value on my three extra pedal steel guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nickolas Schweitzer

value on my three extra pedal steel guitars

Post by Nickolas Schweitzer »

Hello there, during the search for the correct pedal steel for myself, I have come across a few pedal steels and, maybe like many of you, am a bit of a hoarder. I play in a few cover bands and I keep holding on to the idea that some day it might be nice to have a few extra steels laying around, but i've had them for a few years and they really don't do much but sit, so
I'm thinking of maybe listing them for sale, I got all of them in poor condition and took all three, over the years to Jim Palenscar, so all the work has been done by him in oceanside. I wont mention how much I purchased them for, but it was pretty cheap and then I spent a little to have Jim work on them, so I dont have much in them. Anyways, let me know what you think value wise, I might just keep them. The 2 msa guitars were purchased off of the forum and the fender was off a pedal steel facebook page.

the first is an msa u12 it sounds really good and it honestly it is the one I like the most, so Im really not too motivated to sell, sounds and plays great, it also has a wrist lever instead of a vertical, but it does have a lot of bar dings and one bad paint chip which makes me think its maybe a repaint? idk about msa guitars?

second is an msa sd12 extended e9th
I got this one from a forum member who had this in a case in a flooded basement on its side and the c6 neck was underwater, so you can see the damage to the wood, this guitar plays well, but cosmetically it is rough it has a 0 pedal and a franklin pedal and a vertical knee, Jim removed all the c6 stuff, I think it all still works, which I also have if someone is interested, and he installed the pad. I planned on keeping it in the band room for rehearsals.

third guitar I got form a guy off of a facebook pedal steel page from a guy that didn't know how to play steel, and I don't think he knew how to work it, there are 6 rods but only 4 pedals so somewhere in this guitar's life it got the wrong rods, because they didnt fit in the pedals, so Jim turned the nuts on the end of the rods down. It looks like it had very little play time and only a few dings and it is a long scale.

I have a fender pedal steel in rough condition Im adding peddles and levers to, I also have a gfi ulta that I love and use to gig with, but I thought maybe sell of these three and consolidate into something really nice? Not hurting for money and they have lived in my garage for years and could continue living there realistically
thanks for your info.