Theory clarification

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kevin Reckmo

Theory clarification

Post by Kevin Reckmo »

Does the term major third refer to the relationship between only the root & the third (i.e. two intervals above the root) OR to any two notes that are seperated by two intervals?

Thanks, peace
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Bluezmo,

You wrote,

"Does the term major third refer to the relationship between only the root & the third (i.e. two intervals above the root) OR to any two notes that are seperated by two intervals"

Any two notes separated by 4 half tones is a major third.

Example:

Cmaj7 has two major thirds. C to E and G to B.

E aug has two major thirds also, E to G# and G# to B#.

F9th has two major thirds also, F to A and Eb to G.

There are of course others all over the place. So again any two notes separated by 4 half tones, is a major third.

Of couse any two notes separated by 3 half tones is a minor third. Regardless of the chordal composition.

carl<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by C Dixon on 29 July 2000 at 04:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Reckmo

Post by Kevin Reckmo »

First of all thanks to you. Now, one other quick question if I may, Image).

In the ex: pertaining to the Cmaj9 & Cmin9, I noted the Bb & B. These are dominant & major seventh tones. Of course they also signify the minor & major thirds over a major chord. The question? Would we have a C9th without the presence of the "B's"?

Btw, the "meat & potatoes" comment is very insigtful. I've been playing slide in a normal tuning on a 6 string for a few years. I've never bothered to analyze; I just improvise & play what sounds good. Now I'm putting all the theory my guitar teacher & I referred to as the "*aCk*" factor to good use.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Peace, Image)