Hi Larry,

Doug Beamer, and Mike Ihde both suggest
this: low to high Eb,C,C#,E,G,Bb,C,D.

To confirm this select last 45 days on the
no peddlers history meter. When the start
of the list comes up scroll to the bottom,
and click on "page two". On that list there
is a posting titled Leavitt Tuning from
Lucky Oceans. Read the replies for verification.

regards, Maurie
Larry Kunkel

Post by Larry Kunkel »

Thanks Maurie.
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

Here's the link to that topic.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Has anyone considered raising the Leavitt tuning a major third? From high to low, the tuning would be F# E D B G# F(with E and G on the bottom). this would give you a higher range, more unwound strings and it would be easier to extend the tuning downwards on a ten string.(The strings wouldn't be as thick on the bottom.)
All the best-Andy
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

After going to Mike's site and listening to what he can do with that six stringer using the subject tuning I would not change a thing. It's an amazing jazz sound for steel guitar. On my list of things to do.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I finally tried this tuning (6-string) last night. Wow. I immediately felt at home. Everything made sense, and I have barely jumped into it. I mess around with a lot of pop/rock stuff and having the sus2 chords on hand is very nice. Great tuning for single note, major scale riffs. Can't even imagine the possibilies with other modes.

I'd been playing the 6-string C6 tuning until last night. It's also a great tuning to use, but I think Leavitt tuning is gonna work well for me. Can't wait to see what's in store...

By the way, that chord you get on the lower 4 strings (C#, E, G, Bb): what's it called? I'm not good with chord theory. All I know is it's big and jazzy.
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

E Diminished
Wade Medlock

Post by Wade Medlock »

I have an early 70s Maverick which I'm trying out as a non-pedal guitar. I'd like to try the Leavitt tuning. Can anyone tab a little 4-bar ditty in Leavitt style that'd give me something to hack at?
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

chris, e diminished, c# diminished, g diminished, and a Bb diminished. All the same chord, built on min 3rds.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Marc & Roy: Thanks!!

Dim chords repeat every 3 frets and aug chords every 4 frets...is that the rule of thumb?
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Wade,

I tabbed out an arrangement of "Someone to Watch Over Me" for the Leavitt tuning that appears in Steel Guitar World magazine, Vol. 5, Issue #27/28 (combined issue). It's under the heading Lap of Luxury.

dougb
www.dougbsteel.com
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

To Roy,
Thanks for the compliments after hearing "Tenderly" on my site.
Just for the record it's at.... www.megsinet.net/~junod/musicmikeihde.html
To Chris,
The reason the bottom 4 strings make a diminished seventh chord is mainly because a dim.7th is the same as a Dom7th(b9) chord without a root. They are one of the most common chords in Jazz tunes and Bill put it there to make them easy to get. For example, a C#dim7th chord ( which is also E,G and Bb dim) can also be a C,Eb, Gb or A7(b9) so with one group of 4 notes you get 8 chords. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
To Wade,
E-mail me and I'll send you a complimentary copy of "Moonlight in Vermont" and you'll get an idea of how well this tuning works. mihde@berklee.edu
To Marc,
How ya doin' ! Drop me a line some time will ya. Someone asked about the tuning you used on your Lap Steel with Shania on one of the live TV concerts you did. Drop it in here some day, OK? The Flat Rats miss you.
To Chris,
Yes dim. chords every 3 frets, Augmented every 4 frets. Dim.chords are made from intervals of minor thirds stacked on top of each other while Aug. chords are made from Major thirds stacked up. A Diminished scale is usually a whole step (2 frets) then a half step (1 fret) and repeat the whole/half thing till you get back to the root. Augmented chords use the whole tone scale which is made from notes a whole step away from each other.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Ihde on 20 January 2000 at 11:59 PM.]</p></FONT>