Pick-ups

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Jones

Pick-ups

Post by Daniel Jones »

I have a Mullen D-10, wood body/metal necks, about five years old. About a year ago, I switched from the stock, single-coil Mullen pick-ups to George L, Jimmy Day model pick-ups. While the absence of hum is terrific, they are noticably thicker sounding.

I hear tell that Bill Lawrence makes some pick-ups that are humbuckers but retain some of the sound characteristics of a single coil pick-up. I would love to hear from some of you who have experiece with these and your thoughts about them.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

Here's what Bill Lawrence says: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>The 900 Series Sidewinder:

During the past two years, we've had many inquiries for a pickup that has the sound of a single coil but without the hum. In 1972, I designed such a pickup. The patent was granted September 2, 1975 - US Patent #3902394. This was the first noisefree pickup on the market that sounded like a single coil. The pickup had a line of magnets through the center - like a single coil - and on each side of the magnets was a coil axial parallel mounted to the strings. For this reason, we called it the Sidewinder. While standard humbuckers pick up the strings at two points, the Sidewinder, just like the good ol single coil pickup, picks-up the string at one spot!

Now, the steel guitar is quite a different baby, and it requires a pickup with a totally different frequency range and sound spectrum than a guitar pickup. Early in 2000, I decided to make a Sidewinder for the steel guitar. I built the first prototypes - duplicating the sound of good-sounding single coil pickups.

Also, it was at the same time that Hal Rugg, one of the finest steel players in the scene, called me. During our conversation, he offered to help with the fine-tuning of the Sidewinder. Every week, he tested different versions in the studio and on stage. After each test, we had long conversations about minor changes to achieve the best possible single coil sound. By March, Hal introduced the Sidewinder at the Dallas Steel Guitar Show and got the highest rating for his playing and his sound!</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jerry wallace

Post by jerry wallace »

Daniel, when it comes to Humbuckers,you cant beat the BL's...I have used his 610 , 710 and the 910 and they are all great pickups..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

Jack Turlington

Post by Jack Turlington »

The BL 710 is the best sounding, hottest, and quietest pickup I've ever tried.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I would like to try a pair of Lawrence pickups in one of my PP's, but let me relate a past experience.

Back in 1985, I bought a pair of 705's from Jimmy Day and put them in my Sho~Bud Professional. The pickups sounded great, powerful, and full, but the guitar just didn't sound like a Sho~Bud anymore. So I put the single coils back in and suffered with the noise and low power to get the familiar Sho~Bud sound.

Is there a Lawrence pickup that would not fatten and darken a PP's silky highs? Which model is closest to the Emmons sound?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

jerry wallace

Post by jerry wallace »

Here is a suggestion to those who have not tryed the 710 or 910..Opinions, hearing,type of steel, amp and your personal preference will all vary..

Buy both,try them out for yourself and the variables mentioned above both on and off stage and in the studio if possible..

After making your choice,post the other one under buy and sell..You can get a good portion of your cost back and someone else can then buy it and try it.. Image

This way YOU make the choice rather than relying on others opinions and variables which will probably be different than yours..

This is what I have done and I use single coils..Except in the studio.. Image

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 29 January 2002 at 10:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

I posted a description of the L710 vs the L910 on a Fessy that I once owned. The link is:
http://www.b0b.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/011214.html

but I can't bring up the page with this link - maybe it's hiding in Bar Chatter archives.

I think both pickups are great. I currently use the L710s in 2 of my PSGs and for my $$, I haven't found anything that sounded better to my ear. If I was to replace the stock SC pups in my Emmons PPb, it would probably be with the L910s, but I like the originals in there just fine.

All the advice in the world, however, just won't replace your taking the time and effort to swap out the PUs and give them a fair chance in YOUR steel.

Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

I own that guitar that Steve was talking about
and I didn't like the sound of the 710 so I put the George L pickup in it(Jimmy Day model). That sounded better, but I wasn't quite sure so I found some Emmons single coils and put them in. They were nice, but I'm still going to try some Lawrence 910's in there just to be sure.Then I guess it'll be a day where I try all three pickups in the guitar!