BIAB IPad app. What does or doesn’t it do?

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Rick Schmidt

BIAB IPad app. What does or doesn’t it do?

Post by Rick Schmidt »

So I just found that there’s an app that can connect my BIAB on my computer to my IPad. What exactly are it’s capabilities? There’s very little info that I’ve been able to find.
In a perfect world, I would like to make arrangements on my computer and then transfer them to my IPad to use on gigs…leaving my computer at home.
Am I dreaming? Is that why they created the app?
If so, would that include RealTracks and RealDrums? Enquiring minds etc.
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

I haven't heard of that Rick, but I don't get out much :-).

Why not just export each tune as an audio file and transfer that to your iPad? (File | Save Special | Save Song As .m4a). I realize you wouldn't have the chord chart display...

- Slim
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

Not a lot. PG Music created an app for Ipad and for Android then forgot about them. Both have been abandoned and are obsolete.

I never used the Ipad app but the Android app allowed you to download and playback Band-in-a-Box song files as long as your Band-in-a-Box computer was connected to the internet. The app would not work without your Band-in-a-Box computer acting as a server.

Bad idea, poor implementation and quickly forgotten.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

Jim Fogle wrote:... The app would not work without your Band-in-a-Box computer acting as a server.
Wow, that is pretty silly! So, for instance, if you wanted to use it on the gig, you'd have to have wifi access at the gig location (or an ipad with a wireless connection).

- Slim
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

Slim Heilpern wrote:
Jim Fogle wrote:... The app would not work without your Band-in-a-Box computer acting as a server.
Wow, that is pretty silly! So, for instance, if you wanted to use it on the gig, you'd have to have wifi access at the gig location (or an ipad with a wireless connection).

- Slim
That is my understanding.

On the other hand, at a gig why would you want to playback Band-in-a-Box song files instead of rendered stereo master audio song files?

Please note I'm bashing the implementation of PG Music's apps. I'm still very much a fan of Band-in-a-Box.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW