Nashville 100 connections to TASCAM Recorder

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kenneth Smith

Nashville 100 connections to TASCAM Recorder

Post by Kenneth Smith »

need advice on best method to record using my Nashville 100 amp into a TASCAM DP3 recorder. I tried connecting cord from Line Out on the back of the amp to a "Guitar" input on the recorder but I am not sure if this is correct best. Could that damage the power Amp. Should I use a MIC in front of the amp and record using the natural sound?

Nashville 100 amp
Delay switch connected through the as Preamp
Emmons D10

Previously I have used my Peavey Austin 400 amp with the Preamp out post to the recorder and seemed to work good. The Nashville amp is different.
Emmons D10, Goodrich Pedal, Austin 400 amp
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The “Line-Out” is a high level output (usually a volt or more), and may overload the input of some devices. But a “Guitar” input is normally meant for something in the range of a half a volt or more, so it may work okay. The only way to know is to try it, and no damage to either the amp or recorder should occur. The most realistic sound is captured with a microphone, since it is capturing the sound from the speaker itself. (Any recording done using “Line Out” will eliminate the characteristics of the speaker and cabinet.)

Maybe others who have that specific recorder can offer more suggestions.