Ernie Ball C6 0.66 string will not fit in GFI Ultra changer?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Thomas Alexander

Ernie Ball C6 0.66 string will not fit in GFI Ultra changer?

Post by Thomas Alexander »

Hi all,

I'm having a small problem with my GFI Ultra D10. I am changing the strings on the C6 neck and the 10th string will not mount in the changer. It looks like the base of the string is too wide to fit into the slot in the changer.

Is this a known problem with Ernie Ball strings? Has anybody encountered this and found a workaround, or am I just SOL with these particular strings? I bought two packs and both 0.66 10th string have the same problem.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I used George L's (made by GHS), SIT and D'Addario .068 and .070 for the C6th 10 string (C) without problems on the Ultra D-10 I had.

Buy a couple separate strings from a different brand.

As most brands use a .068 or .070 the .066 is a light gauge for the C string.

FWIW, GFI uses SIT strings on new guitars.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Thomas Alexander

Thanks Jack, I will try those. I was planning to order some Jagwire strings for it, but wanted to pick up something cheap in the meantime and Ernie Ball was all I could find in town.
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

I use NYXLs which is a .70 and it is a complete pain in the butt to get that string changed because it doesn’t neatly fit in the slot on my Sho-Bud. I have to keep something underneath the ball end to prevent slipping while I turn the key head until it has enough tension to stay in place on its own. By the time I get it to pitch it’s so taught that it’s not going anywhere but it always takes twice as long to finagle that string.
Thomas Alexander

I will give that a shot tomorrow, thanks Colin.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I have 2 GFI 12Us. That is the same problem I have with a .068 12th string. I kink the ball to one side so the end of the string and ball end looks like a ( b ). Then I use a pair of wire pliers or 4" vice grips and slightly flatten the the winding so the ball and string slides freely into the slot, and the ball hooks solid in the curved recess.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bobby D. Jones wrote: I kink the ball to one side so the end of the string and ball end looks like a ( b ). Then I use a pair of wire pliers or 4" vice grips and slightly flatten the the winding so the ball and string slides freely into the slot, and the ball hooks solid in the curved recess.
That would certainly work, but I'd probably just file the inside edges of the hook slightly with a small rattail file. You'd only have to remove a couple thousandths of material and that problem would be gone forever. :)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Donny Hinson wrote:
Bobby D. Jones wrote: I kink the ball to one side so the end of the string and ball end looks like a ( b ). Then I use a pair of wire pliers or 4" vice grips and slightly flatten the the winding so the ball and string slides freely into the slot, and the ball hooks solid in the curved recess.
That would certainly work, but I'd probably just file the inside edges of the hook slightly with a small rattail file. You'd only have to remove a couple thousandths of material and that problem would be gone forever. :)
That makes me wonder if the finger on the GFI Ultra D-10 I had was altered since I didn't have a problem with .070 or .068 strings. It was a 20 year old used guitar and the only history was it had been through several owners and had been at Billy Cooper's steel store at one time.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I've not owned a GFI, but a few others with changer slots. I've always been able to flatten the windings enough so that the string slips into the slot.

Heavy strings like 68 & 70 are thick enough but with the lapped over lock wrap, they are sometimes difficult to fit the string slot. A pliers will generall flatten it enough. Once it's snugged up and taut, it'll be just fine.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I use the method Bobby describes, except I don't try to flatten the windings. I made a crude drawing in this thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... light=slot
Thomas Alexander

Bobby D. Jones wrote:I kink the ball to one side so the end of the string and ball end looks like a ( b ).
This worked for me, thanks Bobby!
Brint Hannay wrote:I made a crude drawing in this thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... light=slot
Very helpful, thank you.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I got to thinking I had a picture of the way I shape the 12th string to fit my GFI.
As the picture shows, The string winding is flattened for about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to allow it to slide into the finger grove.

I am afraid to start messing with the slot.
GFI have used very hard fingers in some guitars. They are Stainless Steel fingers, (Made by a sintering process, The same process Tungsten Carbide cutting bits are made by.)