Looking for a leg

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

William Peabody

Looking for a leg

Post by William Peabody »

I just got a steel guitar. I guess it's what you'd call console style. The brand is 'White'. The only problem with it is that it's missing a leg. Any suggestions on where I might by one?
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Legs are as rare as hens' teeth, even for common brands. I suggest you investigate getting a machinist to help you out. A microphone stand might work for the leg itself. A machinist can help for the threaded connection.

Good luck.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The legs that Bobbe sells are excellent, but are are not threaded the same size as the thread used on the older Fender steels. Your White lap steel is similar to a Fender Champ of the same era. You'll need to get a new socket and a new leg if you purchase from Bobbe.
The good news is that the new socket is an exact replacement and fits perfectly.
I couldn't find replacement legs for my Dual Professional. I bought the replacement legs and sockets from Bobbe Seymour and am very happy with the results.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

The last time I spoke with Bobbe Seymour about steel guitar legs he would only sell a full set of four--close to $180 with the required sockets, as I recall. Well worth it I'm sure, if the steel in question is worth spending that much money on.