Fiddle thru a nasvhville 400 - what sounds good?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

DJ Sillito

Fiddle thru a nasvhville 400 - what sounds good?

Post by DJ Sillito »

Do any of you fellow steelers have a fiddle in the band especially one who plays thru a nashville 400? Our fiddle player is looking for the right combo of effects and settings. Right now it sounds kind of "muddy" . This amp should be able to produce a clear bright sound. Anyways this is a little of the steelin topic but there is such a good variety of opinions and advice on this forum. I would appreciate your help.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

friend scott joss plays fiddle for dwight yoakam(sp) and uses nashville 400s with paper center discs instead of the aluminum to give a warmer sound. he doesn't seem to have a problem with them.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

We had a fiddle player from Ocala sit in about a month ago. I think he's working with Freddy Carr. He had a Nashville 400 and a Goodrich Volume pedal. Sounded great.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

The owner's manual that came with my old Nashville had suggested settings for steel (E9 and C6), guitar, and fiddle. Do you have those settings? I'll look them up for you, if you don't have them.

Lee, from South Texas
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Hello!
I wasn't involved with steel guitar at the time that the Nashville 400 was introduced, but I have been around quite a few fiddle players during my service here at Peavey and almost all of them used the Nashville 400. When I was working as an artist rep here at Peavey, the Nashville 400 and the original Session 400's were being used everywhere by fiddle players and still is today. The only other Peavey amps that I have seen being used for fiddle applications are the Special and Special 130 amps.

However, Peavey endorser Hoot Hester is presently using a Nashville 1000. He stopped by the Peavey demo room at Scotty's in 1999 and tried the amp out and it sounded great to me.

By the way, fiddle settings are provided in both the 400 and 1000 operating guides and are available online from our website. If I can be of assistance, I can be reached here at Peavey toll free at 1-877-732-8391.
DJ Sillito

Post by DJ Sillito »

Thanks for the replies. Our fiddle player uses the suggested amp settings from the owner's manual. I guess he's also looking for a good effects combo to give his fiddle a little dimension I guess. Does anyone use chorus and/or delay and/ or reverb? etc. And does using the mute on the strings take away from a clean clear sound? When he plays straight thru the amp ( no effects) and with the suggested amp settings it still sounds a little "muddy" so to speak. Any thoughts?
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

The fiddler in my band uses a Fishman wedge amp. Sounds great. Before the Fishman she used a Crate. They are pricey though, around $1000. Your fiddler might want to experiment with different pick-ups. But for me, a lot of the sound comes from the instrument and the hands.

cheeers,
Drew Howard