Ian Tyson

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Rick Barnhart

Ian Tyson

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Canadian legend Ian Tyson has passed on from this world. I know many of us loved his music.

Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Rest in Peace, Ian. Cowboyography has such a great balance of songwriting and memorable steel parts.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I can't imagine that anyone had as big an influence on my musical directions as Ian. I've been playing and singing his songs since I was fifteen. "Someday Soon", "Four Strong Winds" and "Summer Wages" are probably the songs most familiar to the steel guitar crowd, but that is just a small part of his output over the years. A giant. Steel guitar was often a big part of his sound. Buddy Cage, Ben Keith, Ed Ringwald (aka Peewee Charles), Jeff Bradshaw, Tommy Spurlock, Ron Dann and Stan Stewart are just a few of the steel players that come to mind as having worked with him over the years.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

He was a Great songwriter! His song "Someday Soon," was recorded by many singers. My favorite version of that song was recorded 1969 by singer Judy Collins. It featured The Legendary Buddy Emmons on Pedal Steel Guitar. Others have recorded the song and they are really great, but Buddy Emmons nailed it on that version of the song!
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I know many of us loved his music.
Me too. Sad.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Terry Winter

Post by Terry Winter »

Boy this is sad and heartbreaking. Grew up listening to Summer Wages and many others.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I was lucky enough a few years back to catch Ian in a solo concert... opened by Corb Lund.... great show.

Seeing Ian live was so moving.... so real.

He said "This next song has paid a lot of alimony", and then did Someday Soon.

Wow, all I could think of... what does a Candian cowboy do in New York in the 60's

A true pioneer.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

The Great Speckled Bird album, with Buddy Cage, is incomparable
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Speaking of Buddy Cage, Buddy told me a story about being on tour with The Great Speckled Bird and how tough as nails Ian was. Buddy said that Ian's beautiful wife Sylvia was always being hit on and Ian could be somewhat jealous. At one venue they played in some mid-western town, there were a couple drunk guys in the audience whistling, hooting and hollering at Sylvia. After they got done with the show and were loading their rental car, the two big drunk guys went up to Sylvia in the parking lot and made some very sexual comments toward and about Sylvia. A fist fight started between Ian and the two guys, with Ian punching the daylights out of one of them. But with two guys to fight off, N.D. Smart, Amos Garrett and Buddy jumped in to help out, causing enough distraction for Ian to go into the open car trunk and pull out a tire iron. Buddy said Ian was someone he would never want to get into a fight with, as when he was in fight mode there was nothing that could stop him. According to Buddy, Ian took that tire iron and beat both of the drunks bloody causing them to run for their lives. Buddy said they were all scared that Ian would kill them and was relieved when they ran off. I can't do justice to the imagery that Buddy provided in telling this story and others of being on the road with Ian, but I'll never forget it. Buddy had huge respect for Ian and would get together with him whenever Ian was in town (NY/CT/NJ area).
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

John, as I understand it, also from Buddy, the fight happened in Calgary in front of what was then the Calgary Inn (now the Westin) during Festival Express. The version I heard differed in a couple of other particulars too, but Ian did wind up with a broken hand out of the deal.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Here is a tribute to Ian Tyson published in the January 26, 2023, in the Nashville Scene, written by steel player, writer/researcher, and fellow forum member Pete Finney:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/fe ... 85e64.html