Yamaha THR100H DUAL

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alex Cattaneo

Yamaha THR100H DUAL

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Has anyone tried this amp for pedal steel? Seems similar to the Quilter Mach 3, in terms of architecture and features at least. Looks like an interesting option for a true stereo setup or double duty.
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

I've not tried that particular amp. But I've had a Yamaha THR10C for several years now. It is still my favorite fender deluxe model. It sounds fabulous with pedal steel and seems to capture the feel of the real thing as well. At times it came eerily close to capturing that old Lloyd Green thing from the little darlin years (minus my shitty playing of course).

I believe that deluxe algorithm is one of the models in the 100HD. Again, I was so impressed with the little 10c unit that I started looking seriously at the 100HD with the matching two speaker cabinet. It seems like a really well thought out concept especially with the 2x12 cab. You can have a clean sound and a dirty sound and mix them together or have a stereo or two instrument rig. Built-in reverb and drive. I suspect it's a great amp.

Reviews in the guitar forums were generally very positive. The most consistent critique was that it just wasn't loud enough.

Again, I've never played the thing but I bet it would probably be fabulous especially with the 2x12 cabinet that it's designed to drive.

I'm not super familiar with the quilter, but I think it's a totally different design. The Yamaha box is basically a modeler. Not sure what their power section looks like, probably class d. The quilter I believe does an analog SS fender like preamp circuit with a class d power section.