Pedal steel for sale Some Questions first!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duane Becker

Pedal steel for sale Some Questions first!

Post by Duane Becker »

I am posting this for a friend who has a pedal steel S 10 3 pedals and 3 knees, Emmons setup. He wants to sell it, problem is there is no manufacture name on the steel and no case. Can you all take a look at it on the pics and let me know what you think? I've played it and seems to play ok, no major issue but needs TLC, and someone to play it. It looks like its been refinished. He wants $1,000 for it. I need some input from the steel guitar world before I list it for sale. I'd appreciate all comments.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Your target buyer for this is probably someone who is local so they can try it, who is familiar with fixing and maintaining pedal steels, who probably has a bunch of other ones, and who wants another for local gigs where he wouldn't want to take a nice steel.

I recently sold a Rayline, which is a lesser brand but still known. Even with a low price it still took a month to sell because it wasn't mainstream. A steel with no name at all is an even tougher sell. Don't be surprised if you end up getting less than $1000, but you might want to be patient and let people kick the tires a bit at $1000 and see what happens.

On the other hand if it's a refinished Sho-Bud S-10 where they removed all the badges and indicators when they repainted it, you could get more than $1000 for it. I don't know enough about Sho-Buds to say whether it is one though. Someone else can hop in with that.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

A Sho-Bud fret board, An all pull changer, Welding shop pedals (Not Cast), Good looking end plates and legs. Knee levers, Set up proper, It would have possibilities as a first steel for someone. Or a good second guitar to play a Devils Den Bar where a player would not want to take his Sho-Bud LDG.

Post it for 1000.00 see what happens.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

One more shot of the entire undercarriage would helpful to people. It’s hard to tell if the pulls are “permanent” - welded in place or if they can be moved.
It kind of looks like a Sho~Bud “2 over 2“changer to me but I’m no expert.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Thanks guys for your input, I played it for about 1/2 hour and the undercarriage seemed to be interchangeable.
We've got it listed on the local Spokane Wa. craigslist. I'm hesitant to list it for sale here on the forum without case, and manufacture name.
I agree it seems to have ShoBud parts, and it would be great for a starter steel. Do you all think it is worth one grand?