George Ls PF-1 equivalent?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Schultz

George Ls PF-1 equivalent?

Post by Greg Schultz »

Hi friends, I have a JCH SD10 with a George L's PF-1 that sounds amazing. In fact I like the tone just a hair better than the tone on my Zum...which also sounds fantastic. So I want to try the Zum with a PF-1, but George Ls doesn't make them any more. And I don't want to take the pickup out of the JCH. What would be the closest pickup to the PF-1 that is available? Thanks.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hard to say what it is about the JCH/PF1 combo you find so attractive. It could just be the guitar or the combination of the 2.

Anyway, the Paul Franklin spec'd GL PF1 used iron blades and had a DC resistance of 18.6Ω. This is only part of the PF1 character though. Wire size and other factors contribute to the sound.

I don't know that there is an equivalent in another brand. Possibly check with Scott Swartz who builds pickups at www.steeltronics.com or maybe the people at Telonics.

Check with Geo L's dealer Bill Ferguson to see if the PF-1 is still in production and avaiable.

FWIW, I had PF1's in a 96 Mullen that I wasn't happy with. I put back the original single coils but I have already sold the GL's. Perhaps someone will answer your wtb ad with a used one.
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Since GL has transitioned out of the pickup business and the availabilty has dwindled, I went ahead and analyzed the magnetic and electrical characteristics of the GL line and can build duplicates of any of the models.

My versions will be constructed with 3D print plastic parts rather than the injection mold plastic parts used by GL so the appearance is slightly different but I can match the electrical and magnetics characteristics.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Greg Schultz

Post by Greg Schultz »

Thank you Jerry for the info and connection to Scott Swartz. I agree it's hard to know where the magic is in a guitar + pickup combination. It also seems silly to chase a sound that is only a tiny fraction better than the sound I already have, which I like quite a bit. I'll find out when I swap out the pickup.

Scott I am intrigued. I will email you about a repro.
Greg Schultz

Post by Greg Schultz »

Hi Scott, I sent you an email and also message via your website. Look forward to finding out cost and process. Thanks, Greg