My D13th setup

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

My D13th setup

Post by Roger Rettig »

I've had the guitar a week and, already, have made some changes. It was inevitable that, while I theorized 'on paper', actually playing the thing would reveal the odd faux pas when I 'personalized' my setup (thanks, b0b!), slightly altering JC's design. It's essentially his notion, of course.

It's difficult, going from a D10 to assimilating twelve strings and this hybrid tuning. I only became aware of Johnny Cox' clever idea just over a year ago and I jumped in with both feet, disregarding the hurdles I'd face at my advanced age.

Anyway, it's done now. I know I should absorb this as one tuning but I confess that I still see it in two halves: D9th and D6th. Of course, the lines blur; my old favourite E9 KL (Bs to Bb, on RKL) is now superseded by pedal 5, virtually the same as the old standard Emmons P5 on a D10.

I'm finding 6th-type sounds far easier to get to grips with but it's all coming slowly.

I'll be fine as long as nobody calls me for a gig!!! I'm not quite 'show-ready'!!! :)

(PS: The asterisks indicate where there's a pull that I've wound off after a few days. I may reassign them or - just leave them there.)

Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Beautiful instrument and congratulations. That should keep you busy for a while! Admirable that you are digging in on a new tuning. And I know you have been waiting for a while and imagine the excitement and intense focus.

Enjoy your journey!
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA