Sho Bud volume pedal pot replacement recommendations?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Bubenik

Sho Bud volume pedal pot replacement recommendations?

Post by Travis Bubenik »

I have an old Sho Bud volume pedal and the pot’s going bad I believe. Tried a few good sprays with Deoxit but still getting an increasing amount of noise when activating it - and occasionally the sound fully cuts out.

Thing is - I LOVE my tone with this pedal. Haven’t been able to replicate it with a Hilton or Goodrich pedal and I don’t want to lose it.

So - will replacing the pot affect that sweet sweet tone? (I don’t know if mine has the original pot.)

And whether or not it will - are there generally recommended replacement pots for these pedals? (Someone told me Clarostat Type J 500k is a good bet.)

Thanks as always!
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Dunlop.
Raybob Bowman

Post by Raybob Bowman »

PEC
Sierra U12 4+5 / 1933 Dobro / homemade Tele B-bender
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Goodrich pots are as good as it gets. Tom Bradshaw or Bill Ferguson can fix you up. The old style pots are long gone so I can't say how the tone may compare.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Travis, drop me an email and I can fix you up with a new pot for your volume pedal.
I also include a new string with every pot.

bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Dunlop makes you can get Tom Bradshaw Pedal Steel Guitar Products. The pot is made to military standards and the wiper and the contacts are sealed in plastic. I bought one back in 2008 and or still going strong.
I hope it will do ya,
Tommy Shown
Steelman From The Bayouland
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Tommy
That is the same volume hot that I sell.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.