Suggested strings for 2nd lapsteel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Neville Robinson

Suggested strings for 2nd lapsteel

Post by Neville Robinson »

First I must thank you all for my welcome.

Now my question:- I have a lapsteel tuned to C6. My lovely wife, of 52 years, bought me a Gretsch G5700 it arrives tomorrow, bearing in mind I need to have access to much tuition what would the panel of boffins advise for a tuning for the new guitar?

By the way it seems that I am the only English man from UK on this forum. Unless you know differently!!

Please do not mistake english humour for any thing disrespectful, we are the same but different!
The More I Learn The More I Realise How Little I Know
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Welcome Neville. There are many members from the UK on the list. If you go to the "Members" link and type in UK in the search box next to location, you will see everyone. There are a lot.

As for your guitar, if you like what you have now and don't want to learn a completely different tuning, you can do a A6 tuning which will be the same grips you are used to now but with a lower voicing. If you want to try something new, Dobro tuning; GBDGBD is a very good, easy to play tuning and there are a ton of lessons on on Lessons with Troy you can learn from.

Good luck and have fun.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Neville Robinson

Post by Neville Robinson »

Thank you. I will look In to those tunings.
The More I Learn The More I Realise How Little I Know