WTB 10 String Steel Practice board (for pedal steel rookie)

Post here if you're looking for something special
Lloyd Walsh

WTB 10 String Steel Practice board (for pedal steel rookie)

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

Looking for a 10 string practice board i can have handy to work on my right hand picking and pick blocking with. I see them show up from time to time in the "for sale" classified section but i'm always too slow.

Any builders out there making another one or someone who wants to pass theirs along to a pedal steel beginner? I see lots of DIY plans but my skills in building are about as bad my picking/blocking.

thanks,
Lloyd
Hack Professor of Art
Bass player: upright/electric
Lousy Guitarist
Rookie Steel player (pedal and non-pedal)
Instagram Artwork profile: lloydwalsh7405
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Lloyd,
You could contact Martin Accordions in Scott, La. Talk to fellow forumite Clarence “Junior” Martin or his daughter Penny. I provided him with an idea (and prototype) I had and he’s professionally built 2 that I know of. I have one and the other is his. The design is perfect for right-hand practice, but is also useful for left hand practice. Another thing, you can use it to practice tuning by ear. It will fit in a backpack so you can bring it wherever you want and practice at your convenience. If I can find some pics of mine I’ll post them.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Lloyd Walsh

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

Hey Marty,

Thank you for the suggestion. If you get a chance please post some pictures of yours.
It sounds exactly like what I’m looking for.
Hack Professor of Art
Lousy Guitarist
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Lloyd. I have made and sold several practice boards and sold them here on the forum. Send me an email if you are interested. Thx
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Image Lloyd,
Here is a picture of the prototype I used for 15+ years while touring full time. I made a new post in New Products with some additional info.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Lloyd Walsh

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

Thanks again Marty!
Hack Professor of Art
Lousy Guitarist