything I have said about Jack. Jack is a musician! Don't forget that he is the one playing drums on many of those great Bud Charlton/Leon Rhodes instru-
mentals! Nuff said!
W.C.