What is the biggest difference in GFI Ultra and Expo models

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Lenhart

What is the biggest difference in GFI Ultra and Expo models

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I have read the descriptions of each on their website and I can see the cosmetic differences,,.but I am curious from players of both, if their is a tone and/or playability difference.

I am just a daily, non professional player, so I am wondering if the Expo would be just fine for me...I am looking at D10s only.

Thanks in advance for your input...all are appreciated.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've owned 3 GFIs. An Expo S-10, An Ultra D-10 and an Ultra S-10 with pad (SD-10). The only reason, when I bought the Ultra S-10 was to get a keyless model. Tone, to my ears, was about the same, however I'm not a fan of George L's pickups and installed Lawrence 710's. I never checked the "cabinet drop" on the Expo, but there is zero on the Ultra I have. I would guess that to be the aluminum frame design on the Ultra models.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steven Black

GFI reply to Jack Stoner

Post by Steven Black »

the only difference is the Ultra has 5 knee levers, but the expo comes with four knee levers, you can get the expo in a 8 pedal 5 knees on request, and I think the pickups are GFI-II where the ultras are GFI-III, the expo has a traditional wrap around look on the endplates, but other than that both play well, and the guitars have a lifetime warranty.
Jack Stoner

Re: GFI reply to Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Steven Black wrote:the only difference is the Ultra has 5 knee levers, but the expo comes with four knee levers, you can get the expo in a 8 pedal 5 knees on request, and I think the pickups are GFI-II where the ultras are GFI-III, the expo has a traditional wrap around look on the endplates, but other than that both play well, and the guitars have a lifetime warranty.
New GFI's are being supplied with Steeltronics pickups since George L's discontinued making pickups.

The Ultra S-10 and S-10 with pad (SD-10) stock is 4 knee levers. A 5th can be ordered/added but not standard. The 5th Knee lever is standard on the Ultra D-10, don't know about the Expo D-10.

I added the 5th knee lever to my new S-10 with pad with GFI knee lever kit.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steven Black

GFI reply to Jack Stoner

Post by Steven Black »

Thanks for the reply Jack, I was not sure on the pickups I found some pickups especially the George L models to have different tones some bad and some not bad, don't know why they are different, it is not because of the guitar I think it is how the pickups are wound.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

When I played a GFI, the GFI I played had the GFI II pickups on both necks. The GFI I played was a GFI Ultra D-10 with eight pedals and five knees. The first steel I ever sat behind, a Sierra Artist S-10 had a George L's pickup. I'd played the GFI from December of '04 to April 2010, when I got my current steel.